Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sunglasses holder.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sunglasses holder.

For anyone interested and comfortable with modifying objects to fit their needs, the Volvo sunglasses holder that fits the new XC90 fits our roof line nicely where the grab handle is. Part number is 31403479. Once again, it takes some modifications to make work but it’s possible.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks, interesting as I was just looking at it on ebay last night, and I wasn't sure if we actually had handle (since I never ever used one) on our Q7 driver side or not.
Volvo part seems to be about $45, if this is same thing, it's $12 on ebay, listed as compatible with Q7: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-glasses...y/152308056775
Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I’m not so sure that one would work, I’d definitely try to get some measurements from center to center of the clips to make sure it’s a similar width to the Q7.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll ask them about measurements once I find one that comes in black since light color would look really out of place with all-black interior.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Best of luck I bought 2 or 3 different kinds like those you linked but they weren’t correct. I was mainly looking for the hinges that would work for our slotted roof panel. They all were too low quality and none were wide enough. Only the Volvo unit was wide enough. And I re-used the Audi hinges on the Volvo case.

Last edited by BryonL; 12-11-2017 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-11-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Bryon - can you post a photo of your installation?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BryonL
Best of luck I bought 2 or 3 different kinds like those you linked but they weren’t correct. I was mainly looking for the hinges that would work for our slotted roof panel. They all were too low quality and none were wide enough. Only the Volvo unit was wide enough. And I re-used the Audi hinges on the Volvo case.
Some questions... when you say you re-used the Audi hinges, are you saying you removed the hinges that hold the grab handle and attached them to the volvo case? What kind of modification did that take; screws/glue etc? It would be great if you could post a photo or two. Also, is the modification destructive of the original grab handle? Can the grab handle be put back on when selling the car?

Last edited by RickObe; 12-11-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its too bad there aren't any under seat cubbies available but I think that horse may have been beaten enough.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I nondestructively removed the hinge assemblies from the original grab handle. The Volvo setup utilizes a removable steel rod that the hinges pivot on, the Audi setup is more advanced and uses plastic bushings. I had to drill out the plastic bushings with an 9/64 bit if I recall and file down the length of the bushings. Then I reused the steel rod inside the Audi bushings. I used the Audi soft close tensioner on one hinge and used the Volvo spring on the other (I gave up trying to use the Audi spring it was a pain to line up in the slots)

I used no glue or srcrews or anything nasty. It still looks OE. Once I got the hinges on the case, I clipped it back into the roof and popped in the retainers.

Once the bushings are modified, I don’t think you could reinsert them into the grab handle, unless you created some short steel pins to replace what was filed down off of the bushings.

Since the grab handle is recessed into the roof, don’t expect to fit any giant glasses in there, it’ll only handle lower profile glasses. I have a few pictures I can post but they aren’t instructional, I’ll have to prepare another one for that.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Utilizing Volvo spring instead of Audi spring. Audi spring was too troublesome to make work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunglasses holder.