Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Upgrade Questions & Q7 MY19 Changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Upgrade Questions & Q7 MY19 Changes

Hello, my fellow Audi enthusiast's.
Long-term Audi fan and proud owner of 14'Q5 TDi s-line. Got a couple of questions to clarify -
1. I am planning to upgrade from my Q5 diesel to 18'Q7 Prestige. Would I miss the diesel torque?? I know I will miss the mpg - I can live with that.. 2. If I am not wrong Audi releases the order guide in the first week of April for next year's model. Does anyone have any info on any options or package changes for MY19 Q7? 3. Planning a prestige trim - Is it worth to go for the B&O compared to Boss - I have B&O in the Q5, I enjoy it - Not sure whether I should be spending $5K on the B&O compared to Boss.
Thank you very much for all your help!
Old 03-22-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont know about the diesel torque but the 3.0 is a pretty sweet engine. You should test drive one. Mpg is not bad either
I am sure a few things/packages might change, but no one knows yet
If you have B&O now, you may want it again since you are used to it. I personally would never spend $5k on a car audio based on my needs.u
Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was driving VW Toaureg TDI before Q7 3.0. The Q7 feels much more agile in low RPM range, but it looses competition to 3.0 TDI in high RPM range (and torque) - most noticeable when towing. But all in all Q7's engine is a very nice one and comes as close to TDI 3.0 as I could find in the mid-size SUV segment. Test drive will answer your question the best.
P.S. I am consistently getting up to 25-27 MPG on highway vs. 29-31 MPG showed by the Touareg TDI, so - not a bad comparison at all.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I dont know about the diesel torque but the 3.0 is a pretty sweet engine. You should test drive one. Mpg is not bad either
I am sure a few things/packages might change, but no one knows yet
If you have B&O now, you may want it again since you are used to it. I personally would never spend $5k on a car audio based on my needs.u

Thanks! Good to know mpg is not that bad in the real world... I am test driving this Saturday. In Q5 B&O was only $800 upgrade here its $5K so not sure whether I should pay that much or not. I really wanted to compare it with Bose and see what is the difference in Quality. Already asked the dealer - let's see how it goes.

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I was driving VW Toaureg TDI before Q7 3.0. The Q7 feels much more agile in low RPM range, but it looses competition to 3.0 TDI in high RPM range (and torque) - most noticeable when towing. But all in all Q7's engine is a very nice one and comes as close to TDI 3.0 as I could find in the mid-size SUV segment. Test drive will answer your question the best.
P.S. I am consistently getting up to 25-27 MPG on highway vs. 29-31 MPG showed by the Touareg TDI, so - not a bad comparison at all.
Wow! 25-27 is good! is that on the pump test (fill -drive-fill it again) or more from the display. Audi always shows high mpg in the display than in the real world
Old 03-22-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

I went from a 2012 Q7 TDI Prestige to a 2018 Q7 prestige and find the gasser is peppier and faster than the diesel was, hands down. I always felt there was a bit of a lag before the Diesel really took off, noticeable off the line at the light or when passing. The new Q7 is much more responsive. It does struggle a little bit more towing, but I've actually been impressed with how it tows a 5500lb travel trailer, even up mountain passes in Utah.
I don't get anywhere that fuel mileage, but it certainly depends on how and where you're driving. The hills in Salt Lake really kill the mileage. I'm averaging ~18mpg calculated at the pump, with a lot of city driving. 21mpg on a long trip.... and yes, the MPG displayed in the car reads ~8.5% too high in mine, which is just ridiculous!
Old 03-22-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - I was expecting more like in that range - 18-21 mpg. Good to know you are happy with the tourqe! Excited to test drive! I don’t do much towing so that is not a big deal. We live here in Nebraska and not much of hills - almost flat. That way I can expect little more mpg. The main issue here is only one Audi delear near by. Trying to negotiate with Iowa Audi before going in!! 😁 Thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anilx783
Wow! 25-27 is good! is that on the pump test (fill -drive-fill it again) or more from the display. Audi always shows high mpg in the display than in the real world
Display numbers they are. I am not doing calculations at the pump anymore. I've done them 3-4 times in different weather conditions during first 5 months of vehicle ownership. I normally do my MPG test run when driving to my cabin which is about 70-75 miles at 75 mph (mostly flat terrain), followed by 140 miles at 80+ mph (mostly flat terrain), followed by 110 miles at 60-70 mph (mostly hills, turns, etc.).Display MPG numbers and pump numbers were always no more than 0.4-0.7 MPG apart. So why bother? The variance comes from computer inaccuracy due to not ideal driving conditions - such as city stop-and-go driving, mountains driving, etc. Driving in Utah not just kills MPG, but also increases the variance between real MPG and display MPG. However,...driver is rewarded by beautiful views of mountains and valleys and all!

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 03-23-2018 at 06:06 AM. Reason: cc
Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by two dealers, no my19 order guide until June.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by anilx783
Thanks - I was expecting more like in that range - 18-21 mpg. Good to know you are happy with the tourqe! Excited to test drive! I don’t do much towing so that is not a big deal. We live here in Nebraska and not much of hills - almost flat. That way I can expect little more mpg. The main issue here is only one Audi delear near by. Trying to negotiate with Iowa Audi before going in!! 😁 Thanks for all the help!!
Just don't spend any prolonged time in NYC - 12.3mpg average.......
Old 03-23-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sambub
I was told by two dealers, no my19 order guide until June.
That's too long to wait!!! Will see how it goes.
Originally Posted by gsobol
Just don't spend any prolonged time in NYC - 12.3mpg average.......
I remember those days when I was stuck in Houston Traffic - My Q5 TDI was struggling to give 18-19 mpg. One great thing here in Omaha - No traffic!! Enjoy the ride... (While watching for the potholes.. )

Quick Reply: Upgrade Questions & Q7 MY19 Changes