Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

WARNING - 2017/18 Q7 Buyers!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING - 2017/18 Q7 Buyers!!

Do not take delivery of your new car until you have confirmed that the car does not have the dreaded SOS Malfunction. Apparently Audi is having a flood of issues with the Q7 and is allowing the cars to be delivered with a "fix it later" position. The problem is that they do not have sufficient repair kits to address all of the affected cars.

Make sure that prior to taking delivery you drive the car with the SOS system booted up and working to confirm that the car does not have this issue. If it does be prepared to spend weeks or a month driving a $70,000 car that beeps every 30 seconds while you drive. Had I known this I would have never taken delivery of our car. Audi should be ashamed of this issue. This is our first new Audi and I have been nothing but disappointed.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

How does one know if the SOS system is not "booted up"? When I took delivery of mine, I had no clue about the SOS being booted or not. Are you suggesting that Audi turned off the SOS system during delivery to hide it from you?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No, what happens is that they do not turn on the SOS system until after you purchase the car. They program the SOS with your personal information. I suggest that you make purchase of the car contingent upon demonstration that SOS system is functional after programming. I do not think that the dealers have any idea which vehicles are affected but I hardly think it is fair for the new buyer to take delivery of a malfunctioning vehicle then have top spend weeks or months getting corrected.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Brett826
No, what happens is that they do not turn on the SOS system until after you purchase the car. They program the SOS with your personal information. I suggest that you make purchase of the car contingent upon demonstration that SOS system is functional after programming. I do not think that the dealers have any idea which vehicles are affected but I hardly think it is fair for the new buyer to take delivery of a malfunctioning vehicle then have top spend weeks or months getting corrected.
If they did what you are suggesting to me, I would be at my lawyers office right now having him/her draft up a letter to Audi USA. I think that would be illegal to turn off the car's safety system in order to hide a defect
Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You are misunderstanding my post. As a procedural measure they do not program the SOS until after buy the car, otherwise they would be turning it on for every test drive. What I am saying is that there is a problem here and if I were to do this purchase over again I would demand they program the SOS system to ensure that the problem is not present in my new vehicle. I would make the purchase contingent upon demonstration that the system functions without fault before taking final delivery. If the fault appears then give me another vehicle.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And I am an attorney, and I did not buy a new vehicle to end up in litigation. Audi has a problem and they need to step up and address it. They should not make the buyers be the ones to have to take time out of their lives to bring their brand new cars back to the dealership and sit for 3-4 hours, assuming that the dealer can even lay his hands on the required parts to make the repair.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No way would I delay my delivery. If I have a problem, I would just ask them to fix it. My dealer would even send someone to my house to fix that. I could always give them less than a 10 on the Audi survey if they didn't fix it.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am sorry OP but I'm trying to understand the problem. The SOS system should always be on, no? Are they turning on the SOS system, or simply adding your information to it? I am going to assume that the SOS system is always on, regardless of information in it. i could be wrong...
Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No, the system is not on until the buyer consumates the deal. After the car is purchased then the SOS system is activated and the problem surfaces.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well, that sucks. How many are impacted by this?

Quick Reply: WARNING - 2017/18 Q7 Buyers!!