Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Virtual Cockpit Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If its of any comfort, I have had my Q7 a little over a year, just hit 13k miles and this has never happened. It may just be a random little software bug that caused it.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

i have something similar happen to my A4. Copied my post from the A4 B9 forum onto here. Happened to me thrice already.

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
My MMI has never gotten stuck/froze. But I’ve had another issue and I’m not sure if anybody else had it.

A few thousand miles/couple of months ago, I was driving down the highway when suddenly the speedometer and stuff on my VC disappeared and the entire VC had the map (navigation) on it (It was set to normal view where the speedo and tacho was full sized and it was on the first general info tab; during the crash everything on the VC disappeared except for the map which looked like it was “beneath” the screen which showed the tacho, speedo and other details. I’m not a techy person so I don’t know the exact term. Underlay?). After a second or two the entire VC went blank. All the backlights on the center console went off too I think. And then a few seconds later the red door lights lit up, the VC started coming back on slowly (the tacho and speedo appeared but no needles or numbers, just the rings. Also all the dashboard warning lights were on). The warning lights disappeared and everything went back to normal as though nothing happened. The MMI screen was working normal and music was playing from my wife’s iPhone without any interruption. I pulled over and scanned using obd and found a lot of errors saying a lot of modules had crashed or something of that sort (lemme check if I have screenshots of the errors). I cleared the errors since everything appeared fine. Car drove normally during this “reset”. I thought it was a weird glitch but didn’t think too much of it and hoped that was the first and last time it happened.

A few days back the exact same thing happened again. The entire shutdown-restart took around 10 seconds. This time I didn’t scan the car. I’m sure the errors are still present. I just haven’t found time to take it to the dealer yet.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?
So this thing happened for the third time today. Like maybe 100 miles of driving after the previous incidence. Now it is beginning to worry me slightly. Does anybody have any idea why this could be happening?
im guessing I should take it but time constraints and the nearest dealer is like 1.5 hrs away prevent me from doing that. Also I read somewhere that error codes get cleared automatically after a few days. It’s already been three days since the last episode and I’m scared there won’t be error codes and my dealer won’t believe me.
have any of you who had the issue got any answers if you took your car in?
Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Has happened on my BMW a few times - it's a computer. My Windows 10 desktop behaves badly occasionally too....
Old 03-27-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are you reviving 6 month old inactive threads? One is plenty. Two revivals on the same topic is kinda ridiculous.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Why are you reviving 6 month old inactive threads? One is plenty. Two revivals on the same topic is kinda ridiculous.
Becuase I believe they were started by different people and wanted to get answers from either OP IF they read it.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A5 SportBack

After owning the car for 3 months, I started the car one morning and Cockpit was black...no instrumentation panel, drove it for 4 miles never rebooted. I tried messing around with all the buttons but to no avail. When i got to my destination, I had to turn off the ignition, get out of the Car, lock the car, unlock it, restart and I got my virtual instrumentation panel back.

Have had problems also with Rear View Camera no coming on, or rear view screen totally black.

Problems with Sudden HARD braking while back up with nothing around to engage sensors...

Too many computer/processes for one Chip!
Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rorlando618
After owning the car for 3 months, I started the car one morning and Cockpit was black...no instrumentation panel, drove it for 4 miles never rebooted. I tried messing around with all the buttons but to no avail. When i got to my destination, I had to turn off the ignition, get out of the Car, lock the car, unlock it, restart and I got my virtual instrumentation panel back.

Have had problems also with Rear View Camera no coming on, or rear view screen totally black.

Problems with Sudden HARD braking while back up with nothing around to engage sensors...

Too many computer/processes for one Chip!
Welcome to Audi.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rorlando618
After owning the car for 3 months, I started the car one morning and Cockpit was black...no instrumentation panel, drove it for 4 miles never rebooted. I tried messing around with all the buttons but to no avail. When i got to my destination, I had to turn off the ignition, get out of the Car, lock the car, unlock it, restart and I got my virtual instrumentation panel back.p!
Not that you should have to do it, but for future reference: MMI Reset: While holding Radio and Nav levers forward, press down on the center ****.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jallen0
Well it happened to me today fi=or the first time. My virtual cockpit completely went black and rebooted itself while I was driving. I was driving on a side street so I did not have lane assist or cruise control on so I do not know if they were affected. The reboot lasted less than 10 seconds and then it came back up but since a few others on this site have had this issue I thought I would start a thread on it and see if it's happening to others.

Honestly not quite sure what to do next. Pretty sure the dealer cannot reproduce this issue on command.
im having the same issues. It happened to me about 5 times in a month. Dealer did not resolve the issue. Back to the dealer AGAIN 🤬
Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Song title is hilarious in this context.

Quick Reply: Virtual Cockpit Issues