Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Strange Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Transmission Noise

I started noticing a weird noise about two weeks ago that sounds like it is coming from the transmission. I took it in last week to the dealer and they found that the secondary cooking fan motor was not working. They said they had to order the part and could not assess the transmission noise until the fan was replaced.

It is not a consistent noise but happens fairly often. If I accelerate quickly when the auto stop is engaged, it happens maybe 50 percent of the time. It sounds to me like a bushing rubbing. It is somewhere between a squeak and a chirp. I have about 6500 miles on the Q7 and love it other than this issue. Has anybody else noticed a similar noise?
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster
I started noticing a weird noise about two weeks ago that sounds like it is coming from the transmission. I took it in last week to the dealer and they found that the secondary cooking fan motor was not working. They said they had to order the part and could not assess the transmission noise until the fan was replaced.

It is not a consistent noise but happens fairly often. If I accelerate quickly when the auto stop is engaged, it happens maybe 50 percent of the time. It sounds to me like a bushing rubbing. It is somewhere between a squeak and a chirp. I have about 6500 miles on the Q7 and love it other than this issue. Has anybody else noticed a similar noise?
Do you have a sound recording? It would help to compare and identify the noises.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried to record it but it sounds totally different on my iphone.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried to record it but it sounds totally different on my iphone.
I think I know what you meant, it's the high def microphone.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get this diagnosed and fixed? I'm occasionally hearing what appears to me as mechanical noise too when using the ACC, noticeable only when the car decelerates. Can't tell if it's from footwell or transmission or both. Have about 1000 miles on mine.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

I would like to ask you if your transmission noise problem has been solved or is still going on.

I also bought the Audi Q7 in 2018, and the gearbox also makes some strange noise when shifting. I would send you a recording if it's the same noise as in your case.

Thank you very much for your help.

Nalim Duke
Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a transmission noise on hard acceleration when shifting into third gear and an annoying hum at 55-60 mph.

No weird noises with ACC, I wouldn’t know it never activates but I consider myself lucky.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sickk23
I have a transmission noise on hard acceleration when shifting into third gear and an annoying hum at 55-60 mph.

No weird noises with ACC, I wouldn’t know it never activates but I consider myself lucky.
I don't have any transmission noises that I've noticed but I do have the "hum at 55-60 mph" > sound like transfer case whine, goes away above 60... Dealer said it was the tires, I call B.S. on that... Is the whine/hum 100% repeatable in your situation?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mattwhit
I don't have any transmission noises that I've noticed but I do have the "hum at 55-60 mph" > sound like transfer case whine, goes away above 60... Dealer said it was the tires, I call B.S. on that... Is the whine/hum 100% repeatable in your situation?
Yes 100% repeatable and definitely able to be heard. It’s very annoying
Old 06-22-2019, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just picked up my 2019 with 8K miles and noticed an odd sound too under acceleration. Seems to only happen when accelerating from a complete stop or under hard acceleration. Curious to see what's up.

Quick Reply: Strange Transmission Noise