Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default sunroof issues

I recognize that several members have reported squeaking/creaky sunroofs and mine is going in Friday for that issue. I am trying to figure out if everyone is experiencing the same thing or if there are differences in how the noise presents. Mine [at 500 miles in total] no longer seems to be outside temperature dependent. It makes noise regardless of ambient or indeed, cabin temperature. When I retract the shade, the noise usually stops for about 5-10 minutes. It then comes back, even with the shade retracted. The noise also seems to be coming from the leading edge of the glass area and happens on both smooth roads and bumpy ones. It also appears to diminish at speeds over 50 mph. Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by termite
I recognize that several members have reported squeaking/creaky sunroofs and mine is going in Friday for that issue. I am trying to figure out if everyone is experiencing the same thing or if there are differences in how the noise presents. Mine [at 500 miles in total] no longer seems to be outside temperature dependent. It makes noise regardless of ambient or indeed, cabin temperature. When I retract the shade, the noise usually stops for about 5-10 minutes. It then comes back, even with the shade retracted. The noise also seems to be coming from the leading edge of the glass area and happens on both smooth roads and bumpy ones. It also appears to diminish at speeds over 50 mph. Any thoughts?
Mine is never temperature dependent. The noise happens when going over a bump or even a slight road imperfection.

There are two different squeaks/creaks:
1. The squeaking above driver's headliner is the worst one. I put some form padding right above those rubber seals, and it has been quiet since then.
2. There is another squeak I just cannot pinpoint the exact location, I think it comes from the edge of the glass on the passenger side or the part that two glass pieces touch when the roof is closed. I put a piece of paper in between the seals, and it helps decrease the noise level.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I think manufacturing tolerances allow for such issues to exist with some builds but not on others. I don't think this is a widespread issue but it is a serious one nonetheless with just about all cars and crossovers that have such big glass roofs. It's almost the price we pay for having such a big glass roof.

Cars I've owned with pano roofs...

'04 X5 had noise, grease made it go away.

'10 Q5 had noise, took 4 trips to the dealer to finally make it go away, and a couple of years later it came back. Also had issue with the roof occasionally getting stuck.

'11 Touareg had no noise when closed but some rattling when open, dealer replaced a part and all was good

'14 SQ5 no noise. 3 years of ownership and the pano roof is still noise-free

'17 Q7 Premium+ demo car I took for a 24-hr test drive had a noisy roof over bumps, didn't really bother me that much though.

'17 Q7 Prestige demo car I took for a 24-hr test drive had a noise-free roof.

It will be a crapshoot what issues (if any) my incoming Q7 will have when I get it this summer...
Old 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is making noises above or right behind the driver as well, noticeable when driven on rough roads, like those all over NYC. Quite annoying ...
Old 05-04-2016, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

The embarrassing thing in my household is that my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee with almost 40k miles on it, has a pano roof that she actually uses all of the time and there is not a rattle to be heard. My Q7 has 500 miles on it, the roof has been opened just once to satisfy my curiosity that it actually worked and it makes all sorts of noises. If the Q7 were not so quiet, it might not irritate me as much as it does...
Old 05-04-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by termite
If the Q7 were not so quiet, it might not irritate me as much as it does...
+1
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

did anyone take their Q7 in to have this fix done?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24807929
Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Sunroof noise

Took mine in a couple of times before they lubed it and the noise went away......for about a month. It's going back in this week. My noise seems to come from the front edge nearer the passenger side. It's a dull rattle that, like so many have said, probably wouldn't be so damn annoying if the car wasn't so quiet. I love how quiet this car is. Everyone who has ridden in it has commented about what a wonderful ride it is. The rattle is not temperature dependent but is a constant rattle at any speed. This started about 700-800 miles in.

Originally Posted by jmbird07
did anyone take their Q7 in to have this fix done?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24807929
Old 05-05-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned about 10 cars over the last 20 years and every sunroof has developed a creak or rattle. The fix is usually simple...find the area where the noise is coming from. Clean the dirt off the rubber seal. I use isopropyl alcohol. Apply a coating of grease, I use some Teflon bike lube. That should fix it, at least for a little while. And if your wipers are streaking, use that same alcohol to clean the road grime off your wiper blades.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
I have owned about 10 cars over the last 20 years and every sunroof has developed a creak or rattle. The fix is usually simple...find the area where the noise is coming from. Clean the dirt off the rubber seal. I use isopropyl alcohol. Apply a coating of grease, I use some Teflon bike lube. That should fix it, at least for a little while. And if your wipers are streaking, use that same alcohol to clean the road grime off your wiper blades.
I don't disagree that as cars get older, seals shrink or dry out and need to be lubed. I have often used pure silicone to lube seals because that also seems to make them expand a bit in the process. This, however, is a brand new car with 500 miles on it. There is no dirt on the seals, they could not have shrunk from exposure to the elements, and frankly, there is no excuse for this at this price point...

Quick Reply: sunroof issues