Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire Rotation on 10k service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
More opinions. Lol

Ask yourself, if it 'needs rotation' why doesn't Audi include that in the servicing?
Perhaps because it's been a recommended part of tire maintenance for decades and should be understood or at least explained to an owner by any tire servicer. Sort of like why Audi doesn't mention in the manual one should visit a gas station for fuel from time to time.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, depending on the source, for all-wheel drives it's 2/32-4/32. Audi doesn't specifically state it in their manual (at least mine), just that they should be the same overall diameter. However, common sense would dictate it's somewhere in that range for all auto brands of all-wheel drives.

Here are a few articles, not just forum post opinions. They essentially all say the same thing - excessive rolling diameter differences can cause damage to the power train of all-wheel drive systems:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=18&

Tires 101 on Tire Matching on All Wheel and Four Wheel Drive :: Souza's Tire Service

Tires for All-Wheel drive vehicle, Beware!

Auto Tips: Tires, tread depth and all wheel drive | The Chronicle Herald
Thanks for the links. The Tirerack link mentions Audi specifically.

'Audi - As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.'

So, as long as they are the same tire and they stay within 1/8", 2 tires can be replaced at a time.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perhaps because it's been a recommended part of tire maintenance for decades and should be understood or at least explained to an owner by any tire servicer. Sort of like why Audi doesn't mention in the manual one should visit a gas station for fuel from time to time.
Lol. Hardly the same thing. My point stands.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the links. The Tirerack link mentions Audi specifically.

'Audi - As published in their vehicle owner's manual, "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.'

So, as long as they are the same tire and they stay within 1/8", 2 tires can be replaced at a time.
Like I wrote, "depending on the source". I'm not sure where TireRack got that spec, I've not been able to find it stated from Audi. In any case, even if two tires on the same axle are replaced, the same tread depth difference to the other two should be observed.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like I wrote, "depending on the source". I'm not sure where TireRack got that spec, I've not been able to find it stated from Audi. In any case, even if two tires on the same axle are replaced, the same tread depth difference to the other two should be observed.
Yep.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Ask yourself, if it 'needs rotation' why doesn't Audi include that in the servicing?
Because the tire rotation intervals are different from the service intervals. As I posted above, tire rotation intervals are typically every 6 months or 6000-8000 miles. If you consider that some people also put on winter tires during the winter and then put the summer tires back on for the rest of the year, it's very unlikely that tire rotation lines up with the scheduled service intervals.

Audi did include the first tire rotation with the 6 months or 5000 miles scheduled service, because that was a predictable point in time to rotate the original tires. Now that they've moved the first scheduled service to 10,000 miles, the first tire rotation is due before the first service.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Because the tire rotation intervals are different from the service intervals. As I posted above, tire rotation intervals are typically every 6 months or 6000-8000 miles. If you consider that some people also put on winter tires during the winter and then put the summer tires back on for the rest of the year, it's very unlikely that tire rotation lines up with the scheduled service intervals.

Audi did include the first tire rotation with the 6 months or 5000 miles scheduled service, because that was a predictable point in time to rotate the original tires. Now that they've moved the first scheduled service to 10,000 miles, the first tire rotation is due before the first service.
I might be looking into a floor jack and torque wrench.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Is the "can knocking" for you that subtle cluck sound some of us discussed a while back coming from what sounds like the brake area while rolling up a stop? If so, curious to here what your service dept says. Keep us posted. Thanks!!
Will do. The sound to me sounds like a loose catalytic converter but since the whole undercarriage is closed I cannot tell. But yes, I hear it rolling up to stop And when driving at around 5mph in a parking lot and turning. Also hear it a ton if I purposely drive at about 5mph jerking the wheel right and left. The sound comes from the passenger side in between the front and rear door.

Last edited by PROEDGEBIKER.COM; 03-20-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM
LMR
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has 15k miles and front tires are more visibly more worn than rears. Had the car in for water pump replacement last week and asked my service advisor if the tires were rotated during the 10k mile service. She responded that Audi does not suggest rotating the tires on the new Q7, as they should wear evenly with awd. Due to the uneven wear, my husband rotated them today. When he looked in the owners manual to confirm lug torque specs, he found that the owners manual recommends regular rotation to improve wear.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So much for the knowledge of that service rep.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation on 10k service?