Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tow package

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

It's not a design failure, it's revenue loss prevention program.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smpitman
If you have the Dealer install the "Factory/OEM" hitch system, you lose the ability of opening the rear hatch by waving you foot under the bumper. This is a design failure...
it can still be open by waving your foot the sensor. Its moved to the right side of the tow hitch instead of the middle.
The dealer not only installing the tow hitch they also need to replace the rear bumper bottom plastic panel with the tow hitch cut out so it will fit.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon129
it can still be open by waving your foot the sensor. Its moved to the right side of the tow hitch instead of the middle.
The dealer not only installing the tow hitch they also need to replace the rear bumper bottom plastic panel with the tow hitch cut out so it will fit.
Does the mk II tow package have additional cooling like the mk I package?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon129
Would like to share my experience of installing Tow Hitch at dealer.
1) It indeed very costly here in Canada (Pfaff Audi Vaughan)I was able to negotiate to 2,3 k. However I had few surprises
2) The dealer was calling me on the same day saying that he didn't order the correct part and the delivery was postponed to the next day (sounds fishy already)
3) I was trying to get an ETA on the next day since I din't receive any loaner and I was told that it would be "addition" of calibrating 360 camera because they didn't realize I had it :-)
4) My understanding that "addition" means they need more time so I said "ok".
5) During the pick up I was introduced to a bill there they charged me 300 for camera calibration. I told them that I didn't sign this work order and I'm not going to pay. He told me that I have the records of our phone conversation and I said yes there. I didn't agree so we've listened this conversation together. He said "addition" but he never clarified addition of what. So he was agreeing to write off the charge but it looked like he was very angry
6) I was so pissed off that I forgot to check the option of opening the trunk with a foot. I've checked it in home and it doesn't work well. It opens the trunk eventually after many attempts.
7) So I'm going to have another conversation with them about quality since we agreed that this option stays.

Just out of curiosity I need to understand if the camera calibrating was a necessity or they just rob clients this way.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Hitch is nowhere near to where the camera sits, nor the new hitch should affect the view, angles or coverage of the camera. From the camera perspective, hitch is hidden. However, one thing I'm not clear on is the fact that you do have a hitch specific view in the camera, I just don't know if it's there even if you do not have the hitch (mine came with tow package installed, so it's there). That's the only thing I can think of here, but it sounds more like activating an option rather than recalibrating, and they sure as hell shouldn't charge you addition 300 for that.

BTW, it has been mentioned on the forum multiple times that installation of the hitch outside of the factory does affect hands free opening of the hatch. It either disables it completely or it makes it harder to activate it. It has something to do with the cutouts in the bumper cover and actual sensor placements that for some reason are not that easily replicated during post factory installation (if a man has built it, we should be able to replicate it - maybe I'm wrong).

Last edited by gsobol; 10-02-2018 at 03:15 PM.