Tire wear on outside edge (one side) - Page 3 - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page > Tire wear on outside edge (one side)
Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire wear on outside edge (one side)

Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had contacted Audi USA about this and was told that as part of the regular maintainance Audi is not required to rotate the tires. Its upto the owner to maintain the tires. This infact is a bummer that the tires donot last more than 10 to 15 k miles.

I am also shocked that Audi dealers do not rotate the tires and Audi also acknowledges the fact they do not do it.

I wonder why Audi would not do it as part of the standard maintaince or atelast let the customer know that they do not know this and they are advised to rotate the tires.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by San Ramon View Post
I am also shocked that Audi dealers do not rotate the tires and Audi also acknowledges the fact they do not do it.
There is nothing to be shocked about. It is a routine thing that is entirely a vehicle owner's choice. Just like maintaining appropriate air pressure in your tires. No dealer of any brand is obligated to do tire rotation if you haven't asked about it. Granted, if you have a decent Service Adviser, he'll tell you that is is recommended every 5K-6K miles. And as far rotation being mandatory required for all permanent 4X4 - this is also a baloney. On my VW Touareg I've stopped doing tire rotation altogether - after observing absolutely even wear on all four corners and across each tire. The only valid reason for rotation was a lot of heavy towing - say, 4K-5K miles per year. With so much towing rear tires were wearing a bit faster. IMO it is all about particularities of a vehicle, maintaining air pressure in accordance to manufacturer recommendations and proper alignement.

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 04-12-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: cc
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, rotating tires will help even wear, BUT my problem is what the hell is the vehicle doing to blow through 400 tread wear tires in 15,000 miles? I had a 2012 Q7 TDI, no problems, 40-50k out of tires. I've have two corvettes with 200 tread wear tires last 20,000 miles. It is ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also, I have never rotated tires on any of my other vehicles. I have had these vehicles throughout the years:
1994 3000gt vr4
1998 jeep wrangler
1998 eclipse awd turbo
2004 Lexus 350 SUV
2007 Lexus 430 SUV
1994, 2001, 2008, 2011 Dodge Ram pickup cummins diesel 2500-3500
2015 durmax chevy 3500 dually LTZ
2011 Cadillac CTSV coupe
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG
2015 corvette Z51
2017 corvette Z06

Never had a tire problem that would cause excessive wear. I called the dealer and all they say is, "no service bulletins are on the vehicle, maybe we can get you a discount on a set of tires". They did 2 alignments and rotated my tires on both the 10k and 20k service.

So, I am suppose to replace tires on my Q7 every 6-7 mths at $1800 a set. This is my last Audi.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

forgot the Audi's I've had, all purchased new:

2005 Audi A4 1.8T (engine blew up) some kind of engine oiling defect
2012 Q7 TDI (buy back program because Audi scammed the governmental requirements)
2017 Q7 premium plus
Old 04-13-2018, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trevorp View Post
Yes, rotating tires will help even wear, BUT my problem is what the hell is the vehicle doing to blow through 400 tread wear tires in 15,000 miles? I had a 2012 Q7 TDI, no problems, 40-50k out of tires. I've have two corvettes with 200 tread wear tires last 20,000 miles. It is ridiculous.
Agree 100%. I'm not sure which is worse, ripping through tires at 10K miles or the dealer/AoA pretending that there is no problem.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nedstand View Post
Agree 100%. I'm not sure which is worse, ripping through tires at 10K miles or the dealer/AoA pretending that there is no problem.
I am going to my dealer on Wednesday - to remove my Q7's winter wheels/tires set and put on the OEM wheels/tires with run-flats on (run-flats have ~5800 miles on them - used them till October). The front Blizzak winter tires outer edges exhibit more wear than inner edges - with quite a noticeable difference. The rear tires seem to be worn evenly and less than the front ones. Spoke with my SA on a phone before appointment. He is no-BS good guy. He's still figuring out Q7 tires wear intricacies himself. According to his experience, most Q7 seems to be having more tire wear on the right side (???) and on outer tire edges. Surprisingly MKII Q7 rarely makes more than 20K-25K miles on OE run-flats vs. pre-2015 Q7 making ~30K miles on a set. I've also learned from my SA that if a vehicle has less than 12K miles on odometer, wheel alignment can be done on Audi's dime as it is covered by warranty. I'd definitely want him to check alignment (I normally do wheel alignments every 15K-20K anyway...). We'll see if there is any correlation between alignment numbers and tires outer edge wear.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
I am going to my dealer on Wednesday - to remove my Q7's winter wheels/tires set and put on the OEM wheels/tires with run-flats on (run-flats have ~5800 miles on them - used them till October). The front Blizzak winter tires outer edges exhibit more wear than inner edges - with quite a noticeable difference. The rear tires seem to be worn evenly and less than the front ones. Spoke with my SA on a phone before appointment. He is no-BS good guy. He's still figuring out Q7 tires wear intricacies himself. According to his experience, most Q7 seems to be having more tire wear on the right side (???) and on outer tire edges. Surprisingly MKII Q7 rarely makes more than 20K-25K miles on OE run-flats vs. pre-2015 Q7 making ~30K miles on a set. I've also learned from my SA that if a vehicle has less than 12K miles on odometer, wheel alignment can be done on Audi's dime as it is covered by warranty. I'd definitely want him to check alignment (I normally do wheel alignments every 15K-20K anyway...). We'll see if there is any correlation between alignment numbers and tires outer edge wear.
At 10K, the front tires had wear on one, and chunking on the other. Audi dealer replaced the chunking tire, and rotated, They also did an alignment (free as you said under 12K) and reported slight adjustment, but not enough to explain the unusual wear. At 20K, I had my indy replace the front tires (which had 10K on rear, and 10K on front) as they were bad. Indy also did an alignment and reported as me as dealer's alignment at 10K. Indy suggests rotate every 5K miles. Prior we had an X5 which IIRC we got 30K+ from tires.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there a "poll tool" built in to this site? I've searched, but can't seem to find something. I want to create two polls:

Tirewear (outside edge): Year, build date, tire brand, 20 or 21", steel springs or air suspension, current mileage, approx. mileage when problem was noticed
Brake Squeal: Year, build date, current mileage, approx. mileage when problem was first noticed, temperature sensitivity, occurs backing up, occurs moving forward.

Perhaps if we collected data, we could submit to AoA. I'm experiencing both issues, plus the suspension "clunk" while turning at low speeds, rattling in the sunroof and speaker grills. Still love the vehicle, but some of these are pretty annoying and I expect more from Audi.

I can create an external poll and just provide a link. Anything else I should add to these?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Originally Posted by OuttieForLife View Post
Is there a "poll tool" built in to this site? I've searched, but can't seem to find something. I want to create two polls:
Yes there is a polling option... 1. Create new thread. 2. at the bottom, there is an option to add a poll.

Your poll should have at least two more questions... "are you experiencing uneven tire wear"? and then Which tire(s) and wear type... ie.. "Which Location(S) (Inside edge, outside edge, front left, front right tire, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: