Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trunk Opening Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put some pads on a garage side wall to keep the doors and wall from getting dinged. I bought 1/8" styrofoam poster board and cut it down to about square foot pieces. I spray glued soft felt to one side overlapping slightly to the back. I then stuck these to the wall with small 3M tabs that have glue on both sides. The felt is soft enough to not scratch the paint on the door and the styrofoam provides a little cushioning for the wall. It's light weight and easy to replace if needed. Simple, low cost protection pad. FWIW.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I put some pads on a garage side wall to keep the doors and wall from getting dinged. I bought 1/8" styrofoam poster board and cut it down to about square foot pieces. I spray glued soft felt to one side overlapping slightly to the back. I then stuck these to the wall with small 3M tabs that have glue on both sides. The felt is soft enough to not scratch the paint on the door and the styrofoam provides a little cushioning for the wall. It's light weight and easy to replace if needed. Simple, low cost protection pad. FWIW.
I just bought foam tape from Amazon and cut the appropriate lengths and stuck them to the garage wall. No tape etc required
Old 02-23-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
I agree, great ideas! My garage too does not offer much space between the rear and garage door. Will pad it to prevent accidental openings.

To the OP's question, I have never encountered such a scenario, but the thought is always in my head when the key fob is with me.
Geez mine's outside in a porte cochere. If the hatch pops open some cat/opossum/raccoon will probably nest in it. ��

Last edited by Corgiman; 02-23-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-23-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
If the hatch pops open some cat/opossum/raccoon will probably nest in it. ��
LOL!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with the rear hatch on my 2018 Q7 spontaneously opening. It sustained damage from the garage door, and I'm not happy about it. The key fobs were inside the house where they could not be pushed accidentally. I've read that people admit to accidentally pressing the button on the fobs, but that even is a poor design of the buttons. It should never be that easy to cause damage to any car, especially these expensive Audis
Old 03-28-2018, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am waiting for my Q7 to be delivered in one month, curious to know whether this happens even if the car is locked??? Does it sound alarm?
Old 03-28-2018, 04:21 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I think this may of happened to me over the weekend. I was in the back of the house, and the Q7 was in the driveway in the front when I heard that distinctive "popping" sound when the hatch releases. I take a look and the hatch is open. About 20 mins earlier I had put the fob on the kitchen table inside so I went to go check to see if anyone had touched it.

When I went inside my wife said she moved it to the counter, but certainly didn't hold the hatch release button down.. I just chalked it up to her accidently opening it and moved on on. Now reading this it thread makes me think it did actually open on its own.. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

BTW for those of you who park in the garage and are worried about the hatch opening by itself try this.. Ever since I have read about thieves being able to pick up the fob signal and start vehicles with keyless ignitions I keep my fobs in a small tin box. Since the Q7 is parked outside in my driveway at night, this should help to block the signal from the fobs, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

So doing this may help to prevent your hatch from opening in your garages and causing damage.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rinaic
Anyone have issues with their trunk?

I've had the Q7 about two weeks and had the trunk open multiple times (at least half a dozen) without me pressing the key fob. Until last night I did have the key-fob in my pocket and assumed maybe I pressed on the button somehow. Last night the trunk opened overnight and hit the garage door .
Both key-fobs were in places where there was no pressure or chance that something was hitting on the button.
Now I have a ding on the edge of the door and plan on calling the dealership today. With this type of intermittent issue I'm worried that it will spend endless amounts of time going back and forth with no resolution.

I'm also having an issue opening and closing with the key fob. Pressing and holding works inconsistently, especially closing. Opening works most of the time, but closing does not work most of the time. When I try to close the lights will blink but nothing happens.

I did read the other threads related to both these things in the forum, but both seemed to be user error that was likely resolved by behavior / correct operating procedure.
Originally Posted by anilx783
I am waiting for my Q7 to be delivered in one month, curious to know whether this happens even if the car is locked??? Does it sound alarm?
My car was unlocked inside the garage. I didn't hear any alarms. I have a call to audi corporate/dealership to discuss the issue as my car door got wedged between the garage door panel while the garage door was going up.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Default settings (time to keep the button pressed) is very short. Also it's placement on the keyfob is far from ideal (right smack in the middle and smooth with surrounding plastic). All of these factors make for an easy accidental activation without really realizing that that's what happened. I had this happen multiple times, most of the time in the evening when taking the fob out of my pocket or moving it somewhere else, and I wish we could disable it in MMI like we can the rear button. I did the next best thing, increase the press down time to 4 sec using OBD-11. So far, no accidental openings.

Last edited by gsobol; 03-28-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I think this may of happened to me over the weekend. I was in the back of the house, and the Q7 was in the driveway in the front when I heard that distinctive "popping" sound when the hatch releases. I take a look and the hatch is open. About 20 mins earlier I had put the fob on the kitchen table inside so I went to go check to see if anyone had touched it.

When I went inside my wife said she moved it to the counter, but certainly didn't hold the hatch release button down.. I just chalked it up to her accidently opening it and moved on on. Now reading this it thread makes me think it did actually open on its own.. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

BTW for those of you who park in the garage and are worried about the hatch opening by itself try this.. Ever since I have read about thieves being able to pick up the fob signal and start vehicles with keyless ignitions I keep my fobs in a small tin box. Since the Q7 is parked outside in my driveway at night, this should help to block the signal from the fobs, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

So doing this may help to prevent your hatch from opening in your garages and causing damage.
Is it possible that this happened to a lot of people due to some solar flare or something.
I got locked out of my garage because my tailgate opened randomly. Thankfully I have a camera in my garage, and I received a motion alert, so I didn't force the door open.
I had to go downstairs at 2AM because I didn't want someone try to open the door (I had a huge scar on my X5 because of exact same issue).. I went down, used the manual garage door unlock and tried to roll it up, it wouldn't -- tail got lodged and would not let the door go up. Tried to press and hold lock button hoping it would close the tail, that didn't work either. Now I have a faint line of scrape on the edge of the tailgate, it's so annoying! I would disable the remote FOB tailgate function if I could.

Eventually I had to through my basement (door we don't use) and through mazes (and moving crap around) to get into my garage.

I even set my tailgate opening height low but it wasn't low enough obviously. I am thinking of setting it allllllll the way down so it doesn't open all the way and must be manually opened, wonder if that will work?

Last edited by hayde_bre; 03-28-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Randomly