Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trailer hitch retrofit question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer hitch retrofit question

Hello, just got OEM trailer hitch, will install tomorrow. Does anyone know what settings i need to change? Is it possibleto do it with OBD Eleven? Read something about sensor calibration or something like this. Thank you
Old 12-13-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the OEM hitch added by my local dealer. There is a calibration needed for the sensors post install. It was described to me as black and white "checker boards" set at various distances. The MMI will need to know the hitch was added to open up the towing screens within the MMI. I suspect this can be done with OBD11 but I do not know the code. It would appear to me your biggest obstacle is re-calibrating the sensors.

Steve
Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys mean that your cars did not have the hitch factory installed correct? How much did the dealer charge you to install the towing hitch?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My out the door price was $2900. The hitch was around $995 and the rest was labor. While it appears to be highway robbery, local shops were quoting me a lot higher, and neither were not using the OEM hitch. The issue is a combination of the wiring and sensors; one shop quoted me $9,500! The other shop was $4000 and no guarantee it would look good. Both suggested I have Audi do it, since their experience with installing hitches have never gone well. Either the sensors are never right, it looks bad, or both. To have both shops (very reputable) come out and say that, tells me it is not an easy process without the correct equipment. I appreciate their honesty and I will continue to use them for other needs.

For me, I wanted both a trailer hitch and running boards. Audi will not do both from the factory as they would then have to re-certify the load weight. At the time of order, I did not have an immediate need for a hitch, whereas my vertically challenged family members appreciate the running boards. Hindsight 20/20, I should have ordered the hitch from the factory and gotten the running boards after-market. It would have saved at least $1500. Hopefully others reading this will learn from my mistake.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Updates on this thread?

I'm considering a hitch for my 2017 Q7 and am asking for any updates on a DEALER install and maybe helping out on explaining all the settings for the rear camera and whatever else that updates the computer.
Thanks.