Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Transmission/supercharger clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep you in the loop on my end. I'm waiting for a call back with any update from my dealership.
Let me know what you find out at your end.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Sponserv
Well, count me in. Extremely similar set of circumstances. Around 9,000 miles I had the same chirp develop. It WAS NOT there for the first 8,500 miles or so. Getting louder. I am on the road in the middle of a trip and brought the car into an Audi store in OKC for the 10,000 mile service. I needed to get the chirp figured out too.

Long story short I took the service manager for a ride. He said "yup, there's a chirp."

I too though that the chirp was torque converter, gearbox, drivetrain issue and had them check fluids, zeros, etc. They informed me that actually there are not that many zerks in the driveline.

So the service manager said he would look into it and call me back. I thought that would be the last I heard from him. lol and behold he got back to me within hours. He said no tech bullletins on the issue but he spoke to a regional Audi service rep and they think it's the supercharger clutch.

I will follow up with my local store when I get back to Florida. I guess it's an issue.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just had my wife blip the throttle while my head was under the hood. The chirp is DEFINITELY in the intake stream.

I am inclined to agree with others...sounds like what they are calling a clutch on the supercharger. I am guessing the blower has a clutch so that there is no parasitic drag on the engine when boost is not called for. As soon as you rev the engine there should be a noiseless transition to smooth boost on the blower. I am guessing this noise is the clutch slipping when trying to make this seamless transition. Or not.

I will let everyone know how I make out with the factory when I get back home in a couple weeks.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is exactly the sound. Like a hoot or chip, metal on metal.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey Guys - all of this information is helpful. Would you say these issues are greater than the benefit of having the Q7? I'm in the process of buying a Q7 but haven't locked in anything yet. Similar to you all I would be extremely frustrated if there was no fix for a clear issue..
Old 01-09-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I would opine that this supercharger clutch sound IS normal IF your supercharged 3.0T has a clutch. The 2017 Q7 is the first Audi to have a clutch on that supercharger. Obviously after a few thousand miles of wear it begins to make a noise as it engages. Whether this is the indication of a premature failure or other problem, only time will tell. The clutch is placed there to eliminate the drag of the supercharger when it is not needed. It will increase fuel mileage but it also has to increase lag between throttle application and boost and it seems only natural that there would be a detectable sound as the supercharger is engaged from a standstill.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your input Jeff. Not sure if you are an Audi rep or not but we appreciate your sharing. Do you have a 2017 Q7? Did you pay upwards of $70,000 for it? My guess would be no. Because if you did you would be just as disturbed as the rest of us are right now.

As a matter of fact I was going to get on today and give an update. I took my dealers lead service manager out for a ride in my car last week. They too said "oh its a normal noise. Come on over and we will take a new one out and you will see the noise is normal."

Lo and behold, the noise is not normal and, like others on this thread have said it consistently begins between 8-10,000 miles.

In addition, the noise coincides with a lag in power delivery and now mine is getting "jerky" from a standing start. Something we could not replicate with the new car we drove. My dealer is currently contacting Audi to figure this out.

So again, your input is appreciated, but please refrain from being like the dealers and saying this is normal. Its not. If you would like to come drive my car alongside a new one let me know.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your input Jeff. Not sure if you are an Audi rep or not but we appreciate your sharing. Do you have a 2017 Q7? Did you pay upwards of $70,000 for it? My guess would be no. Because if you did you would be just as disturbed as the rest of us are right now.

As a matter of fact I was going to get on today and give an update. I took my dealers lead service manager out for a ride in my car last week. They too said "oh its a normal noise. Come on over and we will take a new one out and you will see the noise is normal."

Lo and behold, the noise is not normal and, like others on this thread have said it consistently begins between 8-10,000 miles.

In addition, the noise coincides with a lag in power delivery and now mine is getting "jerky" from a standing start. Something we could not replicate with the new car we drove. My dealer is currently contacting Audi to figure this out.

So again, your input is appreciated, but please refrain from being like the dealers and saying this is normal. Its not. If you would like to come drive my car alongside a new one let me know.
I don't read his comment as saying it's "normal", only that the noise makes sense as to where it might be coming from. Let's try and keep this from devolving into an argument and getting personal.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Pierre

I belong to many affinity forums and I agree it is very distasteful when these issues devolve into personal attacks.

However, contrary to what you just wrote, please go back to Jeff's post and note that he emphatically states with capital letters that it IS normal.

If you took my reply as a personal attack on Jeff I am sorry. But looking at his signature line it appears he does not even own a 2017 Q7, has never heard the noise that the rest of us owners are hearing, and "opines" that this IS normal. It could be argued that his post was an attack on our veracity. No?

Joe
Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Peace :-). It's John by the way. I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend. I've no connection to Audi. Just been blessed (cursed) with being mechanical for 60 years. To clarify, what I was trying to say is that it has to be difficult to create a device (clutch) to engage a supercharger drive and bring that supercharger to operating rpm ( 10000 rpm or so) instantly when the engine is at its operating speed and to do so silently. Whether it has become more noticeable and objectionable due to wear or possibly as a result of cold temperatures, I have no idea. I did say it might be normal for these vehicles but I didn't say it was acceptable. Bears watching for sure and doccumenting it with your dealer now is certainly advisable in case it fails after warranty. As to " Do I have a 2017 Q7 that I paid $70k for?" No I don't but we do have a TDI MK1 Q7 in the midst of the diesel scandal that has lost much of its resale value as a result. I feel your pain. Good luck finding a solution. Might be as simple as Audi recalibrating the clutch engagement. Might require redesigning the clutch. Again, I have no idea :-)

Last edited by J. Patterson; 01-09-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

LOL. Sorry John. I actually work with two guys named Jeff Patterson so I guess I was just extrapolating that out to three.

I agree. I think it is a very tall task to ask a blower clutch to do its job silently and efficiently. And recalibrating the clutch has actually been mentioned by the Audi rep to the Oklahoma dealer service manager.

But when a part does not do its job as designed or has a limited mean time to failure then I believe that the company who sold me that part should find a solution.

All cars have design flaws. Any mechanical or electronic part WILL fail over time. I just feel they should be getting more than 8-10,000 miles out of these clutches. And it seems anecdotally that is the lifetime of this part. Just fix it and be done with it.

Again, the noise itself is extremely bothersome in a $70,000 luxury car. It was NOT there when new and cant be replicated in a new car. But now it is concurrent with a jerky power delivery. This I find unacceptable.

I apologize if I came back at you in an inappropriate response. I am just very frustrated.

The service manager called me 30 minutes ago and said he wanted the car back on Wednesday. I asked him what they planned on doing to it? He said the head tech that drove with me last week just wants it back. I told him fine and I will bring it in but asked if he could determine what the fix is going to be. He said he would call me back. Have not heard back. I guess I'll just bring the car in and figure it out.

Thanks again for understanding my frustrated response. Bummer about your diesel experience.

Quick Reply: Transmission/supercharger clutch noise