Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Voice Recognition is horrible 2017 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice Recognition is horrible 2017 Q7

I have been through the voice learning mode several times. It is comical how wrong the MMI tries to decipher what I have said. I have yet to be able to enter a navigation destination via voice commands. I have excellent elocution. Is anyone else able to talk to MMI and have it recognize what you are saying? This is just one of my many "issues" with my Audi but clearly the most annoying.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is awful. I send locations via the MMI app. Otherwise I'd use Siri which does a very good job.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
It is awful. I send locations via the MMI app. Otherwise I'd use Siri which does a very good job.

Yes I use Siri and Apple Car Play. The MMI app is a good workaround but hard to do on the fly.

Still, I am disappointed with the performance of the factory interface; it should at least work in a high-end vehicle like this. My wife's Tesla is flawless when we enter voice commands.

Oh, and how about having to pony up $$$$$ for the map overlays
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I have no experience with a Q7 in particular, but I've never had issues with voice recognition in my own car and several newer loaners with the latest MMI. One common issue is if you have the center vents point at the ceiling, the airflow will interfer with the microphone.

Speaking of Siri and Apple Car Play, I watched this real world comparison by these two guys yesterday. Pretty funny how bad Siri is.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It works 100% of the time for me and I always have it work with customers as well. It is important that you are saying the commands correctly.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same for me. Voice commands are excellent but you do need to spend a little bit of time reading the manual to ensure you know how to phrase the commands in the best way.

I did have an issue on delivery where it was hopeless and the dealer had to replace the microphones.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had good luck verbalizing addresses. (near 100%) - "navigate to 123 Main st"

I've had terrible luck naming a point of interest. (near 0%) "navigate to McDonalds"
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I've had good luck verbalizing addresses. (near 100%) - "navigate to 123 Main st"

I've had terrible luck naming a point of interest. (near 0%) "navigate to McDonalds"
If you are navigating to a destination (common place / attraction) rather than a specific address, you are better off using:

"Online Destination McDonalds"

I find this works much better and presents a list of McDonalds with an arrow and distance to choose from.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok I'll try that I assumed there was some occult knowledge (or part of the manual I've not yet read) to make it work, because it shouldn't be so hard.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone

That's because the local POI database is severley outdated. Has been for a decade. As said above, for POI searches use Google for a much more up to date database. You can say Online Destination ... or also Google search ...., like Google search find McDonalds near me, or Google search find McDonalds in New York, etc. You can pretty much say anything Google understands and that results in a location.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition is horrible 2017 Q7