Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires getting louder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2018 Q7, Pirelli 20 runflat; at 13k started to hear a very loud rhythmic roaring noise, been to 2 different dealers so far with no luck, all what they did was wheel balance and rotation which did not help at all; and diagnosed tire feathering. now thinking to change tires to none-run-flat cross contact LX sport all season 285/45 r20, any thoughts, recommendations?
Old 11-03-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

And that's is why IMHO Audi did a grave disservice by not providing a visible screen showing all four tire pressures. I am astounded that we have to check tire pressures manually. My Infinity had a nice screen and I knew when to add air.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sylvaniapal
I have 2018 Q7, Pirelli 20 runflat; at 13k started to hear a very loud rhythmic roaring noise, been to 2 different dealers so far with no luck, all what they did was wheel balance and rotation which did not help at all; and diagnosed tire feathering. now thinking to change tires to none-run-flat cross contact LX sport all season 285/45 r20, any thoughts, recommendations?
This is exactly my situation. I'm not sure I'll put runflats on it next time and take the risk. I have towing insurance and a patch kit. My dealer basicly shrugged his shoulders at the tires and said they've had complaints. But as we know from other threads that Audi doesn't really care about service. I can hardly wait till my google maps stops working. At least apple carplay has google maps working now.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume most feedback here are related to 20" RF? How about 19" RF, can anyone share some experiences with those?
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Time to check the alignment and get new tires. Damage to the tires has been done, but you wanna make sure the new tires don't suffer from the same issue. Feathering, cupping and what not are all symptoms of suspension problems. Bad alignment being the number one culprit and improperly inflating tires or not regularly checking and adjusting tire pressure. Audis like many other cars have different recommended tire pressure depending on the load. Unfortunately, in the USA the door sticker only lists the recommended tire pressure for when the car is fully loaded with passengers and cargo. This pressure is generally too high if you only drive around by yourself and barely any cargo. The owner's manual lists the normal load tire pressure, which should be used for most of the driving. Some tires are more prone to certain irregular tire wear, but first and foremost you wanna check your alignment and tire pressure, but as said, once the damage has been done to the tires it can't be reversed.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanCC
I assume most feedback here are related to 20" RF? How about 19" RF, can anyone share some experiences with those?
I just switched mine out for the the winters a few days ago and measured the tread depth. I estimate there’s 35k km on the tires (winter tires split the duty) and tread depth is 6-7/32 on all tires. Estimated life is 50-60k km. Not appreciably louder either. Pirelli Scorpions.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I currently have the 20" 10-spoke, 285/45R20 and have studied the tire situation closely. I've even considered going down to a 19" or 18" wheel but do know, I'll definitely go non run-flat when it is time to change. I did this on my previous BMW and will follow the same route this time as I find the RF tires overly firm with an abundance of road noise. The Good Year Eagle Sport RF's (112H XL) came on my Q7 and they are no different than my previous experiences with RF's.

I still haven't decided which tire if I stick with the 20's but I'll likely either go 265/50R20 or 255/50R20. The load & speed ratings need to be as close as possible to the original Good Year though. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus seems to be the closest match in the 265/50 size with ratings of 111V XL.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

agree that it seems there is an alignment issue, but why didn't any of the 2 dealers check it while the car was at their dealership? should I specifically ask for an alignment check?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't have an alignment issue. All my tires have worn evenly, rotated once and just short of 16k miles now. No feathering or anything else odd. Just wearing faster than I expected. I've never had to put air in them except when one had a hole patched.
20" pirelli scorpions.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

agree that it seems there is an alignment issue, but why didn't any of the 2 dealers check it while the car was at their dealership? should I specifically ask for an alignment check?
I would expect that somebody who knows what they are doing would properly diagnose it and realize that the alignment must be off, but as it goes with skilled technicians, they do not grow on trees. Always best to be informed and question their work.

Originally Posted by Lectoid
Just wearing faster than I expected.
4400 lbs of car will do that.

Quick Reply: Tires getting louder?