Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

trailer mode camera

Old 06-02-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts
Default trailer mode camera

so we had the first trip with our trailer and our Q7 (2018 progressive with trailer hitch). I thought (based on manual) that there is a trailer view option when backing up once trailer is hooked up but couldnt find anything like that. It still beeps once trailer is hooked up saying audi pre-sense is not active anymore because of trailer hook up or something like that.
Is there a trailer mode in backup camera?
Old 06-02-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, push selector **** to the right-scroll down to “trailer view”-click-push selector **** right to remove the black selector options.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Flying scot
Yes, push selector **** to the right-scroll down to “trailer view”-click-push selector **** right to remove the black selector options.
Went back to try it again. When hitting Parking assist the views that shows at the top are the standard ones. Then I select + to give options and I see "Trailer view" with the box unchecked. I check the box but nothing happens. I exit the Park assist and when I come back the "Trailer view" option isn't there anymore. Either I don't know the procedure to activate it or there is some bug with the system?

Last edited by MoInEd; 06-02-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
Went back to try it again. When hitting Parking assist the views that shows at the top are the standard ones. Then I select + to give options and I see "Trailer view" with the box unchecked. I check the box but nothing happens. I exit the Park assist and when I come back the "Trailer view" option isn't there anymore. Either I don't know the procedure to activate it or there is some bug with the system?
Put your car in rear gear, hit + menu on the right side of the screen and continue playing with your trailer hooking up. I don't think trailer mode is active when you're in parking or FW gear mode.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Also, you mention "trailer view option when backing up once trailer is hooked up". If I recall, the only thing that the trailer view option gives you is it changes the rear parking guide lines to a guide line that is supposed to help you align your hitch ball with the trailer tongue. So it is useful BEFORE you hook up, not so much after. Once you hook up and plug your trailer in the car's socket, the car should automatically sense that you are towing and deactivate the rear beeping noise. It also shows an additional signal in your dash when you turn on your turn signal, demonstrating that the turn signal on the trailer is working. All of that should happen automatically, but is dependent on plugging the trailer into your 7-pin socket. If those functions are not working, perhaps you have a defective socket?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I see. My expectations were different. If thats only the guide lines that changes well ghats not much then.
Yes, when hooked up there is extra signal sign in dash and it does recognize when hooked up.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MoInEd
I see. My expectations were different. If thats only the guide lines that changes well ghats not much then.
Yes, when hooked up there is extra signal sign in dash and it does recognize when hooked up.
Thanks for the help.
Actually it helps a lot. With this feature on positioning of the hitch ball exactly underneath of the receiver is fairly easy. Comes especially handy when I am up in the woods at my cabin and there is a need to unplug/plug back my boat trailer on a narrow gravel parking spot and steering trailer tong around manually is no fun at all.
Or perhaps you are talking about Audi Trailer Assistant feature? I don't think this feature is available in the US or Canada...
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...assistant-2595
Old 06-20-2020, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
Put your car in rear gear, hit + menu on the right side of the screen and continue playing with your trailer hooking up. I don't think trailer mode is active when you're in parking or FW gear mode.
Just picked up a 2019 with factory tow package. I put it in reverse as mentioned, but cannot figure out how to click the '+' sign? If I select the ] on the input, it takes me to a menu for camera options, but nothing about the trailer view appears. Does the 7-pin plug need to be installed to make this active? I have a 7-pin plug on order (Pollak, not Audi as I hear they're the same and Pollak is 1/10 the cost), so currently the cover is over the factory wiring, as it left the factory.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3Pedals6Speeds
Just picked up a 2019 with factory tow package. I put it in reverse as mentioned, but cannot figure out how to click the '+' sign? If I select the ] on the input, it takes me to a menu for camera options, but nothing about the trailer view appears. Does the 7-pin plug need to be installed to make this active? I have a 7-pin plug on order (Pollak, not Audi as I hear they're the same and Pollak is 1/10 the cost), so currently the cover is over the factory wiring, as it left the factory.
Vehicle with factory tow package installed in my mind means all ready to tow vehicle - hook up trailer and go. As I understand, yours has no wiring, but metal mechanics of a receiver only? I am not sure as I've never dealt with something like that, but I would guess that such vehicle also lacks appropriate coding done and - entirely possible - you won't see trailer view option available for your Q until programmed.

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 06-22-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The vehicle has the factory tow package (wiring included), not just the iron parts As described in this thread, in the US they don't ship with the 7-pin plug at the terminus, but do have all the wiring up to that point (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ssing-2954605/). In this pic: trailer mode camera-j1djcus.jpg you can see the wiring going back to the blank plate that comes from the factory. My wonder is, whether without the Audi (or Pollack, or other) plug yet installed, does the prevent it from thinking it has the tow package? Here is a link to the part I'm talking about (the less expensive Pollack version, which is supposedly who makes Audi's for them)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I instead need to have it coded by Audi, I guess I can do that, but it seems pretty weird that from the factory it has everything but the final 7-pin plug, and I need to go in to have the 'authorize' me to tow.

Last edited by 3Pedals6Speeds; 06-22-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trailer mode camera