Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trunk Opening Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dohturdima

Per post #69, it is possible apparently.
Thanks - I know it's possible, but the fix didn't specify which model year. Sent a note to Voltas IT....
Old 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Module 46 (Central Convenience) -> Adaptation (Time for opening rear lid with remote control) -> (original time 800ms) 4000ms
Old 03-23-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Module 46 (Central Convenience) -> Adaptation (Time for opening rear lid with remote control) -> (original time 800ms) 4000ms
Thanks! VERY helpful! Voltas confirms it works with 2018 Q7, and programming was dead easy. A little thrown off, because the module gave a range of 0-255 (didn't really specify what that meant), but I plugged in 4,000 and worked perfectly - thanks again! Worth it just for that one modification....
Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2018 Q7 Trunk Opening randomly

Hi, I have had this issue now 3-4 times where the truck opens automatically. Spend so much on this expensive car and such a basic issue. Due to this got a little scratch from the garage door today.

Any idea what could be the solution? I read I could pad the garage door but besides this does anyone found a permanent fix to this problem?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shiv khullar
Hi, I have had this issue now 3-4 times where the truck opens automatically. Spend so much on this expensive car and such a basic issue. Due to this got a little scratch from the garage door today.

Any idea what could be the solution? I read I could pad the garage door but besides this does anyone found a permanent fix to this problem?
I believe that would be this - OBD11. Worked for me.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
I believe that would be this - OBD11. Worked for me.
Same here, OBD11 or get your Audi dealer to program your trunk opening time. You need to read the threads above so you know what's causing this. You are (like most folks have been doing) likely accidentally pressing the button on your remote while its in your pocket.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One think has to be set clear. The hatch is NOT OPENING ON IT"S OWN !!! It sure as hell seems like it, but it's not.
I beg to differ. I've had my 2018 for six months, and I've had this happen three times. The first two times I could not be sure, but it happened again today and I'm sure. My process for parking in my garage, depositing my keys in their designated "spot," and not touching them again makes this nearly impossible. Today I came in from the gym at 8am, dropped my keys off, and later went outside (without my keys) and the hatch was not open. My wife just informed me that the hatch is now open. No one has touched those keys in the ensuing time.

It may be bad keyfob design, but that's not the only issue. I'm absolutely sure of it now.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAgain7
I beg to differ. I've had my 2018 for six months, and I've had this happen three times. The first two times I could not be sure, but it happened again today and I'm sure. My process for parking in my garage, depositing my keys in their designated "spot," and not touching them again makes this nearly impossible. Today I came in from the gym at 8am, dropped my keys off, and later went outside (without my keys) and the hatch was not open. My wife just informed me that the hatch is now open. No one has touched those keys in the ensuing time.

It may be bad keyfob design, but that's not the only issue. I'm absolutely sure of it now.
I’m curious: do you have a cat or small dog? If not, any chance of rodents in your garage? Just thinking that perhaps it’s not the key fob but the foot-motion switch that’s getting activated. There have been times where I’ve been working on something in my trunk and the motion sensor activated by mistake and started closing the trunk (ironically, since it’s sometimes hard to get it to work). For people who have this issue repeatedly, maybe try disconnecting (if possible?) or covering those sensors to see if that’s part of the issue.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiAgain7

Who's got the other key fob? No way its doing it on its own. That button is getting pressed accidentally somehow. Also if the trunk latch is not adjusted properly or sensing an obstruction, it could be falsely sensing something is in the way and is opening. After I programmed the trunk opening with OBD11, the random trunk opening stopped. If you have the My Audi app on your cell phone is also another way to trigger the trunk opening. One other possibility (almost impossible) is someone closeby with another Audi is on the same frequency.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

My tailgate opened up yesterday when I was bent down, cleaning one of the wheels. The key fob was in my pocket, so I presumed that somehow, pressure was applied to the tailgate-release button, due to me squatting by the wheel.

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Randomly