Tire longevity - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire longevity

Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tire longevity

I purchased my 2017 Q7 in December of 2016. I had to change the tires at 14000 miles and now I have to change them again at 19500 miles. I think there is something not right. I have owned SUVs and other cars where the wear is 30000 miles. We are not crazy drivers. What is happening with these tires? Is there a better place to get the tires than the dealer?
thanks
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jledfl View Post
I purchased my 2017 Q7 in December of 2016. I had to change the tires at 14000 miles and now I have to change them again at 19500 miles. I think there is something not right. I have owned SUVs and other cars where the wear is 30000 miles. We are not crazy drivers. What is happening with these tires? Is there a better place to get the tires than the dealer?
thanks
19", 20" or 21" tires? Personally I'd never go back to the dealer for anything including tires unless it's a warranty item. Go to a tire rack, or discount tire, buy you tires and have them shipped to one of their installers and get them installed.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd also check the alignment when you buy new tires which is also not warrantied.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Eppieguy View Post
19", 20" or 21" tires? Personally I'd never go back to the dealer for anything including tires unless it's a warranty item. Go to a tire rack, or discount tire, buy you tires and have them shipped to one of their installers and get them installed.
They are 21" does that make a difference on wear? I will definitely look into those companies and the alignment. thanks for the help
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jledfl View Post
They are 21" does that make a difference on wear? I will definitely look into those companies and the alignment. thanks for the help
Yes, the 21" tires are a summer tire in which usually is a softer rubber compound, there are many reports here about the 21's and early tire wear.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, 21s will wear faster. Lower profile tires, especially performance tires, will wear faster. Another reason I stayed away from 21s
Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also have the 21" tires and hope that there is a good replacement that is not run-flat. I can put up with a spare in the back. Will wait and see but from what I understand I will not have to wait long before replacing.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl View Post
I also have the 21" tires and hope that there is a good replacement that is not run-flat. I can put up with a spare in the back. Will wait and see but from what I understand I will not have to wait long before replacing.
None of the 21" tires are run-flat (at least none in the OEM size). There are some all-season options coming out in the OEM size. Not cheap but hopefully more mileage life. Still not run-flat though.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

On my 2011 Q5 and 2011 VW CC, I put all weather Michelin Premier tires... I was very impressed as they were very quiet, smooth riding, and very long lasting. When i need to get new ones for my new Q7, i plan on looking at Michelin options first if they offer in the size and runflat option needed (since there is no spare).
Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by timshuwy View Post
On my 2011 Q5 and 2011 VW CC, I put all weather Michelin Premier tires... I was very impressed as they were very quiet, smooth riding, and very long lasting. When i need to get new ones for my new Q7, i plan on looking at Michelin options first if they offer in the size and runflat option needed (since there is no spare).
Same dilemma and have done quite a bit of looking into this for my Q7 I took delivery of last Friday. I used the Michelin Premier LTX tires on my Q5 TDI and they were all you say they are. The 20" tire size for the Q7 is a 285/45 and there isn't a Premier LTX in that size but there is a 275/45 20" that I will be very tempted to use. If anyone has thoughts/considerations to be aware of, would certainly appreciate the input! I do know this tire would be slightly smaller in diameter. I could live with that as I love these tires.