AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   UTR Installation (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/utr-installation-2954167/)

BlackOptics 07-24-2018 06:56 PM

UTR Installation

Just picked up a UTR for a 2018 Q7. I'll try to post pictures as I go along. Essentially there is a body harness adapter cable which taps into power from the connectors at the rear view mirror. Then the UTR cable connects to the adapter cable. The UTR cable is then routes along the headliner, dwn the apillar (not in front of the air bag) into the footwell and then along the sill plate to the rear c-pillar and up to the rear headliner, snaked onto the left side rear hatch hinge and then eventually to the top middle of the read hatch for the rear camera.

I am not quite sure hot to remove the driver's side A-pillar and driver's side rear C-pillar. Also I would like to know how to the remove the driver's side cargo side panel. Could someone post diagrams of these items or suggest where I can purchase the appropriate manual which provides removal diagrams/instructions?

Thanks in advance.

S4Per 07-24-2018 09:19 PM

Go to Erwin.audiusa.com, sign-up for a one day subscription for $35, and download any/all docs you like. You'll find all install/removal manuals there (and more).

BlackOptics 07-26-2018 09:11 AM

I have been able to remove the following interior pieces. Cover for the rain sensor, and smaller middle section cover which hides the wire for the rear view mirror. a-pillar panel, side dash cover, a-pillar mid section cover, foot well cover for the hood release lever. Sill plate cover from front to rear, tailgate upper trim cover, and the rear upper headliner cover. Has anyone removed the following cover ? (these are the cover remaining which I haven't been able to remove yet) The interior wheels housing cover, c-pillar cover (seem like the wheels housing and c-pillar cover are one piece ) . Essentially I need access to the floor along the left rear wheel housing and be able to route the wire up the c-pillar to the roof.

Any suggestions / tips on removal would be appreciated. I'll have photos of the install posted when I finish the project.

Thanks in advanced.

RickObe 07-27-2018 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25185925)
I have been able to remove the following interior pieces. Cover for the rain sensor, and smaller middle section cover which hides the wire for the rear view mirror. a-pillar panel, side dash cover, a-pillar mid section cover, foot well cover for the hood release lever. Sill plate cover from front to rear, tailgate upper trim cover, and the rear upper headliner cover. Has anyone removed the following cover ? (these are the cover remaining which I haven't been able to remove yet) The interior wheels housing cover, c-pillar cover (seem like the wheels housing and c-pillar cover are one piece ) . Essentially I need access to the floor along the left rear wheel housing and be able to route the wire up the c-pillar to the roof.

Any suggestions / tips on removal would be appreciated. I'll have photos of the install posted when I finish the project.

Thanks in advanced.

I was able to route a wire from front to the fuse area in left rear cargo area without removing any panels. Just lifting and tucking and a bit of fishing. To get from there to the top center of the glass, I fished the wire up to the hinge area without removing the side panel. I removed the upper panel and hinge cover and ran the wire under those. See my post (#78) here for pics and details:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25064230&postcount=78

There are other pics and info from others in that thread too.

BlackOptics 07-27-2018 06:20 AM

Thanks, Great write up and install of your camera. I essentially did the same thing. Once I had the wire to the rear of the rear sill cover I ran the wire along the edges of the floor area until I reached the area under the third row seats. From there I continued to tuck the wire behind the perimeter of the panel/hatch rubber until I reach the top of the hinge. I then brought the wire along the route were the existing cable run is so it won't experience too much stress when the hatch opens and closes.

One thing though I knocked off the wire that goes to the LED cargo light on the left rear lower area (ugh). I'm not sure how I can reconnect it. I thought about making a short extension jumper because I know I can fish that through to the connector in the cargo area where there is more room to re-make the connection. Otherwise it seems impossible to reconnect the wire (yes, I popped the led light off, didn't damage it and I can put it back on with care) I'll try to remove the ride height/seat switch panel and see if I can reach the bottom of the LED light where the two-wire connector connects to the LED module.

I haven't mounted the cameras yet. I'm struggling to decide if I should place the camera on the passenger side (right side) or the driver's side (left side) of the rear view mirror. If I mount it on the passenger side then the rear view mirror will "hide" the camera and it isn't too visible from the drivers seat. If mounted on the driver's side of the rear view mirror then it is more visible from the driver seat but the lens of the camera will be in the center of the windshield, whereas if mounted on the passenger's side the camera lens will be offset about 4" from the center of the windshield. So far I am leaning towards placeing it on the drivers side. There is enough cable at the roof liner to place the camera mount on either side of the rear view mirror.

