Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Video: How the Power Trunk Lid Operates and Hands Free

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Video: How the Power Trunk Lid Operates and Hands Free

I was at work today and decided to show the proper motion necessary for the feature to work as well as all of the other ways to operate the trunk lid. The car must have advanced key and the ignition must be off. Your key fob is not active when the ignition is on.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice video, thanks. One note about the kick feature... if you have the trailer hitch installed, you probably don't want to kick right in the center as you will bang your angle on the hitch. Fortunately, it works fine if you kick on either side of the trailer hitch. I find that if I gently tap my toe up under the bumper, it works every time. If my foot is lower (closer to the ground) it is not as reliable.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RickObe
Nice video, thanks. One note about the kick feature... if you have the trailer hitch installed, you probably don't want to kick right in the center as you will bang your angle on the hitch. Fortunately, it works fine if you kick on either side of the trailer hitch. I find that if I gently tap my toe up under the bumper, it works every time. If my foot is lower (closer to the ground) it is not as reliable.
Correct, it will work slightly off center although not quite as reliably in my experience.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks SYMAWD - is there a way to change the behavior of the FOB or the switch in the door so that you don't have to hold down the button or pull on the switch the entire time to close the trunk? I suppose this is Audi being 'safe' with the feature so as to not have someone get hit by the trunk presumably if you're holding the switch. I've never had a car that made you do that - usually just a double tap of the fob and it would close regardless.

What happens if you let go of the fob or switch mid-close? Does it just stop or revert back to open?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mwoc
Thanks SYMAWD - is there a way to change the behavior of the FOB or the switch in the door so that you don't have to hold down the button or pull on the switch the entire time to close the trunk? I suppose this is Audi being 'safe' with the feature so as to not have someone get hit by the trunk presumably if you're holding the switch. I've never had a car that made you do that - usually just a double tap of the fob and it would close regardless.

What happens if you let go of the fob or switch mid-close? Does it just stop or revert back to open?
If you let go it just stops. No way to change it that I know of. BMWs operate the same way with their SUVs. I guess it's a German thing.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you make more!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetjock3315
Very informative.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you make more!
Anything you'd like to see?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Great Vid, how about how to set the height?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I still haven't found a good video of the traffic assist function. Would love to see it in action. Also I have the Prestige coming and would love to see the different lighting options you can do in the cabin - I know it has the color wheel but can you do different colors for different sections?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mwoc
I still haven't found a good video of the traffic assist function. Would love to see it in action. Also I have the Prestige coming and would love to see the different lighting options you can do in the cabin - I know it has the color wheel but can you do different colors for different sections?
I'll see what I can do the next time I'm at work. Might have to do it in an A4 though. Prestige Q7s sell quickly. For the colors you can set the lights that "trim" around the dash and doors and then another color for under the doors, footwells, etc. Only 2 different colors in total.

Quick Reply: Video: How the Power Trunk Lid Operates and Hands Free