Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Thoughts on Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Run Flat Tires

So looking to order a Q7, but trying to decide if we want the run flat option... Does anyone know if the car has a spare tire with the normal all season tires? Looking at the 19" option for tires
Old 03-25-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

The new Q7 does not have any space to store a spare tire. A jack is a free option but no place to store. I think someone said for those tires they provide a emergency repair kit with the foam to seal and re-inflate the tire.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout57
I think someone said for those tires they provide a emergency repair kit with the foam to seal and re-inflate the tire.
Yes, there is a "Tire Mobility Kit" stored under the trunk floor.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would stay away from the run flat tires. On Mini Coopers the ride is much harsher with them due to the extra stiff sidewalls, always replace them with non run flats as soon as original tires wear out. The other huge disadvantage of run flats is they can not be repaired while a normal tire can often be repaired. The key here is that if you are in the middle of nowhere and have a flat tire with run flats there is not going to be a replacement tire to be found and you get stuck waiting for a replacement tire to be shipped to your location or wait for Audi Roadside to go fetch you and take you back to a dealer
Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Evergreen is right on. They are expensive and they ride like crap with the stiff side walls. I had a MINI JCW and I used them at couple of track days. They actually performed good at the track. I heard bad things but I had no issues. I could almost get 2 sets of Conti's for one set of the Dunlop RF's. I actually had a shop do a repair on a RF as I got nail on a road trip. Plugged and patched it on the inside and it was fine. Most shops will not do this. I replaced the tire shortly after but it got me home
Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I do get a new Q7, I will probably buy a full size spare just to be safe. I travel a lot for work and my last flat was outside NYC, in the evening, from hitting a giant pothole. I currently have an LR4 so I just put on the full size spare and drove 300 miles back to Boston.

If the same thing happens with runflats, the tire would likely be too damaged to drive, and certainly not for 300 miles. I'm sure the service department at nearby Audi dealers were closed by then, and what are the odds of any other tire place having this unique runflat size tire in stock.

I wish there was an option to skip the third row seating and get a full size spare instead.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
I wish there was an option to skip the third row seating and get a full size spare instead.
Apparently there is such an option in Indian market that makes a Q7 with 6 seats and a spare tire:

Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
US models have non-optional third row?
Old 03-25-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rimas.
US models have non-optional third row?
yes, currently all US-spec 4M Q7 have the 3rd row seats standard, and cannot be deleted.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not a big fan of the Run flat tires either. Since there is no spare tire in the new Q7 I am worried about moving back to the conventional tires.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Run Flat Tires