Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Thule vs OEM Crossbars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

I have Thule AeroBlades and prefer their look to the OEM bars. Very little wind noise, can open the sunroof with no problem and I waa able to get them slightly cheaper than the price quoted for OEM.
The following users liked this post:
jborkan (08-02-2021)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Go to Rackoutfitters.com and find the thule ones. Then call them and ask for a 10% discount. They ship free as well. You're welcome!

Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There seems to be some slightly conflicting info here, could you please clarify a few things:

1. Do the OEM bars require the removal of screws to take the bar off? In one of the Audi videos it shows them just 'clicking in'.

2. Are the low profile OEM bars everyone is taking about the ones the bars with the rings on the end or no rings? I've seen both version on Q7's...the one without the rings don't appear to be low profile at all.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by ChappyConcord
There seems to be some slightly conflicting info here, could you please clarify a few things:

1. Do the OEM bars require the removal of screws to take the bar off? In one of the Audi videos it shows them just 'clicking in'.

2. Are the low profile OEM bars everyone is taking about the ones the bars with the rings on the end or no rings? I've seen both version on Q7's...the one without the rings don't appear to be low profile at all.

Thanks
I cannot speak for OEM bars.
Thule bars whether they are low profile edge, or non-edge (extend past feet) attach using screws that thread into the bars.
I would assume audi bars do the same since the car comes equipped with the doors that open and contain hidden threaded inserts...
Old 06-09-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a benefit to getting a Thule crossbar vs OEM if my next vehicle could be something other than an Audi? Is that something I should be considering when buying the crossbars?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jjobev
Is there a benefit to getting a Thule crossbar vs OEM if my next vehicle could be something other than an Audi? Is that something I should be considering when buying the crossbars?
Thule crossbars come in different sizes, and it's far from a given that the ones that fit the Q7 will fit your next vehicle
Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't speak about the Thule, but I find the OEM bars extremely well made. This is our 4th Q and these are the best bars I've had. I especially like the fact that the rear bar is slightly higher so a cargo box sits level on the top of the car. I almost forgot to mentioned that you can find the OEM deeply discounted in the classifieds here. I got mine for $275.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I personally like the look of the OEM slightly more than the Thule so will probably go with those. Thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jjobev
Yes. Avoid the 'edge' models as they're exact sizes. I bought aeroblade bars (they have different sizes, I just got the recommended ones although I suspect you can probably oversize them without issue) the feet and the mounting kit (I can get model numbers for you if desired).

You would more than likely just need to buy a new mounting kit (rubber pieces that connect the feet to the vehicle) for your next car provided the bars are not too narrow (you might need to resize them a bit so save the excess rubber).

Also if you're considering this REI has ~3 sales per year they offer at least a 20% coupon for members (1 item) although the last one (ended memorial day - so I don't think they'll be another until fall) it was 20% off all thule products. Additionally if you have discover card cash back you can buy gift cards (like $45 for a $50 gift card) for REI so you can potentially save about 40% (I screwed up the last part because you can't get them giftcards electronically so you'd have to get them snail mailed to you)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an OEM one in my garage if anyone is interested, $250 + shipping.

Quick Reply: Thule vs OEM Crossbars?