Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Sunroof issues result

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was different to bokchilo as the noise was coming from an area between the front and rear glass panel and stopped the second you cracked the rear of the sunroof open by a few mm.

It had been completely silent until a couple of weekends ago when it came back after a long drive. I’ve not heard it since but I’ve got a feeling that after 5 quiet months, it may be coming back.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My noise is still gone
Old 06-28-2017, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 - 2016, Pan-Roof exploded due to heatwave in UK on 22/06/2017

My car Audi Q7 - 2016 was parked in the heat. When I started my car, As; I drove put on the Aircon ON mood heard a bang noise from my back.I stopped and looked-up and found the Pan-Roof glass has exploded from inside luckily I had the blind raised.When I got out and looked at the roof from the outside the glass looked like it was volcano erupted and all the glass was lifted up on the sides. Upon my approach to Audi UK they found this new thing for them and not honouring the consequences of this fault for the Pan-Roof glass to bare the extreme heat waves, Now this became an experimental situation for Audi to research these kind a faults once and for all.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:28 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by naeemy2017
My car Audi Q7 - 2016 was parked in the heat. When I started my car, As; I drove put on the Aircon ON mood heard a bang noise from my back.I stopped and looked-up and found the Pan-Roof glass has exploded from inside luckily I had the blind raised.When I got out and looked at the roof from the outside the glass looked like it was volcano erupted and all the glass was lifted up on the sides. Upon my approach to Audi UK they found this new thing for them and not honouring the consequences of this fault for the Pan-Roof glass to bare the extreme heat waves, Now this became an experimental situation for Audi to research these kind a faults once and for all.
WOW, that's crazy and I am glad no one was hurt. I have heard of this happening on other brands too, by any chance did you take pictures that you can post?

I have also heard of this sometimes happening when people (not saying you did) have aftermarket tint installed on their sunroofs.

Last edited by JT4; 06-28-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

If "extreme" UK heat can do this, we here in the US are all screwed!! All kidding aside, glad no one got hurt and hope you get it resolved
Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It proves to be true, that less "holes" you have in your "roofing", less issues you will encounter.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bokchilo
I actually had the same issue. Some people call it a creak, some call it rattle. From my experience, it sounds like both. Sometimes the noise is not as bad when it's cold outside .. especially in the morning. The dealer diagnosed the problem and a technician rode along with me while I drove the car. He pushed up against the glass and the sound was almost gone. When I finally got the car back, they said they put grease and felt tape but the noise was still there. I then saw some TSB somewhere that said to purchase some grease so I did. Below is how I fixed it. The noise is 100% gone.

Notice in the photos that the grease is white. Simply put a generous amount of grease under the rubber foot on both the front left and right side of the sunroof glass. You won't miss it.

In my opinion, the two rubber feet is gripping on the wind deflector and causing side the side movement and that's where the noise is coming from.
At last!!!! My Q5 2014 has a knock-free Pano roof. I had suspected the fly catcher for a while and had tried various tweaks (As well as all the Krytox grease lubrication procedures). I was at the point of watching YouTube videos of how to remove the headlining!).

For me the breakthrough was realising that the knocking stops when you crack the sun roof open just a bit. I think the problem is that the feet on the sunroof that push down on the flycatcher bars are metal, so there’s metal-on-metal contact. Instead of grease I used some thin Teflon strips (from woodworking tracksaw rails) on the top of the flycatcher bars. When the roof closes, the feet now ride up onto Teflon strips which seems to do the job. I hardly open the roof, but like having the extra light in the car from the roof.- even happier now it doesn’t creak or knock.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My sunroof is so annoying. It’s very creaky. The worst part is occasionally up in the headliner in the rear driver’s side it will randomly make a massive crunch noise like a bunch of stuff being crushed. I also have the rattle above my head that will go away if you vent it.

My 2016 X5 had a very creaky headliner but it wasn’t as severe and problematic as my 2019 Q7. Our 2019, 2015 and 2014 Grand Cherokee had silent headliners. No rattling, creaking or crunch noises.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,159 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by termite
I posted earlier about my creaking sunroof and it went into the dealer on Friday morning. By the afternoon, the service manager had been on the phone many times with Audi and called me to tell me that Audi is aware of this issue on several Q7s and that it is not dry seals, pollen, or dirt. The fix is twofold. First, they add felt between all of the clips on the headliner and the roof panel at the leading edge of the sunroof opening . The second fix is that they are replacing the front glass panel [!], as there is a problem at the seal between the front glass panel and the rear glass panel. They are not able to stop the rattle between the two panels without replacing the front one. The new glass is supposed to be in today and hopefully this will fix the noisy panoramic roof...
This is completely correct. I had 3 different service appointments to get this done and the result was finally solved without having to replace the sunroof frame, glass, etc.roof.
The felt did nothing. I believe they have adjusted torque values on the sunroof frame fasteners that hold the whole assembly to the roof structure.
And this is definitely a known issue. Best of luck getting it fixed.
The following users liked this post:
sickk23 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-22-2020, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is very enlightening...I have a new 2019 Q7 and have had it in twice so far for a tapping/rattling sound coming from the headliner center console. They have applied the felt, and then applied more felt to no avail. the issue is has not been reproduceable with the tech which is frustrating, and it does come and go, but it is beyond annoying. I have tried opening and closing the sunroof with mixed results. Tilting it seems to help. I have also notice if I push up on the headliner center console (where the lighting and sunroof controls are houses) that it will stop the sound. I will go back to Audi armed with the input from this thread!

Quick Reply: Sunroof issues result