RickObe 07-27-2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25186435)
One thing though I knocked off the wire that goes to the LED cargo light on the left rear lower area (ugh). I'm not sure how I can reconnect it. I thought about making a short extension jumper because I know I can fish that through to the connector in the cargo area where there is more room to re-make the connection. Otherwise it seems impossible to reconnect the wire (yes, I popped the led light off, didn't damage it and I can put it back on with care) I'll try to remove the ride height/seat switch panel and see if I can reach the bottom of the LED light where the two-wire connector connects to the LED module.

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding about the cable to the LED cargo light. If you are able to carefully remove that light without it coming apart, then you should be able to just plug the cable back into it. If the light comes apart like mine did, then it's a royal pain to get all the parts lined up to snap it back together so that the cable socket is still functional. However, it can be done with patience.

BlackOptics 07-27-2018 08:43 AM

I popped out the LED module and its housing is still in the panel. I'm not sure how the housing comes out of the panel. If I can get the housing out of the panel then, yeah, I can bring the wire connector up the cut-out, connected back the LED module, snap it back together and hopefully pop it back in. But I'm not sure how the housing is removed from the panel. Right now the wire is unclipled from the socket and fell down into the cargo area below. There isn't any access room to just plug the cable back in. :(

dohturdima 07-27-2018 09:41 AM

Thank you for starting the thread and if you can post some pictures of your progress. I ordered the UTR some months ago (Q7 is still on order) and didn't realize it came with nothing in the box but a flimsy booklet with no install manuals. Reached out to the vendor (Audi dealer in UK) but am not expecting much.

RickObe 07-27-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25186509)
I popped out the LED module and its housing is still in the panel. I'm not sure how the housing comes out of the panel. If I can get the housing out of the panel then, yeah, I can bring the wire connector up the cut-out, connected back the LED module, snap it back together and hopefully pop it back in. But I'm not sure how the housing is removed from the panel. Right now the wire is unclipled from the socket and fell down into the cargo area below. There isn't any access room to just plug the cable back in. :(

What you're describing sounds like what happened to me... the light unit came apart when you tried to get it out. If done properly, the entire unit comes out leaving just a hole. The housing that you are describing as still being in the panel is not actually the lamp housing but rather an integral part of the lamp unit and not intended to be separated from the rest of the lamp. However, it's very easy to have the back of the lamp housing separate from the front of the lamp and remain in the hole. Sounds like this is what happened.

So now, you will need to get the back of the housing out and try to reassemble the light unit. Here's a photo of how the lamp should have been removed:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...5055619bf9.jpg

If yours did in fact come apart, now you have to get the back portion out of the hole by depressing the clip at the top per the illustration. You will find that the copper contacts that touch the circuit board of the lamp are sticking out of the cable's plug. You will need to pull that piece out. It will look like two copper prongs that go through a small 2-3mm plastic block. One pair of prongs is longer and straight, the other end is shorter and curved. The straight end ends up being the receptacle for the plug and the curved end ends up touching the circuit board of the light. Once you have the little piece out, you have to lay it down so the curved contacts touch the circuit board in the right place and then carefully re-assemble the light unit. It's tricky to get everything to line up and make good contact, but it can be done. Once it is re-assembled, you should have one solid lamp unit that the cable plug can be inserted into.

I've done my best to try to describe what it looks like. A picture would be worth a thousand words, but I'm not going to take mine apart to take photos. However, if you would post some photos of what you're seeing, I can certainly try to describe in more detail how I got mine back together if it would help.

BlackOptics 07-27-2018 10:10 AM

I will post pictures of the LED module and lower half of the light unit still in the panel. Your post is perfect and I understand what need to be done. Thank you!

BlackOptics 07-30-2018 07:14 AM

My install is completed. I was able to remove the other piece of the LED module and then resemble the pieces. I was able to fish the connector wire tot he panel cut out by doping some string through the panel cut out and down into the cargo area. I taped the connected to the string and was able to pull it out and through the panel cut out. I had to oscillate the string as the connector was coming through the panel cutout hole.

Here are some photo of the LED module dissembled

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...aa1683ae84.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...1c10620c31.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...9707c506cb.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...c2c3993e94.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...507600742b.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...a2da9cc6ee.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...6ae6ddc9e9.jpg

The release clip is difficult to depress and I would also recommend (as did RickObe) NOT to try and remove it. Run the wire as RickObe did.

dohturdima:

Here are the install instructions. Audi UTR Install Instructions:

When printing the instructions use "actual size" as there is a paper mounting template for the front camera (Not really needed, just take your time and be sure the lens of the camera will be in the center of the windshield. The camera will have to go on the LEFT side of the mirror which isn't ideal from left hand drive - but works ok. If you place the camera on the RIGHT side (to hide the UTR from the driver's view) the lens will not be in the center of the windshield.

