Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor for Q7 2017 19in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor for Q7 2017 19in?

The Prestige came with the upgraded 21in but interested in 19in for winter in new england.

I see oem take offs on ebay in perfect condition for a seemingly reasonable price that include everything except the tire pressure sensors and the bolts. I imagine I can figure out which oem bolt parts are required (but if someone knows off top of their head feel free to share). But having trouble finding the tire pressure sensors part number on official audiparts site. I see some for other years or cars but not mine. Or parts but not the seemingly right parts.

The closest I could find is this: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/V...4D0601361.html which perhaps is the right part but the other ones I looked up seemed to have a larger block piece, so not sure if that part in the link includes everything or if there is another part required? Any advice on which is required would be most helpful so that I bring the tire and rim/wheel and the sensor to a car shop they will be able to put together and then handle balancing/alignment, etc. Thank you!

Update - Reached on to chats on a few third party sites, and they mentioned for 2017/2018/2019 it's not showing a sensor part and that some cars don't actually have a sensor anymore and instead just guess the pressure based how fast the wheel is spinning rather than based on the actual pressure. Maybe that is why im not having luck finding the sensor and thus maybe just the stem: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/V...4D0601361.html is all that is needed?
To note, this https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/S...K0907253D.html looks like it includes everything but compatibility wise it seems to note all except Q7. Not sure if that was a mistake, and this is the correct one, or if it truly not compatible with Q7? Also seems quite expensive at 560 for 4 tires unless that is common in which case buying take off tires on ebay may not be as good of a deal as initially appeared.

Last edited by ChrisCraft; 04-10-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the 2017 Q7 comes with TPMS sensors from the factory. They are just regular valve stems. If you want to monitor the pressure in each tire, you can install a set of aftermarket TPMS sensors and display.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by htd4555
I don't think the 2017 Q7 comes with TPMS sensors from the factory. They are just regular valve stems. If you want to monitor the pressure in each tire, you can install a set of aftermarket TPMS sensors and display.
Mine includes, "TPMS (tire pressure monitor system)" according to the window sticker. And warns if tire pressure is low, but i don't believe the it tells me which tire is low in particular just that at least one of them is. Does that mean i would just need that TMPS stem in my link above for each to make that work, and no other part?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 2017 Q7 employs the indirect TPMS method in which ABS sensors are used to detect low tire pressure through difference in wheel rotation. You get a warning on the dash but woundn't know which one is low or how much pressure is lost.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks! So sounds like I will just need these stems: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/V...4D0601361.html and don't need any extra sensor blocks like in the earlier model years. Helpful, thank you!
Old 04-10-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

The part in your link is just a regular valve stem and does not contain any electronic. You will need a complete TPMS kit (sensors + display) that is not available from Audi for your 2017 Q7.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisCraft
The Prestige came with the upgraded 21in but interested in 19in for winter in new england.

I see oem take offs on ebay in perfect condition for a seemingly reasonable price that include everything except the tire pressure sensors and the bolts. I imagine I can figure out which oem bolt parts are required (but if someone knows off top of their head feel free to share). But having trouble finding the tire pressure sensors part number on official audiparts site. I see some for other years or cars but not mine. Or parts but not the seemingly right parts.

The closest I could find is this: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/V...4D0601361.html which perhaps is the right part but the other ones I looked up seemed to have a larger block piece, so not sure if that part in the link includes everything or if there is another part required? Any advice on which is required would be most helpful so that I bring the tire and rim/wheel and the sensor to a car shop they will be able to put together and then handle balancing/alignment, etc. Thank you!

Update - Reached on to chats on a few third party sites, and they mentioned for 2017/2018/2019 it's not showing a sensor part and that some cars don't actually have a sensor anymore and instead just guess the pressure based how fast the wheel is spinning rather than based on the actual pressure. Maybe that is why im not having luck finding the sensor and thus maybe just the stem: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/V...4D0601361.html is all that is needed?
To note, this https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__/S...K0907253D.html looks like it includes everything but compatibility wise it seems to note all except Q7. Not sure if that was a mistake, and this is the correct one, or if it truly not compatible with Q7? Also seems quite expensive at 560 for 4 tires unless that is common in which case buying take off tires on ebay may not be as good of a deal as initially appeared.
The answer to your question is very simple. With only a couple of exceptions (R8, TTRS) Audi does not currently use any sort of pressure sensing system on the wheel/tire assembly - it's all done by sensing variations in wheel rotation speed.
If you want to go with a dedicated winter setup - find some good quality wheels you like, decide on your tires & take everything to a quality tire shop. Have them install ordinary valve stems & mount & balance the tires. Then go into the MMI service menu (I think) & set the new tire pressure.
This is exactly what I did with my 2017 Q7. Swapped tires & wheels twice a year until I got rid of it.
Those that have cars requiring wheel mounted sensors are stuck with the cost & complexity involved in having two sets of wheels & tires - Audi owners....not so much .

Last edited by Cadx6; 04-11-2019 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

You do have TPMS as it's a US vehicle requirement sine 2007. As already explained above, it's an indirect system reading tire rotation differences, and it does have certain limitations, but it doesn't meant that it's any less accurate or slower to act. Interestingly though Audi does offer direct TPMS for SQ7 and other market Q7 (not in NA). It can also be retrofitted to any other Q7, although details are scares. There is a post here somewhere, where someone (in Singapore, I think) did do just that, but it required sensors in the wheels, computer, harness and programming - not worth it.

One think I can add, every time when you change your setup (swap wheels or adjust pressure), make sure you drive a short distance and use MMI to store new tire pressure. What the system is really doing is storing rotational data for each wheel, this way you won't get any false alerts.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good tips. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor for Q7 2017 19in?