Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire wear on outside edge (one side)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsrjc
Yeah. Same here. I got it from Sears a while back. No need to get a powerful one. Anyone that works with outlet power is fine.
Amazon has some good ones but all work from the car's CLA, not a power outlets. Seems like they do the trick too
Old 11-25-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Amazon has some good ones but all work from the car's CLA, not a power outlets. Seems like they do the trick too
Yeah they should do the trick.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

There are plenty of offroad 4x4 interior compressors, but their usually a $$$. I have this in the garage
Amazon Amazon
, small quick and light to carry around all mine.

Last edited by Built4Sin; 11-25-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Picture was toooo masssive!
Old 11-26-2017, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In my garage I have various sizes/capacities compressors, but the easiest one to use - due to its portability - is this:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/1000-p...p:product:1:17
I live in climate with cold winters. Thus, besides tire inflation, I'd like to have a jump-starting function and the above mentioned unit does do both.

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 11-26-2017 at 07:25 PM. Reason: cc
Old 03-30-2018, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Q7 2017 Prestige and got the 21 " tires on them
got the car in Dec 2016
The car is currently (March end 2018) at 11000 miles
got it services at 9000 miles during the end of Dec 2017

Unfortunately one of the tires is messed up...as seen below.
I am guessing this has nothing to do with warranty and i need to get an alignment done and change atleast two of the tires ?

One of local dealers here told me
$900 for two tires (Contisportcontact 5 AO XL BW P285/40R21 109Y) SKU - 0356865

and some $190 for the alignment

tire pressures are fine at the moment and last time I checked only the left back was at 29 which I refilled, the front one (the one with the issue) was fine

anyone seen anything similar before ?
Sucks to have to spend around a $1000 at 11k miles -
Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by San Ramon
I have a Q7 2017 Prestige and got the 21 " tires on them
got the car in Dec 2016
The car is currently (March end 2018) at 11000 miles
got it services at 9000 miles during the end of Dec 2017

Unfortunately one of the tires is messed up...as seen below.
I am guessing this has nothing to do with warranty and i need to get an alignment done and change atleast two of the tires ?
https://youtu.be/hlamtcUArdM

One of local dealers here told me
$900 for two tires (Contisportcontact 5 AO XL BW P285/40R21 109Y) SKU - 0356865

and some $190 for the alignment

tire pressures are fine at the moment and last time I checked only the left back was at 29 which I refilled, the front one (the one with the issue) was fine

anyone seen anything similar before ?
Sucks to have to spend around a $1000 at 11k miles -
yup, I had to replace all 4 (same tires) at a little over 11k miles. Needed and alignment as well. Be happy if your dealer will do an alignment for $190. I assume you do not have DAP, cause if you do, alignments are wayyy more due to all the re calibrating of all the sensors.. I suggest getting one of the ac powered inflators and check your tire pressure at least once a month. Since doing that (and after the alignment) it appears I am getting better wear (currently at about 18500 miles).
Old 03-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Rotate every 5 k ?

Originally Posted by Meyecul

yup, I had to replace all 4 (same tires) at a little over 11k miles. Needed and alignment as well. Be happy if your dealer will do an alignment for $190. I assume you do not have DAP, cause if you do, alignments are wayyy more due to all the re calibrating of all the sensors.. I suggest getting one of the ac powered inflators and check your tire pressure at least once a month. Since doing that (and after the alignment) it appears I am getting better wear (currently at about 18500 miles).

I took the car elsewhere for a second opinion and was told that it looks like my tires were never rotated and hence the uneven wear . It does look like the dealer might have forgotten to rotate them at 9k when I went in for service . Now the back tires look much more newer compared to front .. I am also trying to recollect if at the service the dealer had told me if the tires need not be rotated

of course there is no way I can prove this anymore

also a local shop I took to today tells me that tires need to be rotated every 5k on 4 wheel drive too

😏🤔
Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Looks like dealer had not rotated my tires

@meyecul thx for the reply

not sure why u say it’s lucky that the dealer agreed to do aignment for 190 . I took it to a local store and they do for 190 for 3 Year alignments...

they also seemed to say to say that the wear n Tear is a result of the dealer not rotating the tires at 9k
And it does sound true to me as my back tires look still pretty good which makes me think that they were never rotated ... the local shop also mentioned that tires need to be rotated every 5 k for all SUVs .

ofcourse I have no way to prove that they were not rotated
Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by San Ramon
@meyecul thx for the reply

not sure why u say it’s lucky that the dealer agreed to do aignment for 190 . I took it to a local store and they do for 190 for 3 Year alignments...

That's the issue, "a local store". If you take to a local store for an alignment, perhaps that will work out fine in theory (not sure), however if have you DAP the many system sensors are all supposed to be calibrated after an alignment. It's my understanding the DAP's accuracy relies on being properly calibrated with the vehicles alignment, so if they are not, well I guess its a crapshoot if your DAP will be working properly. Only an Audi dealer has the equipment to calibrate and it's a very time consuming process, thus labor cost intense (I heard upwards of 6 + hours). Perhaps ask your local Audi dealer SA for more detailed explanation before letting a local alignment shop touch it. Also, I recall their are numerous posts throughout the forum (on many Audi models) that discuss this topic, so perhaps a search will help out with some further details for ya.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 Q7 premium plus with the RS 21" wheels. I currently have 31,000 miles. I have had the car aligned each oil change by the dealer. At 15,000 my front right tire was bald, the other 3 past the wear bars on what the car came with (285/40-21contisport contact). Then I bought Pirelli scorpion all season and at 31,000 miles, the right rear is bald, left rear half is heavily worn and the front tires are at least 3/4 through the life. I think it is ridiculous that these tires are lasting only 15,000 miles. The car does "shift around" when the road changes, grooves, and other irregularities. I wonder if the car constantly is correcting itself, the tires are being scrubbed to death. My tire pressures have been 34/32 psi, what the required pressure should be.
I had a 2012 Q7 TDI and would get 50,000 or more miles on a set of tires.

Quick Reply: Tire wear on outside edge (one side)