Scroll down for the Q7.

Post any questions you may have along the way.

RickObe 07-30-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25187635)
My install is completed. I was able to remove the other piece of the LED module and then resemble the pieces. I was able to fish the connector wire tot he panel cut out by doping some string through the panel cut out and down into the cargo area. I taped the connected to the string and was able to pull it out and through the panel cut out. I had to oscillate the string as the connector was coming through the panel cutout hole..

So, were you able to get the light working again after you got it reassembled?

BlackOptics 07-30-2018 09:11 AM

Yes, I just had to assemble the pieces, fish the wire back through the panel, connected it to the LED light, and then just plop it back in.

RickObe 07-30-2018 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25187689)
Yes, I just had to assemble the pieces, fish the wire back through the panel, connected it to the LED light, and then just plop it back in.

Sounds like the your contact terminals didn't come loose from the circuit board like mine did. Lucky. That was the very difficult part to get put back together in working order.

BlackOptics 07-30-2018 12:38 PM

I think our lights are different. Mine (2018) doesn't have any contacts. The connector plugs directly onto a component on the LED circuit board. But still not so fun to put back together.

dohturdima 07-30-2018 05:40 PM

Thank you for posting the directions. I will likely pay a shop installer to do this that I used in the past - and the pictures will help tremendously

RickObe 07-30-2018 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25187814)
I think our lights are different. Mine (2018) doesn't have any contacts. The connector plugs directly onto a component on the LED circuit board. But still not so fun to put back together.

No, they're the same. But when mine came apart, the piece I circled in the image below separated from the board. That was the part that was really hard to get back in place making good contact. You were lucky yours stayed attached.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...1caa943732.jpg

BlackOptics 08-07-2018 09:18 AM

Anything that came off the pcb should probably be soldered back on. I think ? Yeah, it certainly takes some patience to get it back together.

RickObe 08-07-2018 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 25191842)
Anything that came off the pcb should probably be soldered back on. I think ? Yeah, it certainly takes some patience to get it back together.

Yeah, when mine came apart, it didn't look like those contacts had ever been soldered. They are curved on the end like they're touch contacts. Once I got it back together properly, they made solid contact. I probably should have glued the little plastic block down as that's probably what came loose. But I ended up not needing to.

shaikhmf 08-12-2018 09:22 PM

Hello
Thank you for your feedback. I have been very interested in the installation of the UTR from long time ago.

Some quick questions, after the install,

1. were you able to install the from the App store on your phone? Do you use iphone for the app?
2. which App store did you get the app from (US or other)? Does the app work (GPS) functions etc.?
3. Where did you buy your UTR and how much did you pay?

Thank you!!

shaikhmf 02-10-2019 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by shaikhmf (Post 25194738)
Hello
Thank you for your feedback. I have been very interested in the installation of the UTR from long time ago.

Some quick questions, after the install,

1. were you able to install the from the App store on your phone? Do you use iphone for the app?
2. which App store did you get the app from (US or other)? Does the app work (GPS) functions etc.?
3. Where did you buy your UTR and how much did you pay?

Thank you!!

Friendly request......Was anyone able to use Traffic Recorder in the US? I can get a set of from and Back from eBay, I still cant get it if the App of Traffice Recorder can be used in the US. Anyone's after install experience and a detailed replay would be appreciated.

dohturdima 02-11-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by shaikhmf (Post 25274593)
Friendly request......Was anyone able to use Traffic Recorder in the US? I can get a set of from and Back from eBay, I still cant get it if the App of Traffice Recorder can be used in the US. Anyone's after install experience and a detailed replay would be appreciated.

Read my post #164 in this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...935314/page17/

Yes, the Audi UTR app can be used in US but you have to create another account iOS account with a different region in order to download it/update it: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/c...phone-0176591/

shaikhmf 02-14-2019 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by dohturdima (Post 25274927)
Read my post #164 in this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...935314/page17/

Yes, the Audi UTR app can be used in US but you have to create another account iOS account with a different region in order to download it/update it: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/c...phone-0176591/

Hello
Thanks for replying to my query and referring me to the other thread link. I have a quick question here before I commit to get it from eBay.....(a UK seller is giving both front and rear units for about $500!).

