Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trailer hitch w/ running boards

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trailer hitch w/ running boards

Hello all...

When I ordered my Q7, I wanted both running boards and a trailer hitch. Unfortunately its one or the other but not both, so I opted for the running boards for my vertically challenged better half. I understand the reasoning is something to do with connecting both items to the frame. That said, I am not looking to tow a boat or trailer, I simply want to add a trailer hitch mounted bike rack. Has anyone done this after market or through the dealer (although I am not sure they will do body work)? Thoughts and experiences are both welcomed, thanks!
Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also considering adding an aftermarket Curt hitch to tow our ski boat and want to know if anyone else had added one.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I checked around in the area (Chester / Delaware Counties in PA). I spoke to 2 separate body shops who would do it with a "buyer beware" clause, since the wiring and sensors in the rear bumper are complicated. Oddly, both suggested I call an Audi dealership. Of the 2 nearest to me, only 1 would do it. Keep in mind, I am only looking to mount a bike rack. That statement seemed to open the conversation. At any rate, a 2" receiver will be added to my Q7 Thursday. It will take them 6 hours to put it on; which i assume can be attributed to the complicated sensors in the bumper the local shops wanted no part of.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Aftermarket can always be done, but at around $1500-2000 and wont looks as nice and neat tucked away. You can always get a back mounted bike rack. I use that a few times a year on my MB, and it works just fine and hasn't scratched or damaged the paint at all
Old 10-31-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dealer quoted me $2,500 complete. This was actually far less than what local shops were coming up with.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sdevoll
The dealer quoted me $2,500 complete. This was actually far less than what local shops were coming up with.
The finish will not be like factory however...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I picked it up this evening. I'll post a picture in the AM (yeah I know, it didn't happen until I post the pics, blah blah blah). A few notes...

They installed the exact part that would haven been used at the factory. However, they could not explain why the factory could not install both the hitch and running boards. According to the dealer tech, the standard rear bumper comes with an aluminum support/reinforcement that is bolted to the frame. The aluminum support is replaced with the steel tow hitch which is then bolted to the frame using the same holes the aluminum piece was utilizing.Wiring is re-threaded and the new electronics for the hitch are added and wired in. Lastly, they must re-calibrate all sensors located in the rear bumper, including the camera.

Steve
Old 11-02-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I picked it up this evening. I'll post a picture in the AM (yeah I know, it didn't happen until I post the pics, blah blah blah). A few notes...

They installed the exact part that would haven been used at the factory. However, they could not explain why the factory could not install both the hitch and running boards. According to the dealer tech, the standard rear bumper comes with an aluminum support/reinforcement that is bolted to the frame. The aluminum support is replaced with the steel tow hitch which is then bolted to the frame using the same holes the aluminum piece was utilizing.Wiring is re-threaded and the new electronics for the hitch are added and wired in. Lastly, they must re-calibrate all sensors located in the rear bumper, including the camera.

Steve
Congrats! Looking forward to pics of the job
Old 11-03-2017, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve
Having both the hitch and running boards requires you to either raise the GVWR or lower the load carrying capacity, and it seems that Audi isn’t willing to recertify the vehicle’s lower load carrying capacity. The lowered capacity is due to the additional weight of having both the steps and hitch installed on the same vehicle. There is no physical limitation which keeps both from being installed, as you found out.

On other brands the change is noted through the addition of a Memo sticker next to the DOT Conformance tag in the driver side door jamb.

I should also note that the cheapest route is to order the factory hitch as part of the new vehicle build, and then install the running boards after receiving the vehicle.

Grey
Attached Images  

Last edited by Greystoke; 11-03-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch w/ running boards