Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Vibration when turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when turning

I've got a 2017 Q7 3.0 Prem plus, purchased CPO with 25k mi. I've now got 46k on it. In the last 5k mi or so, it has developed a heavy vibration, which seems to come from the rear end, and occurs primarily in low speed turns (less than 10 mph), right and left, forward and reverse. It did not have the vibration when I purchased it. My friend's 2018 Q7 doesn't have it. The recent service loaner I had did not have the vibration. When I had it into the local dealer for the fuel rail recall service, I had them take a look at it. Not surprisingly, the SA blew me off and told me they couldn't find anything. I then asked for someone to ride with me, and in less than 30 seconds they acknowledged hearing the sound. The head mechanic told me it's definitely the tires. He said there was uneven wear and "cupping" causing the vibration to be sent back through the drive train. So, I had the tires replaced at the dealer. Once again the SA told be they test drove it after replacing the tires and didn't hear anything. I immediately heard the noise when I drove it. I have it set up for another service appointment to address the problem.

Has anyone else run into this? The mechanic said the tires were the problem, but I suspect whatever is causing the vibration is causing uneven wear on the tires.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have grinding sound and vibration but 3 dillers told me its like quattro (torsen differential) system works.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by alexpilny
i have grinding sound and vibration but 3 dillers told me its like quattro (torsen differential) system works.
Oh how refined. As long as they’ve been producing Quattro, it shouldn’t be doing that at all. If none of our Grand Cherokees (with somewhat sophisticated 4x4) have never done that, an Audi definitely should not. Open a case with AoA if you’re in the US and still under warranty.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

It is the “Quattro Rumble” and fairly typical. If you change the fluid in the differentials it will go away.
The following users liked this post:
mustafa-sag (08-09-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
It is the “Quattro Rumble” and fairly typical. If you change the fluid in the differentials it will go away.
Thanks. That sounds like it. But what I'm reading seems to indicate the repair can be more involved that just changing the differential fluid. And I've got a cracking sound coming from the rear end I'm suspicious is the CV joint.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did anyone ever find a fix to this problem? I'm having the same issue on my 2017 Q7.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Brus
Did anyone ever find a fix to this problem? I'm having the same issue on my 2017 Q7.
See post 4
Old 07-27-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I took it to the dealer 6/24. They had it for an entire week before they called to tell me the rear differential fluid was an abnormal color. They checked the fluid for metal but could't find any. They're saying it was probably bad fluid. This is possible, but I'm suspicious the fluid was fine went it went in and something in the differential caused it to go bad (another possibility is the fluid was bad, and it has caused the differential to start failing). They exchanged the fluid. This did lessen the vibration, but it did not go away entirely. The vibration is still present, and it has gotten worse in the few thousand miles since the fluid exchange. In the interim my ACC has failed, so I have an appointment next week for both the bad ACC and the continuing vibration.

Last edited by RadDrew; 07-27-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2019, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RadDrew
I took it to the dealer 6/24. They had it for an entire week before they called to tell me the rear differential fluid was an abnormal color. They checked the fluid for metal but could't find any. They're saying it was probably bad fluid. This is possible, but I'm suspicious the fluid was fine went it went in and something in the differential caused it to go bad (another possibility is the fluid was bad, and it has caused the differential to start failing). They exchanged the fluid. This did lessen the vibration, but it did not go away entirely. The vibration is still present, and it has gotten worse in the few thousand miles since the fluid exchange. In the interim my ACC has failed, so I have an appointment next week for both the bad ACC and the continuing vibration.
Okay, let us know what they say.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Brus
Okay, let us know what they say.
Most likely they’ll say it’s normal

Quick Reply: Vibration when turning