- How do you get the "LIVE" view of the camera(s); does it have to do something with the AudiConnect subscription-based paid services or is it some other algorithms working here to get it?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.

dohturdima 02-14-2019 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by shaikhmf (Post 25276446)
Hello
Thanks for replying to my query and referring me to the other thread link. I have a quick question here before I commit to get it from eBay.....(a UK seller is giving both front and rear units for about $500!).

- How do you get the "LIVE" view of the camera(s); does it have to do something with the AudiConnect subscription-based paid services or is it some other algorithms working here to get it?

Thanks in advance for your quick reply.

It has nothing to do with Audi Connect - you have to connect to the wifi hotspot of the camera itself, to be able to see the images/videos live. There is no cloud storage. Unfortunately, this is where the UTR is showing its age. The newer Blackvue cams have this feature - but there is no indication of v2 of the UTR

tazmo 02-15-2019 02:27 PM

UTR Canada

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have been researching dash cam options for my 2018 Q7. I just noticed that the Audi UTR is now available in Canada. https://www.audiaccessories.ca/ The price seems high at 900 CAD for the front and back cameras and 50 CAD for Wiring Set. Not sure if that includes installation. I had a quick look at the US site and it is not offered yet. The app is also available in the Canadian iOS App store. I'm debating to install this or go with another third party cam that has more features for cheaper.

shaikhmf 02-15-2019 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tazmo (Post 25276999)
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have been researching dash cam options for my 2018 Q7. I just noticed that the Audi UTR is now available in Canada. https://www.audiaccessories.ca/ The price seems high at 900 CAD for the front and back cameras and 50 CAD for Wiring Set. Not sure if that includes installation. I had a quick look at the US site and it is not offered yet. The app is also available in the Canadian iOS App Store. I'm debating to install this or go with another third party cam that has more features for cheaper.

looks good. most probably Audi US would follow it soon. I don't think it includes any installation fee. It might be a good idea if someone can ask a local Canadian Audi dealer ask the installation charges and post here for an idea. Thanks.

Esqd 03-23-2019 04:21 AM

Install

I got my front and rear cams from a UK eBay seller ($463 total). I have no idea on how to install this system. I installed my valentine one through hard wire so I know how to access the rear view mirror harness. However, I have no clue on how to remove the A-pillar and all other necessary trims to run the cable to the rear. Also, not sure which of the plugs to use on the Q7 wiring adapter (4 plugs). Any tips are appreciated, but a link to video or a manual is even better.

dohturdima 03-23-2019 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Esqd (Post 25293126)
I got my front and rear cams from a UK eBay seller ($463 total). I have no idea on how to install this system. I installed my valentine one through hard wire so I know how to access the rear view mirror harness. However, I have no clue on how to remove the A-pillar and all other necessary trims to run the cable to the rear. Also, not sure which of the plugs to use on the Q7 wiring adapter (4 plugs). Any tips are appreciated, but a link to video or a manual is even better.

Here is the link to the installation instructions.

Esqd 03-27-2019 11:05 AM

Harness

How to tuck in the thick harness while reinstalling the main cover?

dohturdima 03-28-2019 08:24 AM

Dunno - I didn't do the install myself...

Esqd 03-28-2019 08:26 AM

Could you post a picture of where the harness wire goes into the roof liner or under the cover? TIA

dohturdima 03-28-2019 08:43 AM

Will do it tomorrow, but to my knowledge the wiring is pretty well hidden under the panels so not sure how useful it would be.

Esqd 03-28-2019 08:51 AM

Thanks! Yeah all of the wires are hidden but the main harness (thick, black cable) from the camera is partially visible. And, my problem is trying to figure out where should it be tucked in (under roof liner or somehow into the main cover)

dohturdima 03-28-2019 08:53 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...b46247f552.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...56634abd5d.jpg

Originally Posted by Esqd (Post 25295596)
Thanks! Yeah all of the wires are hidden but the main harness (thick, black cable) from the camera is partially visible. And, my problem is trying to figure out where should it be tucked in (under roof liner or somehow into the main cover)

OK, will try to take some pics of that area tomorrow;.

dohturdima 03-29-2019 01:02 PM

Uploaded pics - could not get a better view.

Esqd 03-30-2019 04:39 AM

Thanks for the pic. This is very helpful. Can you please confirm if your light gray cover was modified to make room for the thick harness to stock through it? This cover generally sticks up right to the window without any clearance so I’m confused how your harness comes out right from it.

dohturdima 03-30-2019 07:12 AM

I don't think anything was modified - at least, I don't think it was - or it's likely the installer would have mentioned it to me. Sorry can't help you there. You may want to PM the OP of this thread BlackOptics as he installed his himself and may know more about this step.