Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I have the 2017 Goodyear run flat and I want to change my tires to non run flat tires. Is it possible to change It? Is there any Tire brand for this Car? The only other one
out there is Pirelli but also in run flat. Has anybody change their tire to non flat?
Old 05-10-2019, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes changed to Michelin, love them. Found fix a flat unit under back floor board.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRon
Yes changed to Michelin, love them. Found fix a flat unit under back floor board.
Whaat kind of Michelin? they are not run flat?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by maic55
Whaat kind of Michelin? they are not run flat?
PREMIER LTX
not run flat
Old 05-10-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the difference between RFT and non-RFT that noticeable? I ask because its been a while since I daily drove a non-RFT car. Since you have apples-to-apples experience, you would know best
Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

My OEM Continentals were not run flat, wore out at 40,000. Run flats are several pounds heavier and a bit stiffer. I’ve had two punctures in the Michelins and repaired without incident. I think run flats are overrated emotionally
Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

My OEM Continentals were not run flat, wore out at 40,000. Run flats are several pounds heavier and a bit stiffer. I’ve had two punctures in the Michelins and repaired without incident. I think run flats are overrated emotionally
I agree. I think there is a bit of misconception or maybe lack of education, where people think it's harder to get a puncture with RFT tires. Which is simply not the case. The only advantage RFT tire gives you is that you can limp to someplace where it would be safe for you to change the tire in case of a puncture. The disadvantages of RFTs are numerous, starting with weight, stiffness and most importantly lack of inventory. With Audi decision to select odd tire size for the Q (20" and 21" rims) and combine it with RFT all seasons which no one (not even dealers) seem to keep in stock, eliminates the only advantage of having RFT in the first place. The two punctures I had, required a complete tire replacement, and each time I had to wait 48 hours so the tire could be delivered from some distant warehouse. BTW, most shops will refuse RFT repair. It's not that you cannot repair RFT, it's that their internal policies will prevent them from doing a repair in the first place. Money grab - maybe. I think, not having a spare is the really bad design decision on Audi's part.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
I agree. I think there is a bit of misconception or maybe lack of education, where people think it's harder to get a puncture with RFT tires. Which is simply not the case. The only advantage RFT tire gives you is that you can limp to someplace where it would be safe for you to change the tire in case of a puncture. The disadvantages of RFTs are numerous, starting with weight, stiffness and most importantly lack of inventory. With Audi decision to select odd tire size for the Q (20" and 21" rims) and combine it with RFT all seasons which no one (not even dealers) seem to keep in stock, eliminates the only advantage of having RFT in the first place. The two punctures I had, required a complete tire replacement, and each time I had to wait 48 hours so the tire could be delivered from some distant warehouse. BTW, most shops will refuse RFT repair. It's not that you cannot repair RFT, it's that their internal policies will prevent them from doing a repair in the first place. Money grab - maybe. I think, not having a spare is the really bad design decision on Audi's part.
Fact. I also had a small puncture/leak on a RFT. Every tire/wheel shop I’ve brought it too stated they can “attempt” to fix it however there’s a chance they can ruin/not able to plug the hole. Advice was to purchase a new tire. Once I go through these RFT I will be switching to Michelins. I figured if I get a flat in the Michelin’s and the goo/air pump can’t give me a quick fix to limp somewhere to fix the tires, RFTs wouldn’t have helped me neither.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ride comfort is much better on non runflats, along with noise. waiting for my current pirellis to wear out to replace with non runflats. because of less material, they weigh less == better mileage. plus they are usually cheaper too.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonatx
ride comfort is much better on non runflats, along with noise. waiting for my current pirellis to wear out to replace with non runflats. because of less material, they weigh less == better mileage. plus they are usually cheaper too.
I agree - my winters are non-RFT and the ride seemed more comfortable on them. Once my GY 20" RFTs are done, will replace them with 195/45 R20 Conti DWS. Will trow a winter full size spare in my roofbox/cargo on very long trips.

Quick Reply: Tires