Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Replacement

I have a 2017 Q7 and I had noticed a vibration in the front left of the vehicle when accelerating around 2000 RPMs. Vibration inst the best term to describe it but it was a sound/frequency that I noticed constantly. The dealer couldn't find anything at first and said everything was fine. They admitted the heard the sound but couldn't diagnose. Eventually the shop foreman took an audio recording and sent to Audi. The Audi Powertrain team advised to replace the steering column intermediate shaft. I had to wait a while for the part but it eventually came in and much to my surprise the problem was solved. Just a heads up in case anyone else has a similar issue.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for sharing - tough diagnosis - pretty sure my dealership would have missed this - super helpful
Old 02-17-2019, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjobev
I have a 2017 Q7 and I had noticed a vibration in the front left of the vehicle when accelerating around 2000 RPMs. Vibration inst the best term to describe it but it was a sound/frequency that I noticed constantly. The dealer couldn't find anything at first and said everything was fine. They admitted the heard the sound but couldn't diagnose. Eventually the shop foreman took an audio recording and sent to Audi. The Audi Powertrain team advised to replace the steering column intermediate shaft. I had to wait a while for the part but it eventually came in and much to my surprise the problem was solved. Just a heads up in case anyone else has a similar issue.
WOW so when I was in for the brake problem I was having on my Q7, I got to talking with one of the mechanics who had an A6 dash apart. I asked what was going on there as the car did not appear that old. He said steering wheel shaft. He told me it was the second A6 steering shaft in 2 weeks he has had to replace it in.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2017 also had to have a fuel injector replaced shortly after I got it. It is a lease and I've always been given a Q7 loaner, so while frustrating, I have been calmer about this than I would if i owned it. I'm also hyper sensitive given the issues and the dealer has been very responsive. I was skeptical the steering column replacement would fix the issue but it has. I've also purchased a 2019 and now my wife is driving the 2017 until the lease runs out. It is probably in my head and maybe because I'm comparing a vehicle with ~1k miles to one with ~20K miles, but the 2019 just feels better all around to drive. 2017 is premium plus and 2019 is prestige, but tires and wheels are the same on each and I don't have air suspension.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

New tires always feel better then 2 yr old tires, even if the same. Best way to make an older car feel new again is to buy 4 new tires, lol...