Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

UTR Installation

Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My install is completed. I was able to remove the other piece of the LED module and then resemble the pieces. I was able to fish the connector wire tot he panel cut out by doping some string through the panel cut out and down into the cargo area. I taped the connected to the string and was able to pull it out and through the panel cut out. I had to oscillate the string as the connector was coming through the panel cutout hole.

Here are some photo of the LED module dissembled

The release clip is difficult to depress and I would also recommend (as did RickObe) NOT to try and remove it. Run the wire as RickObe did.

dohturdima:

Here are the install instructions. Audi UTR Install Instructions:

When printing the instructions use "actual size" as there is a paper mounting template for the front camera (Not really needed, just take your time and be sure the lens of the camera will be in the center of the windshield. The camera will have to go on the LEFT side of the mirror which isn't ideal from left hand drive - but works ok. If you place the camera on the RIGHT side (to hide the UTR from the driver's view) the lens will not be in the center of the windshield.

Scroll down for the Q7.

Post any questions you may have along the way.

Last edited by BlackOptics; 07-30-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptics
My install is completed. I was able to remove the other piece of the LED module and then resemble the pieces. I was able to fish the connector wire tot he panel cut out by doping some string through the panel cut out and down into the cargo area. I taped the connected to the string and was able to pull it out and through the panel cut out. I had to oscillate the string as the connector was coming through the panel cutout hole..
So, were you able to get the light working again after you got it reassembled?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I just had to assemble the pieces, fish the wire back through the panel, connected it to the LED light, and then just plop it back in.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I just had to assemble the pieces, fish the wire back through the panel, connected it to the LED light, and then just plop it back in.
Sounds like the your contact terminals didn't come loose from the circuit board like mine did. Lucky. That was the very difficult part to get put back together in working order.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think our lights are different. Mine (2018) doesn't have any contacts. The connector plugs directly onto a component on the LED circuit board. But still not so fun to put back together.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Thank you for posting the directions. I will likely pay a shop installer to do this that I used in the past - and the pictures will help tremendously

Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think our lights are different. Mine (2018) doesn't have any contacts. The connector plugs directly onto a component on the LED circuit board. But still not so fun to put back together.
No, they're the same. But when mine came apart, the piece I circled in the image below separated from the board. That was the part that was really hard to get back in place making good contact. You were lucky yours stayed attached.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anything that came off the pcb should probably be soldered back on. I think ? Yeah, it certainly takes some patience to get it back together.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anything that came off the pcb should probably be soldered back on. I think ? Yeah, it certainly takes some patience to get it back together.
Yeah, when mine came apart, it didn't look like those contacts had ever been soldered. They are curved on the end like they're touch contacts. Once I got it back together properly, they made solid contact. I probably should have glued the little plastic block down as that's probably what came loose. But I ended up not needing to.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello
Thank you for your feedback. I have been very interested in the installation of the UTR from long time ago.

Some quick questions, after the install,

1. were you able to install the from the App store on your phone? Do you use iphone for the app?
2. which App store did you get the app from (US or other)? Does the app work (GPS) functions etc.?
3. Where did you buy your UTR and how much did you pay?

Thank you!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UTR Installation