Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tires getting louder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
At 15000 miles my Pirelli's are so loud I thought I had a wheel bearing going out. Seriously, they are louder than the tires on my Tacoma.....never seen tires get this loud this quick.
My Pirellis got noisy after 10k miles then at 12.5k I got a flat and just replaced all four with Bridgestones. Two tire stores declined to fix my damaged Pirelli because the puncture was at the junction of the outer edge of the tread and the sidewall where they said a patch wouldn't work due to all the flexing in that area when cornering. And I didn't want to buy another $350 run-flat Pirelli. Mine were worn 4/32 from the new tread depth and 2/32 is the maximum allowable tread depth differential between tires according to Audi. So I couldn't buy just one new tire even if I wanted too. The Bridgestones, 255/50R20 non-runflats, are noticeably smoother and quieter.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same here. Brought my Q into dealership at 8k for tire noise (Pirelli 20s) and told there was nothing wrong. Again at 10k much worse - dealership ignored me and said just buy new tires. Lived with the noise and now 20k need to buy a set.

the Bridgestone’s fit the 285/45r20s ok? Any issues?

Originally Posted by Rjim
My Pirellis got noisy after 10k miles then at 12.5k I got a flat and just replaced all four with Bridgestones. Two tire stores declined to fix my damaged Pirelli because the puncture was at the junction of the outer edge of the tread and the sidewall where they said a patch wouldn't work due to all the flexing in that area when cornering. And I didn't want to buy another $350 run-flat Pirelli. Mine were worn 4/32 from the new tread depth and 2/32 is the maximum allowable tread depth differential between tires according to Audi. So I couldn't buy just one new tire even if I wanted too. The Bridgestones, 255/50R20 non-runflats, are noticeably smoother and quieter.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's a pretty bad attitude. Tire pressure needs to be checked regularly and adjusted and the TPMS needs to be reset. At least once a month, every other week is better, especially if you have temperature swings. Tires naturally lose air. The oxygen molecules escape through small pores in the compound. It's not unusual to lose about 1 psi per 4 weeks. On top of that, every 10F degrees in temperature change is another 1 psi loss or increase. TPMS is there as a last resort to alert you if the pressure is really low. We are talking 20-25% low as required by law, so by the time the TPMS goes off you've been driving around on underinflated tires for a while most likely. That affects your mpg, tire wear, handling and safety. Tires are the most underestimated equipment of a car. It's the only thing between the car and the road. Ever seen tires explode on the highway or the aftermath? That happens when folks drive on underinflated tires. Underinflated tires heat up much more than they should and eventually that can lead to tread separation and blow out. The other day I was driving back from LA and was about to pass this BMW. Just when I was coming up on his side, his rear left tire blew. Tread separated and started rolling towards me. I was able to accelerate to avoid being hit by it. The tread kept rolling behind me and eventually went off the road. Please don't be that guy.
To be clear I visually inspect the tires daily, if it looks low I will do more, but as soon as I do more, I feel like its an endless cycle of never being right. (of course this is probably an artifact of having something wrong to begin with). I do like the passive TPMS more than the active, although when the tire is messed up its kinda moot.

Also I had a steelbelt blow out on a semi next to me once, that scared the poo out of me, I think my window was down too, but I don't remember.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, in general run flats are much nosier when they age than non-run flats.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
To be clear I visually inspect the tires daily, if it looks low I will do more, but as soon as I do more, I feel like its an endless cycle of never being right. (of course this is probably an artifact of having something wrong to begin with). I do like the passive TPMS more than the active, although when the tire is messed up its kinda moot.

Also I had a steelbelt blow out on a semi next to me once, that scared the poo out of me, I think my window was down too, but I don't remember.
Depending on the tires you can't tell visually if they are low these days. Low profile tires keep their shape until they are really really low. I'm not sure what the challenge is with regularly checking and adjusting tire pressure. It's about a straight forward as it gets. I have my own compressor in the garage, but most of the time I use my bicycle floor pump. 4-5 pumps puts in 0.5 psi and I check every other week. As long as you check the tire pressure while the tires are cold, ideally before driving at all, but not after it's been driving more than a mile. Tire pressure is very temperature dependent, so you'll have to factor that in. Large temperature swings will result in constant changes to the tire pressure. That's just how it is. If it's really bothering you consider filling them with Nitrogen, which results in a more stable tire pressure, but personally I think the cost doesn't justify it. A good tire gauge, combined with a compressor/pump in the garage and regular checks is all that's really needed.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cltsig
+1
Old 09-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So how are the Bridgestones? Any pics? Noise levels etc
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Large temperature swings will result in constant changes to the tire pressure. That's just how it is.
You're preaching to the choir, I've had to change a tire in -5 F before, that is the definition of not fun. (it is the internet and there's a certain amount of exaggeration/hyperbole in my original post) I've also used a bicycle pump to fix a low tire before.

I've never done nitrogen, and you're correct temperature often can and does affect the pressure, but I've also checked them regularly enough to know they can go months at a time through temp changes and be fine, if you're constantly losing pressure you have a problem, (could be the rim/tire or just a bad seal).

I'm definitely more hands off, but I'm not "that guy" either.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Davedimes
Same here. Brought my Q into dealership at 8k for tire noise (Pirelli 20s) and told there was nothing wrong. Again at 10k much worse - dealership ignored me and said just buy new tires. Lived with the noise and now 20k need to buy a set.

the Bridgestone’s fit the 285/45r20s ok? Any issues?

The Bridgestone's in the 255/50R20 size fit just fine. They also have the same XL load rating as the Pirelli 285/45R20s. They are virtually the same diameter but the tread width is about an inch narrower. So far they are smooth and quiet and seem to be giving me a slight boost in gas mileage, but they have only been on the car two weeks. The model is " Dueler H/L Alenza plus" and cost $1178 installed at my local Firestone store. I'm sure there are better tires available but if I'm going to replace them every 20K or so, I decided to go with lower price. My main concern is not having a spare and knowing I'll have to pull off the road and wait for a tow when I get my next flat.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:13 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cltsig
I agree.. But IME runflats are also nosier than conventional tires even when they're new..

I experienced this first hand 2.5 years ago when my oldest son bought his Q50S.. Within two weeks he replaced the runflats with Michelin A/S 3's and the difference in comfort, noise, wet and dry traction was incredible. It made the car so much more enjoyable.

Fortunately his car came with the factory spare and jack kit so it was a no brainer to replace the runflats..

Quick Reply: Tires getting louder?