Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Towing package, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Towing package, now what?

I got the towing package when I ordered my car a year ago. I didn't get anything else. I'm looking to get a hitch carrier for a trip (cheaper than roof bars and enclosure) and was thinking of putting some brake lights incase it covers the cars. I have no idea what else I need to buy to get the connector in the back.

I see two things on this page that seem like what I need.
https://parts.audiusa.com/accessorie...Tow-Hitch.html

Like if I wanted to use something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Tailgate-Flexible-Taillight-Vehicle%EF%BC%8C2/dp/B07F1PWDP2?pf_rd_p=3ebd7bb8-e4db-4762-b094-2aa45768a3b5&pd_rd_wg=0y9Mi&pf_rd_r=4FRZ0D7KX2KDRNNTBDN8&ref_=pd_gw_cr_cartx&pd_rd_w=ciw5q&pd_rd_r=03bd651a-abbd-4be0-9472-8fa34fb22f54 https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Tailgate-Flexible-Taillight-Vehicle%EF%BC%8C2/dp/B07F1PWDP2?pf_rd_p=3ebd7bb8-e4db-4762-b094-2aa45768a3b5&pd_rd_wg=0y9Mi&pf_rd_r=4FRZ0D7KX2KDRNNTBDN8&ref_=pd_gw_cr_cartx&pd_rd_w=ciw5q&pd_rd_r=03bd651a-abbd-4be0-9472-8fa34fb22f54

I think a lot of trailers use this type of connector incase I needed to two something else.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lectoid
I got the towing package when I ordered my car a year ago. I didn't get anything else. I'm looking to get a hitch carrier for a trip (cheaper than roof bars and enclosure) and was thinking of putting some brake lights incase it covers the cars. I have no idea what else I need to buy to get the connector in the back.

I see two things on this page that seem like what I need.
https://parts.audiusa.com/accessorie...Tow-Hitch.html

Like if I wanted to use something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Tailg...2-8fa34fb22f54

I think a lot of trailers use this type of connector incase I needed to two something else.
Here is what you'll need or similar
https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-20141-7-Way-Pin-5-Flat/dp/B00ASY29AM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Audi+trailer+connector+7-to-4+pins&qid=1560203242&s=gateway&sr=8-2 https://www.amazon.com/Fulton-20141-7-Way-Pin-5-Flat/dp/B00ASY29AM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Audi+trailer+connector+7-to-4+pins&qid=1560203242&s=gateway&sr=8-2
. Don't remember where did I buy mine though... In the past there was a known issue with the LED trailer lights triggering diagnostic fault messages, but I believe that this issue is non-existent for a new generation VAG cars. As far as the ball mount itself - I won't bother limiting yourself to those specifically designed for Audi Q7. Choose what works for you.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

You will likely also need the actual 7-way socket. That is not automatically included in the tow package. The Audi version is $75. This is identical in fit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There will be a spot just to the driver's side of the hitch receiver for the socket. If you already have a socket there, then you don't need my link. If you have a bare metal plate there, the wiring harness that should be tucked up behind the bracket and plate will plug into the socket linked above and the socket will screw in to the bracket instead of the metal plate (use the plate screws to install). Those sockets can be found locally at RV stores as well. The 1st one I received was defective, but I think it was a fluke.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea I just went out and looked. I do need that socket that Albert posted. Right now it's just some wires going to a flat plate with four screws. I tried taking it off and removing that blank plate, but I can't figure out how. There was a red plastic tab that I removed and still couldn't get the wires free. I've never dealt with trailers before with as much car wiring I've done in my life (audio/security).
Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lectoid
Yea I just went out and looked. I do need that socket that Albert posted. Right now it's just some wires going to a flat plate with four screws. I tried taking it off and removing that blank plate, but I can't figure out how. There was a red plastic tab that I removed and still couldn't get the wires free. I've never dealt with trailers before with as much car wiring I've done in my life (audio/security).
When you say that you removed the red plastic tab, did you truly remove it completely?
I installed the plug in October 2017 and don't remember all the details, but I had posted this afterwards in a different thread: "2 points of interest: the Audi end of the wiring that plugs into the Pollak 7-pin connector has a red tab that locks into the connector. That tab locks it onto the flat plate cover that comes on the car as well... So when you unscrew the plate, you need to look near the rear of the plug and find the tab, which extends to unlock. You must FULLY extend it to release, so if you think you did that but can't separate the parts, it means you didn't extend it enough! #2. The particular Pollak plug I received turned out to be defective. The connection to the left taillights/brakes for the trailer was not good. Replaced with a new Pollak plug I bought locally and it worked fine. Random bad plug, but be sure you test it before you REALLY need it. Oh, and my tester doesn't work since it didn't provide enough resistance to trigger the car into knowing something is plugged in. So you either need a tester that provides resistance or an actual trailer to test."

Hope that helps. It may also help if you buy a plug because then you can see how the wires would lock to the plug. They lock to the plate in a similar fashion I believe.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
When you say that you removed the red plastic tab, did you truly remove it completely?
I installed the plug in October 2017 and don't remember all the details, but I had posted this afterwards in a different thread: "2 points of interest: the Audi end of the wiring that plugs into the Pollak 7-pin connector has a red tab that locks into the connector. That tab locks it onto the flat plate cover that comes on the car as well... So when you unscrew the plate, you need to look near the rear of the plug and find the tab, which extends to unlock. You must FULLY extend it to release, so if you think you did that but can't separate the parts, it means you didn't extend it enough! #2. The particular Pollak plug I received turned out to be defective. The connection to the left taillights/brakes for the trailer was not good. Replaced with a new Pollak plug I bought locally and it worked fine. Random bad plug, but be sure you test it before you REALLY need it. Oh, and my tester doesn't work since it didn't provide enough resistance to trigger the car into knowing something is plugged in. So you either need a tester that provides resistance or an actual trailer to test."

Hope that helps. It may also help if you buy a plug because then you can see how the wires would lock to the plug. They lock to the plate in a similar fashion I believe.

I did remove that red tab completely. Like you said I'll wait till the one comes in and I'm sure I can figure it out from there.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

i am surprised the tow package on yours didnt come with the harness. mine had the 4 and 7 pin harness ready to go and tow.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MoInEd
i am surprised the tow package on yours didnt come with the harness. mine had the 4 and 7 pin harness ready to go and tow.
I remember being asked if I wanted it and I said no. I just got the hitch for a bike rack I've still yet to buy, and maybe tow something if the need arose.