AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Sunroof issues result (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/sunroof-issues-result-2900249/)

termite 05-09-2016 06:31 AM

Sunroof issues result

I posted earlier about my creaking sunroof and it went into the dealer on Friday morning. By the afternoon, the service manager had been on the phone many times with Audi and called me to tell me that Audi is aware of this issue on several Q7s and that it is not dry seals, pollen, or dirt. The fix is twofold. First, they add felt between all of the clips on the headliner and the roof panel at the leading edge of the sunroof opening . The second fix is that they are replacing the front glass panel [!], as there is a problem at the seal between the front glass panel and the rear glass panel. They are not able to stop the rattle between the two panels without replacing the front one. The new glass is supposed to be in today and hopefully this will fix the noisy panoramic roof...

Paradox 05-09-2016 06:57 AM

Wow, that sucks, I'm experiencing this problem as well. Thanks for sharing your experience so I know what I may be in for should it drive me crazy enough and I finally break down and take it in!

NABS4 05-09-2016 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Paradox (Post 24809744)
Wow, that sucks...

Yes and no. Even though the fix is fairly involved, it looks like one's be found. Nothing I dislike more than dealers pissing around with hit-or-miss attempts which require multiple trips to correct the issue.

Paradox 05-09-2016 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by NABS4 (Post 24809788)
Yes and no. Even though the fix is fairly involved, it looks like one's be found. Nothing I dislike more than dealers pissing around with hit-or-miss attempts which require multiple trips to correct the issue.

I don't know what you did with my quote as it was an incomplete quote I made but anyways, I agree, my dealership is not close at all which is why I often tend to just live with things like this until I trade in about 3 years.

pcaddict66 05-09-2016 11:01 AM

Sorry that many of you are having this problem. I have 3,300 miles on mine and the sunroof has never creaked. I am sure that they will fix it correctly. Remember that the new Q7 has been running around Europe for a long time now so I have no doubt that there are many other instances out there and the solution has proven to be a successful one.

termite 05-09-2016 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by pcaddict66 (Post 24809877)
Sorry that many of you are having this problem. I have 3,300 miles on mine and the sunroof has never creaked. I am sure that they will fix it correctly. Remember that the new Q7 has been running around Europe for a long time now so I have no doubt that there are many other instances out there and the solution has proven to be a successful one.

The irony to this is that while mine is in the shop getting its sunroof-echtomy, the dealership gave me a loaner 2017 Q7 with about 5k miles on it and the sunroof is dead quiet....

larryV 05-09-2016 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by termite (Post 24809902)
The irony to this is that while mine is in the shop getting its sunroof-echtomy, the dealership gave me a loaner 2017 Q7 with about 5k miles on it and the sunroof is dead quiet....

perhaps the loaner is a later build than yours where the sunroof issue has already been addressed by changes to factory assembly for more recent builds.

funny how both the XC90 and Q7 being direct competitors of each other are experiencing sunroof issues, albeit the Q7's isn't as serious.

Paradox 05-09-2016 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by larryV (Post 24809914)
perhaps the loaner is a later build than yours where the sunroof issue has already been addressed by changes to factory assembly for more recent builds.

funny how both the XC90 and Q7 being direct competitors of each other are experiencing sunroof issues, albeit the Q7's isn't as serious.

What's even odder is I have a first edition xc90, one of the very first built and on the first ship to the US delivered last May, and I've had none of those sunroof issues others have had. Not saying one bit they haven't had issues, I actually feel for them because I wouldn't stand for the types of water intrusion some have had. Just saying how it is weird it seems the ones affected are later builds in that case. Maybe more attention to detail went into the first editions, lol.

discogone 05-09-2016 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by termite (Post 24809734)
I posted earlier about my creaking sunroof and it went into the dealer on Friday morning. By the afternoon, the service manager had been on the phone many times with Audi and called me to tell me that Audi is aware of this issue on several Q7s and that it is not dry seals, pollen, or dirt. The fix is twofold. First, they add felt between all of the clips on the headliner and the roof panel at the leading edge of the sunroof opening . The second fix is that they are replacing the front glass panel [!], as there is a problem at the seal between the front glass panel and the rear glass panel. They are not able to stop the rattle between the two panels without replacing the front one. The new glass is supposed to be in today and hopefully this will fix the noisy panoramic roof...

Thanks so much for the timely result! I already have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, I will forward this information to the dealer and hopefully it will save everyone time.

termite 05-10-2016 12:00 PM

Another update....car has been at the dealer since Friday. The new glass was installed today and seems to have fixed the clunking noise. Bad news is that the felt has not stopped the squeaking so the car is still there...