Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Underwhelmed by LED headlights

 
Old 03-03-2019, 06:49 PM
  #1  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underwhelmed by LED headlights

I'm in NYC and tonight was the first time I drove my Q7 at night while it was snowing and the ground was wet. The LED headlights were abysmal. I could barely see the road. My 20 year old sedan with HID headlights lit the road better than the Q7.

Anyone have similar experience with their Q7's LED headlights? Anyway to upgrade them/make them brighter. FYI, I have already adjusted the level so that it lights the road further as mentioned in another thread.
gscrazy is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:27 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Do you have the aux lights activated, they really help light up the sides of the road
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RJC 1 View Post
Do you have the aux lights activated, they really help light up the sides of the road
I did but it's the road in front of me that looks like it's barely lit.
gscrazy is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:36 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gscrazy View Post

I did but it's the road in front of me that looks like it's barely lit.
Maybe the brighter light of the LEDs is creating more reflection on the water/snow/ice than the HiD's?
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM
  #5  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RJC 1 View Post
Maybe the brighter light of the LEDs is creating more reflection on the water/snow/ice than the HiD's?
thanks for the reply but I don't get why there might be more reflection?
gscrazy is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 PM
  #6  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gscrazy View Post

thanks for the reply but I don't get why there might be more reflection?
the more/brighter the light, the more reflection especially from icy/snowy/wet surfaces
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:46 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RJC 1 View Post
the more/brighter the light, the more reflection especially from icy/snowy/wet surfaces
I see. I don't have an issue with the light reflecting back and causing glare though. The area that is supposed to be lit just looks like it's dark.
gscrazy is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM
  #8  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
RJC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gscrazy View Post

I see. I don't have an issue with the light reflecting back and causing glare though. The area that is supposed to be lit just looks like it's dark.
If the light is indeed being reflected, it wont illuminate properly
RJC 1 is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 03:11 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 239
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I agree with the OP that the Q7 headlights (lo beam) are too dim (drove through the same NYC snowstorm yesterday). My 11 year old G35x has HID lights that are much brighter. I still haven't done the adjustment though so don't know how much an improvement in brightness it will offer.
dohturdima is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dohturdima View Post
I agree with the OP that the Q7 headlights (lo beam) are too dim (drove through the same NYC snowstorm yesterday). My 11 year old G35x has HID lights that are much brighter. I still haven't done the adjustment though so don't know how much an improvement in brightness it will offer.
I did the adjustment and it's honestly about the same, especially for city driving.

Let me know what your experience is after the adjustment.
gscrazy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Underwhelmed by LED headlights


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: