Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.

I stopped into a nearby Audi/Porsche dealer to take another look at the new Q7. I had to search for a single parking spot, back in the service parking area. There were new cars jammed on every road, sidewalk and the entire front lawn. They are in the process of building two new, huge, separate Audi and Porsche dealerships that are not done yet.

While looking at the Q7, I was asked "would you consider a Cayenne?" Apparently they have too many on the lot. I have driven the base model and that 3.6 is no fun. Would need to move up to the Cayenne S, which has a turbo V6 with 420 HP. They did make it interesting...showed me a Cayenne S with a sticker of $81K, willing to sell it for $72K, which is the same cost as the Q7 I would order.

But in the end, the new Q7 just feels more modern, interior is nicer and technology is newer. And if I put all the options that come with the $72K Q7 Prestige into the Cayenne S, it would cost $94K.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Cayenne is to be unveiled next year as a 2018 model. That's why they want to get rid of the current ones. I currently drive a Macan S and it is way more superior than the Cayenne as I've been given the Cayenne for when my Macan is in service. The base Cayenne just feels heavy and drives like a truck. On the other hand, if you drive the Cayenne turbo then that's really something else.
I've also test driven the Q7 and it is way better all around. The only thing it's missing is a V8. Hopefully next year we can get it in the SQ7.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche - Buttons...buttons...buttons everywhere... It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the rehash.

Grey
Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Porsche - Buttons...buttons...buttons everywhere... It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the rehash.

Grey
I would take those buttons any day than the stupid touch screen controls.Acura fans complained about buttons in the previous MDX which was a good vehicle other wise .Then Acura gave them a POS infotainment system with touch controls which is a pain to tolerate even during a test drive.The thing with touch screen controls is that it has to be done very very well to be acceptable and safe during driving.Its one reason I am staying away from XC90 apart from its engine.Its a beautifully done center stack but you have to take your eyes off the road for quite some time to get what you want while you are driving.

If you don't need the 3rd row seat/cargo space the Q 7 provides,there are better alternatives.Cayenne is a better built vehicle and the base cayenne isn't any good.Get a GTS .We seriously considered the diesel but we need more cargo space.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

If you do your own maintenance, the Porsche is good choice. Otherwise get ready for some pricey service visits.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
Cayenne is a better built vehicle
Based on what?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystoke

Grey
I don't think the buttons are going anywhere. I saw pictures of the redesigned Panamera interior and all those damn buttons are still there. At least they fixed the exterior.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AALSA
The new Cayenne is to be unveiled next year as a 2018 model. That's why they want to get rid of the current ones. I currently drive a Macan S and it is way more superior than the Cayenne as I've been given the Cayenne for when my Macan is in service. The base Cayenne just feels heavy and drives like a truck. On the other hand, if you drive the Cayenne turbo then that's really something else.
I've also test driven the Q7 and it is way better all around. The only thing it's missing is a V8. Hopefully next year we can get it in the SQ7.
This is wierd, as the Macan is based on the Q5, even older technology than the Cayenne. It seems that all Audi technology (engines,chassis,parts) is used in Porsches, so in Audi you actually pay for innovation, in Porsche SUVs you now pay for an Audi + Porsche badge. I had several Porsches, but it seems the 911 is the only real true Porsche anymore. Sadly VAG killed the marque.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kip1
This is wierd, as the Macan is based on the Q5, even older technology than the Cayenne. It seems that all Audi technology (engines,chassis,parts) is used in Porsches, so in Audi you actually pay for innovation, in Porsche SUVs you now pay for an Audi + Porsche badge. I had several Porsches, but it seems the 911 is the only real true Porsche anymore. Sadly VAG killed the marque.
Agreed. The Macan is based on the current Q5's MLB platform that first came out in 2007 via the A5. So it's an "old" platform that was merely revamped by Porsche by adding some of their suspension wizardry and dropped their own engines in there to make it feel both sportier and handle better than a Q5, which is what they're excellent at doing. I've driven quite a few Macans and Cayennes, and personally don't believe that the Macan chassis is superior at all, especially not when compared to the Cayenne GTS and Turbo versions. The Macan is certainly lighter with a shorter wheelbase so it will naturally have the expected advantages AND disadvantages when compared to the heavier and longer wheelbase of the Cayenne/Touareg platform.

The Q7 is certainly leading the way along with the new A4 and the Bentley Bentayga as the first products to use the newest MLB Evo platform, which eventually will also underpin the next-gen A8 and eventually many other VAG products including the next-gen Cayenne and next-gen Q5 due next year or so.

So in a way, we really are "previewing" the future of many VAG cars through the 4M Q7's MLB Evo platform.

Or some might say, the new Q7 is like buying a "poor man's Bentley Bentayga" lol (that actually looks way better than the Bentayga)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I went into the Audi & Porsche dealers while my BMW was in service next door.

The Audi dealer had the new Q7 I loved the upgraded interior but did not like the suspension / ride on the test drive. Too soft and disconnected. It was the standard non air suspension model.

Then I went to the Porsche dealer and hated the base Cayenne - gutless with the naturally aspirated engine. The Turbo was much better but still felt like a SUV.
The Macan felt more like a CUV and handled much more like a 911!
Very grippy, connected drive and much better at handling curves...

Now thinking of getting that new Macan 2.0L 4 cylinder coming out in 3 months...

Quick Reply: Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.