Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Speaker Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by itiongo
If it is a rattle, then you should be able to reproduce it with music/vocal sounds from the media/radio.
Yes, and thats what I would think as well. Also, I've never had to turn up the MMI volume more that 25%
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timshuwy
OK.. getting technical here... I do a lot of work in the Audio recording, as well as in live audio mixing.. the sound and symptoms you describe may not be the speaker at all. What I see being described is what i would call "Over Driving" the inputs.. in other words, the output of the iphone is "too loud" or to high for the input to accept. When this happens, it makes a raspy sound. I have experienced this with devices in audio mixing. Someone has their guitar amp output turned up too much, and it doesn't matter how much i turn down in the speakers, it sounds bad.
The "Fix" in the Audio Mixing world is one of two answers:
1. change the "Pad" on the mixer to allow for higher input
2. lower the output on the guitar.
All that said... in theory, it could be a problem with how the interface is between the iphone output and the input into the audio system. Perfect speakers can still perfectly play a rattle sound.
This! Sounds like everyone is have to run the volume way up due to the input of the device being so low. Just turning the volume up very high with no music can make a speaker do some crazy things.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

The solution may be to turn down the volume on the phone itself, so the output volume is less, and then turn up the volume on the MMI to compensate. That way the input volume isn't overdriving the system, and the MMI can adjust output accordingly. I bet most people have the output volume on their phone near max....
Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same speaker rattle on phone calls using CarPlay not just Bluetooth. However I also have it with certain music using either CarPlay or Bluetooth. It is the center speaker and I think the driver side in the dash close to windshield. Doesn’t happen that frequently with music but does happen on certain acoustic music where I’d reallly like to hear the system shine and not hear rattles. This with the Bose system.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
OK.. getting technical here... I do a lot of work in the Audio recording, as well as in live audio mixing.. the sound and symptoms you describe may not be the speaker at all. What I see being described is what i would call "Over Driving" the inputs.. in other words, the output of the iphone is "too loud" or to high for the input to accept. When this happens, it makes a raspy sound. I have experienced this with devices in audio mixing. Someone has their guitar amp output turned up too much, and it doesn't matter how much i turn down in the speakers, it sounds bad.
The "Fix" in the Audio Mixing world is one of two answers:
1. change the "Pad" on the mixer to allow for higher input
2. lower the output on the guitar.
All that said... in theory, it could be a problem with how the interface is between the iphone output and the input into the audio system. Perfect speakers can still perfectly play a rattle sound.
I think you're onto something here. I'm a new owner of a 2018 Q7 and I would describe it not as a rattle, but as distortion - like someone got too close to the mic at a concert. It's pretty annoying - has anyone found a solution?