Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tow hook tread size/license plate holder

Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow hook tread size/license plate holder

Anyone know of a tow hook license plate holder that will fit the Q7? I've purchased 3 different ones, and they are all too small. Next step will be a custom one but need to know the size and pitch of bolt that will fit.

The RS grille does not have holes for the front license plate, and I, unfortunately, live in a state that requires a front license plate holder.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After searching around on other forums it seems as though "Platypus" has a kit for the Audi Q7 4M. Cost: $70. The quality of the parts in the kit is excellent, however it places the license plate in a seemly bad position. It partially (50-60%) obstructs the lower air intake scoop for the intercooler(?) on the passenger side. In the end, I only used the "bolt" to screw into the tow hook area and proceeded to used the mounting plate and adjuster from another eBay kit to place the plate where I thought would least obstruct air flow.

All in all, I spent $100 to relocate the license plate to the tow hook area. Worth it? probably not.

Tip: Attempt to place the license plate as CLOSE to the bumper as possible. This will prevent any premature triggering of the parking sensor.

Anyways on to the next project... SQ7 exhaust tips with active sound generators

Final position.

Last edited by plastics; 11-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:37 AM
Former Vendor

Hey All- We designed the Platypus, and my company mission statement is all about evolving parts...so lets work together to make the best solution we can!

What sort of 'Extender' did you use? I have multiple plate backing options ready and what we call an extension arm. Can we work together to get the Q7 fit better?

-=Kellen
Old 11-11-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Craven Speed
Hey All- We designed the Platypus, and my company mission statement is all about evolving parts...so lets work together to make the best solution we can!
Hi Kellen,

I'd like to thank you for somehow discovering this thread and reaching out. I would definitely like to help in anyway I can. Hopefully, the product can evolve; as it has a lot of potential to being not just a good product but an excellent one. These are my short critiques of this product so far

Pro:
1. No messing around with adjustability brackets/ball joints/sockets. I like the fact that the product has the potential to becoming a "screw it in" and forget it type of license plate relocater. For others who are reading this, it took a good 1 hour to adjust the generic (eBay) license plate holder to avoid pre-mature triggering of the parking sensor. The Platypus potentially, if reworked, can save you a bunch of time on the install.
2. Quality of material used. When comparing the material/hardware of the platypus to that of the generic plate holder. The difference is night and day.

Cons:
1. Sub-optimal location. See below

Originally Posted by Craven Speed
What sort of 'Extender' did you use? I have multiple plate backing options ready and what we call an extension arm. Can we work together to get the Q7 fit better?
If you can see, I had to modify a "ball socket joint" from a generic plate re-iocater in order to move the entire license plate more medially. If you can tell by picture #4, with the Platypus plate holder superimposed onto where it would normally sit. It would cover a good portion of the air duct, leading to an air cooling device, on the passenger side.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Former Vendor

Cool, if you PM your email address I can get your info so I can send our some other pieces to try. I have a plate that will move it away from the duct but I worry about getting too close to that sensor (you are right, keeping the plate close to the bumper keeps it out of the ever widening cone of view). I prefer not to use the extension arm, because (as you noted) having the kit come ready to go is a pretty great feature, that why we built in the nuts and such too.

I am glad I found your post also. I joined Audiworld not that long ago with just this in mind. We are much too small of a business to own even every AUDI, let alone the other makes we have parts for, so getting your feedback is key. We go to the dealerships and make sure everything fits, but we can miss out on things that are still important sometimes.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed the platypus on my wife's Q7. Very sturdy. I take the one on my S8 through the car wash with no issues.
No parking sensor warnings. The location seem appropriate. It didn't seem to obstruct airflow. I thought it looked good, however my wife prefers the factory look so I had to return for a full refund. Cravenspeed is great to work with.

p.s. the factory black optic bracket is $275.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If that were my car, I would just custom design and 3D print a plate mount that attached to the grille, but can't you just use black cable ties and attach the plate to the grille in a way that looks ok?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

not a fan at all!! i don't run front plate on any of my cars even though my state requires them!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't mind a front plate on the Q7 as there is so much room for it, but I saw a Stingray with one, and that was just so depressing.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIO
not a fan at all!! i don't run front plate on any of my cars even though my state requires them!
Got ticketed 3 times on my 1st X5, pulled over and ticketed (hefty surcharge if you are pulled over, not so much while parked)
Got pulled over twice, one resulted in ticket, other was a really nice young hip state trooper let me go, but was ticketed in 2 other ocassions. When I got the ticket, it was a mean mean man who kept me waiting for more than 30 minutes. Maybe he wanted to buy an X5 too, but he was just mean, I wanted to tell him off and ask him to give me the ticket and let me go, but didn't feel like getting arrested. He went back and sat in his car for 30 minutes before coming back with a ticket.
Had to zip tie my plate on my X5 in her last month of lease.

Now, considering Q7, and the anxiety alone and looking over my shoulder if the cruiser will make a U turn and pull me over is enough for me to slap that plate on the front.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow hook tread size/license plate holder