Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tires

 
Old 05-14-2019, 02:42 PM
  #21  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by dohturdima View Post
Sorry - I did mean 295. I prefer to go wider than narrower so 275 isn't something I would consider.
Will the 295/45 fit the 20 wheel? The spec of the 295/45/20 usually says the width of the wheel needs to be at least 9.5 inches wide while the stock wheel is only 9 inches.
philosli is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 AM
  #22  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 216
Default

Originally Posted by philosli View Post
Will the 295/45 fit the 20” wheel? The spec of the 295/45/20 usually says the width of the wheel needs to be at least 9.5 inches wide while the stock wheel is only 9 inches.
Others on this forum are running this setup with no issues - can search for the thread or someone will confirm here.
dohturdima is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 AM
  #23  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by philosli View Post
Will the 295/45 fit the 20 wheel? The spec of the 295/45/20 usually says the width of the wheel needs to be at least 9.5 inches wide while the stock wheel is only 9 inches.
They undoubtedly will physically fit as it is not a big change from the OEM size spec; however, Continental will tell you that it is not an "approved" fitment. Same for folks who run the 295/40/R21 DWS06 on the 21" wheels. The 295/40R21 tire size technically requires a 10" wide rim, but the OEM 21" wheel is only 9.5" wide. I have asked Continental about the use of the 295/40R21 on the MKII Q7 and was told: "We cannot recommend that fitment. This would not meet the TRA or ETRTO standards." So, anecdotally, the option seems to work, but the manufacturers will not bless it.
TNVol is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM
  #24  
AudiWorld Member
 
ConservativeConsumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 287
Default

The Continental knows what they are saying... So as the Tire Rack specialists, and the Nokian people, and the Michelin engineers and any other professional tire guys. I would not risk my passengers and my own safety for a benefit of having better selection of tires. The OEM tires are are already on the upper side of the rim sizes allowed.
ConservativeConsumer is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM
  #25  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Janesville WI
Posts: 140
Default

Originally Posted by Lectoid View Post
I have 22k on my 20in Pirellis and I'm almost to the wear marks. I drive like an old lady too. Half of those miles are highway. I can't see getting to 30k. I can't wait to get non-runflats, These are so loud. I took it to the dealer thinking a wheel bearing was going bad.
I must have good luck as I get 50,000+ out of my run flats, consistently. Right now I'm at 55,000 and will run them through the summer.

I love run flats and gravitate to putting on my daughter's vehicles for safety reasons stated earlier - get to a safe place to change out the bad one.

There have been 3 repairs made on 2 different run flat tires and the service professional never said anything about not repairing them.
Wisconsin Q7 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 AM
  #26  
AudiWorld Member
 
ConservativeConsumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 287
Default

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Q7 View Post
I must have good luck as I get 50,000+ out of my run flats, consistently. Right now I'm at 55,000 and will run them through the summer.

I love run flats and gravitate to putting on my daughter's vehicles for safety reasons stated earlier - get to a safe place to change out the bad one.

There have been 3 repairs made on 2 different run flat tires and the service professional never said anything about not repairing them.
Hi, neighbor! Would you mind satisfying my curiosity by telling which of the two Q7's RF tires - GY Eagles or PS Verde - you were able to get 50000+ miles service from? Thanks!
ConservativeConsumer is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:45 AM
  #27  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
gregwgregw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
Hi, neighbor! Would you mind satisfying my curiosity by telling which of the two Q7's RF tires - GY Eagles or PS Verde - you were able to get 50000+ miles service from? Thanks!

I'll throw in my $.02.... I have 35,000 miles on the original Goodyear Eagles. Was in for 40,000 mile service a couple weeks ago (free front brake pad replacement at that time thanks to the squeaky brake TSB I learned about from the fine folks on this forum), and they checked every thing over. Said the tires were in great shape and to expect at least another 10,000 miles from them. This leads me to a general question:

Why is there such a large variance in miles driven until worn out, some at around 10,000 miles and others at 50-plus thousand miles (whether Goodyear or Pirelli)? I know there are many factors to consider, but wonder how I became one of the lucky ones? Am I somehow in perfect alignment/camber/pressure setup? Not doing anything special other than an alignment performed at around 25,000 miles. 50/50 city/highway. Driving style more aggressive than gentle.
gregwgregw is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:26 AM
  #28  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Janesville WI
Posts: 140
Default

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer View Post
Hi, neighbor! Would you mind satisfying my curiosity by telling which of the two Q7's RF tires - GY Eagles or PS Verde - you were able to get 50000+ miles service from? Thanks!
I have the Goodyear Eagle Sport
Wisconsin Q7 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
  #29  
AudiWorld Member
 
ConservativeConsumer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 287
Default

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Q7 View Post
I have the Goodyear Eagle Sport
Thanks!
The GY Eagles is what I have too. The vehicle is at about 26K miles now, but winters I am driving on the dedicated Blizzaks, so the total mileage on GYs is probably somewhere around 15K. The tires still have plenty of tread ~9/32 or a bit less, but the two of four tires started developing minor flaking. There is no change in ride whatsoever nor in noise level, just looks are not perfect... Was thinking replacing them with none-RF tires next season, but if flaking will not progress beyond nothing more that blemish on appearance, I might keep them longer.
ConservativeConsumer is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 PM
  #30  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: MA
Posts: 379
Default

Originally Posted by gregwgregw View Post
I'll throw in my $.02.... I have 35,000 miles on the original Goodyear Eagles. Was in for 40,000 mile service a couple weeks ago (free front brake pad replacement at that time thanks to the squeaky brake TSB I learned about from the fine folks on this forum), and they checked every thing over. Said the tires were in great shape and to expect at least another 10,000 miles from them. This leads me to a general question:

Why is there such a large variance in miles driven until worn out, some at around 10,000 miles and others at 50-plus thousand miles (whether Goodyear or Pirelli)? I know there are many factors to consider, but wonder how I became one of the lucky ones? Am I somehow in perfect alignment/camber/pressure setup? Not doing anything special other than an alignment performed at around 25,000 miles. 50/50 city/highway. Driving style more aggressive than gentle.
I would assume it has something to do with alignment. In combination with climate, tires hate heat and the hotter it is the more they wear. Tire pressure and rotation can have a lot to do with it as well...
mhoran89 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
caster
Off-topic Discussion
12
02-21-2005 12:43 PM
ex-quattro PETE
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
5
02-14-2002 11:39 AM
turbo1
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
0
06-18-2001 04:51 PM
pareto
Wheels & Tires Discussion
0
02-09-2001 03:41 PM
Broker
A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
9
01-05-2001 05:14 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: