Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Steering Wheel Off Center? - 2018 Q7 Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been driving a bit more and have a few more observations.
1.Majority of the time the steering wheel is turned a few degrees to the left in order to go strait (as seen in the video of my first post).
2. Every now and then I have to turn my steering wheel a few degrees to the right in order to go straight.
3. The same problem exists driving in all of the driving modes.
4. I have the lane assist package. I'm wondering if having this package has some type of effect on my slight misalignment.
5. I'm not sure if this is accurate...i'm still researching: It could appear that once i kick in my lane assist, the steering wheel straightens itself out.

This is so frustrating. Spend so much money on a car and now i'm getting so annoyed with something so basic that effects me Every time i drive the car.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mckstpat
I have been driving a bit more and have a few more observations.
1.Majority of the time the steering wheel is turned a few degrees to the left in order to go strait (as seen in the video of my first post).
2. Every now and then I have to turn my steering wheel a few degrees to the right in order to go straight.
3. The same problem exists driving in all of the driving modes.
4. I have the lane assist package. I'm wondering if having this package has some type of effect on my slight misalignment.
5. I'm not sure if this is accurate...i'm still researching: It could appear that once i kick in my lane assist, the steering wheel straightens itself out.

This is so frustrating. Spend so much money on a car and now i'm getting so annoyed with something so basic that effects me Every time i drive the car.
Lane Assist shouldn't have an effect on this, but sounds like it does so who knows? Question...when the Q is going straight and the steering is off to the left, do you have to hold the steering wheel tight in that position for the vehicle to go straight? Or can you let it go for a few seconds and it'll continue to go straight, while the steering wheel is still tilted to the left?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can't believe so many dealers are ignorant about centering the steering wheel and keep giving bull**** about how an alignment is needed... To straighten the steering wheel, simply adjust the tie rods a quarter turn at a time until it's centered when going straight. This should be done after every alignment.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue when I picked up the Q7. Dealer tried three times to correct the condition but the steering wheel would always creep back to the 11:00 position. SR said they contacted AOA and they gave the tech doing the alignment some suggestions but that didn't help. Tech said the adjusted the tie rods and that centered the wheel but induced a hard pull to the right......eliminate the pull and the wheel was off center.. I think it has something to do with the "centering" of the steering rack....in any case has to be a condition that is engineered into the steering system otherwise there wouldn't be so many owners experiencing the same issue. I finally gave up and try to ignore it.

By the way - have yet to drive one of the dealers loaners that the steering wheel was centered...always 11:00 position or worse.

"German Engineering"??????
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

it's crazy that it can't be fixed especially when u have video proof

if alignment is done, then the only option is adjusting the steering rod right. what other things can be done to make the wheel more center
Old 11-20-2018, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Lane Assist shouldn't have an effect on this, but sounds like it does so who knows? Question...when the Q is going straight and the steering is off to the left, do you have to hold the steering wheel tight in that position for the vehicle to go straight? Or can you let it go for a few seconds and it'll continue to go straight, while the steering wheel is still tilted to the left?
When my car is going straight it does not pull to any side.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So i'm not sure if i had a miraculous discovery or if i'm just loosing it.
My tires appeared to have low pressure so i measured the pressure and found it to be 32psi all the way around. The inside of my door jam states that the front should have 38psi and the back should have 41. Once i increased the pressure it "appears" that the steering wheel being off-center did improve a bit. But I still see it a little off. Now i don't know if this condition truly exists or if its in my head.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Sometimes you can x-rotate the 2 fronts, see if that changes the pull, this happened on my Lexus, was always pulling, swapped fronts, fixed it. Called "radial pull" I think, cheap fix if it works. BTW, those tire pressures on the door panel are for a fully loaded vehicle, pressures for other loads are in the user manual.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sylvaniapal
I have the same issue (Q& 2018 Prestige), steering wheel has to be 2 degrees to the right for the car to go straight. took it to dealer to do an alignment but the Tech said it just needs wheel rotation which he did but that did not fix the problem! I still don't know what to do... Dealers don't want to do alignment because it takes 6-8 hours to do as they need to calibrate ACC afterwards.
6-8 hour is bull. Today I took my car in for an alignment under warranty. It would have been a $599 service. I reviewed my dashcam footage and the Audi App. It took the tech less than 1.5 hours including the test drive. The problem is, my steering wheel is slightly off centered so I'll have to bug them again to fix it. I'm sure the tech skipped many steps and cut a bunch of corners to get this done in 1.5 hours. They bill Audi USA 8 hours for 1.5 hours of work. Business as usual for them but quality suffers because of that.