Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Underwhelmed by LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I've shared my opinion on here many times, but these LEDs suck, and probably the most disappointing thing about the Q. I frequently drive in unlit roads, and without the high beam these are pretty bad. There are other features missing verusus a Xenon from 7 years ago, but I wont go into that. You are correct.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I've shared my opinion on here many times, but these LEDs suck, and probably the most disappointing thing about the Q. I frequently drive in unlit roads, and without the high beam these are pretty bad. There are other features missing verusus a Xenon from 7 years ago, but I wont go into that. You are correct.
it's quite disappointing. Have you brought this up with Audi corporate? I might send them an email.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gscrazy

it's quite disappointing. Have you brought this up with Audi corporate? I might send them an email.
I'm not sure they care or will do anything. It's not like they'll swap out your headlamp assemblies...that's all they got. Its just a crappy product. On the other hand, the Xenons on my BMW auto level on hills, sweep the curve as I drive and turn the wheel, and can light up the sky in high beam. I was so looking forward to LEDs, because I feel headlights are so important, but this was a let down.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure they care or will do anything. It's not like they'll swap out your headlamp assemblies...that's all they got. Its just a crappy product. On the other hand, the Xenons on my BMW auto level on hills, sweep the curve as I drive and turn the wheel, and can light up the sky in high beam. I was so looking forward to LEDs, because I feel headlights are so important, but this was a let down.
It's because Xenons are HID's and HID's are way brighter than led's.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The base lights on the Q7 are Xenon plus. Audi of America has upgraded all North American models to LED. So complaining to AoA may have some impact.

Source: Audi.de Q7
Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We find the Q's LEDs to be quite good, but we do not get snow.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.xenonpro.com/led-vs-xenon-hid-headlights-which-are-better
https://bestheadlightbulbs.com/led-vs-hid-which-is-brighter/

look at the pics leds by far brighter
Old 03-04-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

if enough people feel that this is a safety concern, especially given the IIHS Poor rating for the non-adaptive high beams that come with the Driver Assist package, there could be a chance that they TSB the LED lights or offer compensation if there's a class action law suit.

Link to IIHS rating below.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...-door-suv/2017
Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Reading this, I guess I'm happy I DONT have LED headlight in my Q7, instead the standard Xenon and I think they are as good as my other vehicle with Xenon lights.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MoInEd
Reading this, I guess I'm happy I DONT have LED headlight in my Q7, instead the standard Xenon and I think they are as good as my other vehicle with Xenon lights.
I wish we could get the virtual cockpit as a stand alone in the US without the LED headlights... Or just allow the states to have the matrix LEDs.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed by LED headlights