Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JT4
^^ Sorry didn't read the link you provided yet, but does the A6/A7 spare clear the rotors (especially the front) of the RS7?
I had to order a custom 20" rim from Audi. I doubt the stock A6/A7 spare is a 20" but I don't know for sure. Here's the part number if you need:
- 4G0601027 20" spare wheel with 145/65-20 Continental spare tire
Old 02-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

and... where would you store the spare if you had one?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
I find it odd but whatever. I've never had to use a spare in my entire life of driving. Interestingly, I put in a spare in my RS7 after discovered that I could take the spare unit and tool kit from the A6/A7.
Thinking about it, the last time I had to use a spare tire was in 1996 in my '94 Toyota 4Runner.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timshuwy
and... where would you store the spare if you had one?

When reading reviews of the Q7 online, reviewers said that the space under the cargo space in the rear kept the sound system, or something, and they would have preferred the space for a spare instead.

But since we can't do anything about it now, it seems there really isn't space to store it. Someone on the forums wanted to go offloading or something and said they were looking in to carrying it on the roof rack but asked if there was something that could be affixed to the rear door.

I think the trend towards RFs is similar to the trend towards AS tires 10-15 years ago. It might save the manufacturer money and it gives the customer some piece of mind not having to worry about switching tires (***) or getting a flat (RFs). For most buyers, I bet it's a convenient feature that is inching towards becoming standard, but for the exceptions it can be a real headache. I'd prefer a softer ride on the Q7 and having the space/weight taken up by a spare, so long as its hidden.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

On my SQ5, I have a deflated compact spare, with the center housing what I believe to be the subwoofer box.

I've had 2 BMW's in the past 10 years with RFT's with no issues at all. The first car had a couple of nails, and the local tire shop just plugged them. I ended up buying a DIY plug kit (there are some really decent ones online that had amazing reviews). I have yet to use it though.

I like the RFT's. Sure, it rides a bit harsher, but it isn't that bad. They typically tune the suspension to match the tire firmness. Only time it's really apparent is on harsh pavement breaks. Like most have said, with modern tires, I haven't had to use the spare since 2003 I believe. That was a defect in a truck tire that blew the sidewall out.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
However, since my wife drives the Q7 95% of the time it's reassuring to know that she can safety drive to a safe location, or even home if she gets a flat.. Instead of waiting for roadside asst to arrive..
It is my firm belief this is the exact reason as to why they do not include a spare. The typical buyer of a $70k Audi isn't looking to change flat tires and they just want to get to safety. They use the saved space for other components.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It seems that most mfrs are shipping cars with "free roadside assistance" for the warranty period as well. I have never pushed that button either.

You are right though, a person buying a car at this price point probably doesn't change tires.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
On my SQ5, I have a deflated compact spare, with the center housing what I believe to be the subwoofer box..
My old 2011 Q5 had a similar center housing.. it had a plug in as well... but it hardly weighed anything, so I don't believe mine was a subwoofer. I always thought it was simply a plug in so the car could tell if you had the spare installed in the back correctly. The only time I had my spare removed was when I was doing battery maintenance since the battery was under the spare.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by timshuwy
My old 2011 Q5 had a similar center housing.. it had a plug in as well... but it hardly weighed anything, so I don't believe mine was a subwoofer. I always thought it was simply a plug in so the car could tell if you had the spare installed in the back correctly. The only time I had my spare removed was when I was doing battery maintenance since the battery was under the spare.
I'm assuming speaker since it is stamped "8 Ohms" on it. But there is no mention on what it is, anywhere.

Ok found it on realoem (part #13)
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/etka/audi/aq5c/687/035350/

It's the "bassbox".
Old 02-22-2018, 04:34 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
I had to order a custom 20" rim from Audi. I doubt the stock A6/A7 spare is a 20" but I don't know for sure. Here's the part number if you need:
- 4G0601027 20" spare wheel with 145/65-20 Continental spare tire
Thanks..

Originally Posted by Trevor K
It is my firm belief this is the exact reason as to why they do not include a spare. The typical buyer of a $70k Audi isn't looking to change flat tires and they just want to get to safety. They use the saved space for other components.
You may be right.. I would change the tire on the side of the road if the wait for roadside asst was too long, if I even called them to change a tire.. My wife however would be stuck until they arrived, which is why as much as I don't like the runflats I can live with them.

Quick Reply: Spare tire