Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Volvo XC90 Vs Q7

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I initially was going to get an XC90. Have researched and driven both intensively and have had 4 volvos. While it's mostly a personal thing I think the Volvo looks better especially the R-design version that I was looking at. My plan was to add the Polestar upgrade to get more power from the engine. So about the engine, put simply not as smooth as the Q7. Sounds coarse and unrefined for an expensive vehicle. Love everything else though. What finally swayed me was the reliability. Look in consumer reports as someone mentioned above. I also looked in their forums/message boards.... lots of problems with software glitches and such. While the dealer said this has been all ironed out with software updates I ultimately went for the more reliable vehicle.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to pass the XC90 deal and wait for my Q7...thanks to everyone for the overwhelming responses which definitely made my decision easier! Glad I posted my dilemma on this forum...your knowledge and speed of information sharing is amazing!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sound decision.

I considered the XC90 and test drove one. Like others here I found the engine coarse and not in character for a luxury vehicle. I found the Sensus system maddening. I prefer physical buttons, much less distracting while driving. Sensus basically requires you to take your eyes off the road to do anything. Reliability woes on the Volvo forums were worrisome.

Consumer Reports and Car and Driver give the Q7 top marks. That doesn't happen all that often.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Now go on the XC90 forum and ask the same question.
Get opinions from both sides.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ yeah was about to say... I would imagine the opinions here may be a bit biased towards the Q7
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thought experiment...let me actually do that and gauge what Volvo aficionados had to say...will keep you all posted what I find.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MyLuv4Audi
I think I am going to pass the XC90 deal and wait for my Q7...thanks to everyone for the overwhelming responses which definitely made my decision easier! Glad I posted my dilemma on this forum...your knowledge and speed of information sharing is amazing!
"never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut" :-).
Old 04-22-2017, 03:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Reliability

I was in the same position, after literally a few minutes of looking at the Volvo is her forums look at how many threads there are on the reliability issues on the XC 90. There's a huge spike of users who have had to have their cars in the shop for several weeks. Same thing on YouTube reviews. It's just hard to imagine such an expensive car having so many little issues. And because so much of the car is computer controlled and electronic when the computer goes down, the car will not start etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVA2015
"never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut" :-).
This may sound trivial to some, but I use the ventilated seat option quite often and the XC90 sounded like there was a vacuum cleaner in the back set. Really, almost that loud.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
Now go on the XC90 forum and ask the same question.
Get opinions from both sides.
I'm on Swedspeed... took a 6000 mile roadtrip in a new XC90. Looks great, drives great, full of gremlins. Left my wife and kids stranded. Once. That's all it takes.

Mine is up for sale, deposit down on a Q7 Silver, Ti Black Optics.

Looking forward to better towing too...

Quick Reply: Volvo XC90 Vs Q7