Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Volvo XC90 Vs Q7

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Volvo XC90 Vs Q7

While I'm waiting for my Q7 P+ to be delivered in early June I just stumbled upon an irresistible deal on a used Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription (with ALL the bells and whistles volvo has to offer) that's got merely 2k miles on it from a BMW dealer. Building the exact same spec on volvo site shows $72k while the dealer has agreed to sell it to me for $58k which for me is quite tempting!! Also the color combination on XC90 is what I would have preferred. Humbly request your honest opinions about what I should be doing...wait for my Q7 P+ until June (I am in no rush actually) or go with the XC90? I am quite sure the Q7 ride experience is matchless but what the heck...I am literally saving ~11-12k on almost a brand new luxury SUV if I go with the XC90! Appreciate your opinions and hope I make the right decision end of the day!

Q7 P+ - Ink blue, Nougat brown, DAP, Warm Weather
2017 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription - Magic blue, Blond leather, Luxury pkg which includes massaging front seats and HUD, Bowers and Wilkins 19 speakers, Vision pkg, Convenience pkg (similar to DAP on Audi)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you comparing the 3.0T to Volvo's "T6?" Have you driven both? You couldn't give me an XC90 after driving both back to back. Sure may be world's greatest-tech engine, however I felt like it was WAY too busy for a vehicle that size.

-John
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I was at the NY Auto Show last Saturday. I brought a tape measure to understand the cargo space available in the two vehicles. I found that the cargo space measured in the rear is 44" wide in the XC90 versus 46" in the Q7. My overall impression was that there wasn't alot of utility in the XC90. I did like the ipad built into the console though. The Q7 was better in utility, but the new VW Atlas is even better. It has 5 more inches cargo length than the Q7.

That's my take.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Assuming you could live with the ride quality and engine in the xc90, it's worth looking at the manufacturing year and checking the forums to see what issues are common for that build. Might be a reason it's a good deal.

Interestingly in the UK, all the reviews back in late 2015 / early 2016 had the xc90 winning all the awards with Q7 coming a close second. In recent awards, Q7 coming out on top ahead of the new Discovery with the xc90 sliding down the rankings.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure most of agree that the Q7 is a far superior vehicle... however, with that being said, how much is the Q7? Let's say your Q7 is $78K for the heck of this comparison, I would go with the XC90 and save $20K, just my opinion... if money was no object then of course, take the Q7 but I don't think the Q7 is $20K better than the XC90 .. just saying.. and yes I chose the Q7 over the XC90 when I was looking and doing some comparison but there was no $20K gap either
Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volvo XC90 has had horrible reliability while the Q7 has been very good. And the Q7 is a better overall vehicle.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be real concerned as to why somebody took a huge hit on a brand new car and traded it in, would make me real nervous as to why it was gotten rid of so quickly.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
Are you comparing the 3.0T to Volvo's "T6?" Have you driven both? You couldn't give me an XC90 after driving both back to back. Sure may be world's greatest-tech engine, however I felt like it was WAY too busy for a vehicle that size.

-John
Sorry, I should have been clearer...the Q7 I ordered is a 2.0 P+ (so is the XC90 T6) and yes I have test driven both, not back to back though. I have to agree with you though the XC90 has a 315 HP, I somehow liked the Audi ride better! However, I am more into the amenities than the ride quality given that XC90 is also a great engine.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I'd be real concerned as to why somebody took a huge hit on a brand new car and traded it in, would make me real nervous as to why it was gotten rid of so quickly.
I had this exact question too but someone was so generous to trade-in the new XC90 for a 6 series beemer as he already owned a fleet of BMWs according to the BMW sales person...also the carfax checks out clean and the vehicle looks pristine with only 2.2k miles.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
The Volvo XC90 has had horrible reliability while the Q7 has been very good. And the Q7 is a better overall vehicle.
Interesting...would you mind pointing me to any website that talks more about this please? Reliability definitely is not to be overlooked while making my decision.

Quick Reply: Volvo XC90 Vs Q7