Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
There are no spares in any of the US Q7's, Run Flat or non Run Flat, they didn't forget.

P.S. You don't have run flats.

Correct. Rather than a spare, there should be some fix-a-flat and an air pump under your back floor. This is the "comfort" that Audi provides in lieu of a spare.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talked to my salesperson and he remembers telling me it had run flats and know now it does not. They are going to price me out a steel or alloy spare as on long trips the pump and repair kit is not that much of a comfort.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
I am quite sure and was responding to another poster who said that they are not run flats.

I am not worried about being stranded as they ARE run flats.
What was that line above? LOL,
Old 01-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Talked to my salesperson and he remembers telling me it had run flats and know now it does not. They are going to price me out a steel or alloy spare as on long trips the pump and repair kit is not that much of a comfort.
Where will you store the spare? there is no place in the car for storage of such a thing.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jledfl
I purchased my 2017 Q7 in December of 2016. I had to change the tires at 14000 miles and now I have to change them again at 19500 miles. I think there is something not right. I have owned SUVs and other cars where the wear is 30000 miles. We are not crazy drivers. What is happening with these tires? Is there a better place to get the tires than the dealer?
thanks
Originally Posted by timshuwy
Where will you store the spare? there is no place in the car for storage of such a thing.
Yeah. If you find a place besides the trunk on long trips that include luggage. I’d be interested in knowing also. I have the 21” summers so definitely not run flat.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by timshuwy
What do you mean? Not all of us have a family to take with them.

Plenty of room in the cargo area. Not that big on luggage. Maybe in the front seat!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
What was that line above? LOL,
What a nice person you must be. LOL!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a nice person you must be. LOL!
I am :-) There is a kit that they have for the Q I believe for India (There are pictures around here someplace) for the spare to be mounted in the cargo area. The mount reminds me of my 1975 Chevy Blazer, the tire stands up on the side in the cargo area. I've never liked the idea of anything heavy thats loose in a vehicle (not tied down) because if you're in an accident it can fly up and seriously injure yourself or a passenger.in the vehicle. The easiest solution is to carry a plug kit and plug a hole if it's repairable and then use the compressor that comes with the Q and re-inflate your tire and be on your way.

Just my .02 for the .01 it's worth.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to confirm and as others have stated your 21 Conti's are 100% not run flats, but I think you have realized this now. Here is where the confusion came in with your sales person (and partially by Audi)....

On your window sticker under the "Prestige" option it showed the 20" wheel upgrade that is included in Prestige on one line and under it on a separate line 285/45/20 all season run-flat tires. Some less then informed sales reps see this and do not realize (or bother to look) further down on the window sticker where it shows the 21" wheel up-charge option that states 285/40 summer tires. Additionally, many sales reps will not know that there is no 21" run flat tire made in this size and just assume, thus the issue then arising when the customer takes delivery.

There was thread here on the forum on this subject early on in 2017 as both sales reps and customers were confused on the subject. Audi definitely could have been more clear on their window stickers and in informing dealerships.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jledfl
I purchased my 2017 Q7 in December of 2016. I had to change the tires at 14000 miles and now I have to change them again at 19500 miles. I think there is something not right. I have owned SUVs and other cars where the wear is 30000 miles. We are not crazy drivers. What is happening with these tires? Is there a better place to get the tires than the dealer?
thanks
At about 19,000 miles, my 21" tires were at about 6/32.

Quick Reply: Tire longevity