Tire longevity - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire longevity

Reply

 
 
Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM
  #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Default Tire longevity

I purchased my 2017 Q7 in December of 2016. I had to change the tires at 14000 miles and now I have to change them again at 19500 miles. I think there is something not right. I have owned SUVs and other cars where the wear is 30000 miles. We are not crazy drivers. What is happening with these tires? Is there a better place to get the tires than the dealer?
thanks
jledfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM
  #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Eppieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 928
Default

Originally Posted by jledfl View Post
I purchased my 2017 Q7 in December of 2016. I had to change the tires at 14000 miles and now I have to change them again at 19500 miles. I think there is something not right. I have owned SUVs and other cars where the wear is 30000 miles. We are not crazy drivers. What is happening with these tires? Is there a better place to get the tires than the dealer?
thanks
19", 20" or 21" tires? Personally I'd never go back to the dealer for anything including tires unless it's a warranty item. Go to a tire rack, or discount tire, buy you tires and have them shipped to one of their installers and get them installed.
Eppieguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM
  #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Eppieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 928
Default

I'd also check the alignment when you buy new tires which is also not warrantied.
Eppieguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:48 AM
  #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by Eppieguy View Post
19", 20" or 21" tires? Personally I'd never go back to the dealer for anything including tires unless it's a warranty item. Go to a tire rack, or discount tire, buy you tires and have them shipped to one of their installers and get them installed.
They are 21" does that make a difference on wear? I will definitely look into those companies and the alignment. thanks for the help
jledfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 AM
  #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Eppieguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 928
Default

Originally Posted by jledfl View Post
They are 21" does that make a difference on wear? I will definitely look into those companies and the alignment. thanks for the help
Yes, the 21" tires are a summer tire in which usually is a softer rubber compound, there are many reports here about the 21's and early tire wear.
Eppieguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM
  #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
BigKutta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington DC burbs
Posts: 1,296
Default

Yes, 21s will wear faster. Lower profile tires, especially performance tires, will wear faster. Another reason I stayed away from 21s
BigKutta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 PM
  #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Greg in JaxFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 127
Default

I also have the 21" tires and hope that there is a good replacement that is not run-flat. I can put up with a spare in the back. Will wait and see but from what I understand I will not have to wait long before replacing.
Greg in JaxFl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM
  #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl View Post
I also have the 21" tires and hope that there is a good replacement that is not run-flat. I can put up with a spare in the back. Will wait and see but from what I understand I will not have to wait long before replacing.
None of the 21" tires are run-flat (at least none in the OEM size). There are some all-season options coming out in the OEM size. Not cheap but hopefully more mileage life. Still not run-flat though.
TNVol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:26 PM
  #9
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner
 
timshuwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Clemente, Southern California, USA
Posts: 111
Default

On my 2011 Q5 and 2011 VW CC, I put all weather Michelin Premier tires... I was very impressed as they were very quiet, smooth riding, and very long lasting. When i need to get new ones for my new Q7, i plan on looking at Michelin options first if they offer in the size and runflat option needed (since there is no spare).
timshuwy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 PM
  #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1
Default

Originally Posted by timshuwy View Post
On my 2011 Q5 and 2011 VW CC, I put all weather Michelin Premier tires... I was very impressed as they were very quiet, smooth riding, and very long lasting. When i need to get new ones for my new Q7, i plan on looking at Michelin options first if they offer in the size and runflat option needed (since there is no spare).
Same dilemma and have done quite a bit of looking into this for my Q7 I took delivery of last Friday. I used the Michelin Premier LTX tires on my Q5 TDI and they were all you say they are. The 20" tire size for the Q7 is a 285/45 and there isn't a Premier LTX in that size but there is a 275/45 20" that I will be very tempted to use. If anyone has thoughts/considerations to be aware of, would certainly appreciate the input! I do know this tire would be slightly smaller in diameter. I could live with that as I love these tires.
AudiPhotog is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ECS Tuning-Audi
Audi A3 / S3 / RS3
2
01-13-2018 06:07 AM
ECS Tuning-Audi
S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
1
05-10-2017 12:31 PM
ECS Tuning-Audi
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
1
05-10-2017 12:30 PM
arbees
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
10
10-07-2016 07:24 PM
Blauparts Sales
Vendor Showroom
0
10-03-2016 08:01 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:30 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: