Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Turning w Turning Signal Extra Single Loud Click Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turning w Turn Signal On - Extra Single Loud Click Sound

Tonight I noticed something that I do not believe I have heard before and I am curious if I just never noticed and we all have this or if its an issue.

With the turn signal on, I hear the normal subtle turn signal sound. As soon as I start to initiate the turn I have a single loud click coming from the turn signal area in the steering column. It's happening just as I begin the turn and then two of these clicks when nearing the end of the turn. This only occurs with the signal on. If I make a turn without using the turn signal, no sounds of course, so it definitely is related to the signal mechanism.

I happen to find a video of someone with a 2017 A4 having the same sound that was wondering the same thing (is this normal?) Please have a look and let me know if anyone else out there has this as well. Thanks!!

Last edited by Meyecul; 08-20-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - yes, this sound is normal. I had it on my Q5 and other cars I believe it has something to do with the 'thingy' that resets (cancels) he turn signal - as you turn the wheel with the indicator set another 'thingy' clicks against it but because you are turning the wheel in the direction of the signal it 'just sort of clicks against the thingy' Sorry I don't know the technical terms but this is my take on the situation. Hope it explains your 'sound'.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmm. Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am nuts, but just do not recall hearing such a prominent click the moment I begin my turn. Perhaps if any additional new MKII Q7 owners would chime in that they also have this sound (as soon as you start turning the wheel), would be great. Thanks guys and gals!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Doesn't every car do this? It occurs when you turn past the point that shuts the signal off.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Doesn't every car do this? It occurs when you turn past the point that shuts the signal off.
Yes, but this is my concern. The click is immediate. In other words. Car straight, turn the turn signal on, start to turn the wheel and the first loud click is immediate. I would expect a click once reaching past the point that shuts the signal off, but not just after barely beginning the turn of the wheel. Again, maybe I am being crazy here.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Yes, but this is my concern. The click is immediate. In other words. Car straight, turn the turn signal on, start to turn the wheel and the first loud click is immediate. I would expect a click once reaching past the point that shuts the signal off, but not just after barely beginning the turn of the wheel. Again, maybe I am being crazy here.
So if you turn to the click and then back to center, the signal won't shut off?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
So if you turn to the click and then back to center, the signal won't shut off?
I double checked and yes, the signal turns off if I turn to the click and back to center, BUT this all seems to be happening very prematurely. With wheels and car straight, if my hand is at 12 o'clock and I start to turn the steering wheel, this first click happens just after I barely even get past 1 o'clock. The wheels have not even begun to turn the car.

It's my understanding in any car, once you turn the steering wheel to a certain point, the audible click is an indicator that if you return to center the signal will shut off. However, this usually does not happen until you have at least made your way into or thru the turn. For me, its happening just after I start moving the steering wheel.

I just tested on my wife's car and there is no click as soon as you start to turn, only as one would expect, after nearly completing the turn of the steering wheel.

This all came about because we were driving in a park area yesterday with a lot of traffic and turns in a tight parking lot type situation. So I was turning right, then left, then right etc, indicating each turn with my signal. My wife was like "what is all that clicking"?? It was driving her nuts.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Meyecul, did you find out what caused the sound, or did it get worse? It would be great to know what happened. I just bought a MB which has exactly the same issue. It’s annoying but not bad enough to send it back to the dealer. I am concerned if this will get worse or if I need to get it fixed.
jay