Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is there a trick to getting the rear hatch open with foot swing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iasm
It seems to work sometimes for my wife but i can never get it to work.I just look stupid swinging my foot every which way with no reaction. Am i doing something wrong or should i just ignore that feature.
You gotta find the right spot. I have the two package, so left of the hitch does the trick. The other piece is patience. It takes a second or two after your motion before it acknowledges your motion and then opens or closes the hatch. One motion. Wait for the beep.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:03 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mctt197
You gotta find the right spot. I have the two package, so left of the hitch does the trick. The other piece is patience. It takes a second or two after your motion before it acknowledges your motion and then opens or closes the hatch. One motion. Wait for the beep.
I've noticed this too... There is a slight delay before you hear the latch disengage and the hatch begins to open..
Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all of this just highlights the flaws of this feature. It's supposed to make opening the trunk easier, which to me means not being so sensitive on how fast you kick, where you kick, etc. They should put a laser dot on the ground, let you put your foot on the dot and have that release the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Stephen Thomson (03-18-2020)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by drive4fun
I think all of this just highlights the flaws of this feature. It's supposed to make opening the trunk easier, which to me means not being so sensitive on how fast you kick, where you kick, etc. They should put a laser dot on the ground, let you put your foot on the dot and have that release the trunk.
Anything under the car would get dirty really quick. Neat idea, but impractical. If the reaction to kicking motion was any quicker, it would trigger false positives (like standing by the back of the hatch), and people would hate it too. You only want the hatch to open to specific, predetermined and intentional action. The whole concept, in theory, is good, execution, not that simple.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Flaws of this feature?!?! Just because people dont know how to use the feature does not mean its flawed. If you took 1 minute to learn it, you'd never have an issue. It even took me a few tries to figure out the speed of the kick because the BMW (my other car) is the opposite. It requires a swift kick, and a Q7 type kick will do nothing. So its just a matter of learning how to operate the feature and all will be well.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know how to use the feature and it simply doesn't work as consistently for me as I like, probably because I only rarely use it. I have 1000 other things in life to worry about aside from regulating the speed, angle, and location of my kicking.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to hate it until I properly learned how to use it now it works every time without fail. My mistake was that I wasn't patient enough for it and I kicked again.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I know how to use the feature and it simply doesn't work as consistently for me as I like, probably because I only rarely use it. I have 1000 other things in life to worry about aside from regulating the speed, angle, and location of my kicking.
In the time it took you to write these posts you could learn it. Its pretty easy and works every time
Old 08-03-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

To be crystal clear, I have read the posts, I have seen the video, I do kick straight, I do kick slowly, and no, my hatch doesn't open 100% of the time when I kick. I'm not technologically inept, as I am typing right now on a computer I assembled by hand. I fully will acknowledge that I'm not a football punter.

Some days the hatch works consistently, some days it doesn’t. The fact that my Q7 sits in a garage for a few days a week may cause it to go into a low power state that deactivates the hatch. I'm not sure, and the function isn't important enough for me to bring my Q7 to the dealer.

I think a board is useful because it highlights different perspectives. Mine is that the system should be more reliable, that's all.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to wait. Put foot under, pull back, count to 4. There is a delay

Quick Reply: Is there a trick to getting the rear hatch open with foot swing