Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Towing Mirrors

Has anyone found a set of towing mirrors that work well with the Q7? I haven't been able to find any custom made mirrors, so I am wondering if anyone had any luck with the universal mirrors?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are hoping that the mirrors we currently use on an MDX will work on the Q7 we'll have by June 1. Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirror available at Amazon and some retailers.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yachthalo
We are hoping that the mirrors we currently use on an MDX will work on the Q7 we'll have by June 1. Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirror available at Amazon and some retailers.
How did these mirrors work out for you? We are considering these for our Q7.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterHawke
How did these mirrors work out for you? We are considering these for our Q7.
I ordered those from Amazon after his post. Tried them a few weeks ago and they worked very well, clamping to the lip at the bottom of the sideview mirror housing. Stayed put for the whole trip, including several miles of dirt/rough road. Only small bummer is the attachment clamps/thumbnuts extend down far enough that they interfere with the mirrors folding. It would work if I were to move the more inboard one much further out, but I was worried that would put the two clamps too close together and risk losing stability, etc.
The mirrors were much more stable and clear than a set I had tried years ago that strapped to the outside of the mirror housing in my previous Q7... And which fell off while driving on the highway. These are not going anywhere and the view in them is quite clear - worth the cost.

You can see the passenger side one:

Last edited by AlbertQ7; 08-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome! Thank you. I did order them just before I saw your post. Figured I would give them a go.

Have you tried them on the top of the mirrors?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterHawke
Awesome! Thank you. I did order them just before I saw your post. Figured I would give them a go.

Have you tried them on the top of the mirrors?
I briefly tried them on top but felt like the bottom lip was larger and flatter and therefore more secure. I also figured that if the clamp wiggled at all during travel and then left a mark, I would rather that be below and hidden instead of right on top. That said, I did not have much time to mess with them before my trip, so you should definitely try above as well and see what you think. If it would allow the mirrors to fold, it might be worth it. Let me know what you think once you test the positioning.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up placing them on the bottom because where they clamp allows them to extend about an additional inch to inch and a half further outward (compared to the top placement), giving me a better view behind the trailer (the Airstream is 8' wide). They proved very sturdy with minimal vibration at highway speeds. Love them.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use the Milenco mirrors on my Q7. There are different mounting pads made for different mirrors. When I purchased my mirrors in 2020, I was told that in the U.S. there was only one pad available and it worked for the Q7. The pads were smooth rubber and I felt they could slide off the mirror if the clamp became loose or they got bounced around too much. I checked the clamps and position of the pads every time I stopped. After about 10,000 miles of towing with them, one did fall off on a freeway. I was able to recover it but finding the pad that had separated from it was not easy. I had several instances of a mirror sliding out of position.

When I got home I looked for replacement pads and found there are pads made for these mirrors. The rubber portion has ridges that fit the mirror. One ridge fits into the groove on the mirror and the other ridge fits up against the edge of the mirror. These will not slide off even if tightened just a little.

I recommend anyone using these mirrors similar to the Q7 replaces the pads with the ones with ridges that fit the mirror.