Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
Thank you! Finally someone else who is not all in love with touch screens! I don't get the fascination with those. In my opinion they are a lot more distraction and need a lot more hand-eye coordination. Audi's system is another reason why I'm sticking with the brand. I don't even have to look to perform many of the operations, since I keep my right hand on the shifter all the time (I know it's not the safest) and the buttons are within reach. Not to mention the smudges on touch screens, which absolutely drive me nuts.
Yes the fingerprintd are horrible, I carry around a a separate microfiber cloth to wipe them down.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:30 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alex904
I strongly disagree that Macan has sportier ride than SQ5. They feel pretty much the same. Especially when you drive them one after another. Two reasons why I'd consider Macan over SQ5 (if money factor is not important): Porsche's design is more aggressive (and less practical though, smaller cargo area) and 50 extra HP you can get from it. Otherwise, both cars are pretty similar.
My Macan turbo with steel springs and 21" wheels in sport plus blows away the SQ5. The additional 50 hp reduces 0-60 by over 1 second. That is definitely a noticible difference. The SQ5 is really nice but not the same as the Macan
Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbr
My Macan turbo with steel springs and 21" wheels in sport plus blows away the SQ5. The additional 50 hp reduces 0-60 by over 1 second. That is definitely a noticible difference. The SQ5 is really nice but not the same as the Macan
As I said before, if you really need extra 50hp and plan on participating in drag races in 4400lb SUV category and don't mind to spend 20K more, why not? As for blowing out of water... Specs say that SQ5 goes to 60mph in 5.2sec, Macan Turbo - 4.6sec. How did you get it "over 1 sec"? Nobody argues that Macan is faster. Bwut handling wise both cars are practically the same.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

As I said before, if you really need extra 50hp and plan on participating in drag races in 4400lb SUV category and don't mind to spend 20K more, why not? As for blowing out of water... Specs say that SQ5 goes to 60mph in 5.2sec, Macan Turbo - 4.6sec. How did you get it "over 1 sec"? Nobody argues that Macan is faster. Bwut handling wise both cars are practically the same.
Well he does own a Macan Turbo... so obviously he will be very biased.

My wife drives an SQ5 and my sister has a Macan Turbo. I drive them both quite regularly. I agree, the Macan Turbo is fast but handling-wise, it does not "blow the SQ5 out of the water" lol. They're basically the same car in my book. Macan corners flatter but SQ5 soaks up potholes better. I think "blowing it out of the water" is just the Porsche badge talking loudly to its owner to justify the $20k+ premium.

Anyhow, let's not get too off topic here... not sure how this turned into an SQ5 vs Macan Turbo discussion all of a sudden
Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
Anyhow, let's not get too off topic here... not sure how this turned into an SQ5 vs Macan Turbo discussion all of a sudden
True, my original topic was the dilemma of a new Q7 Prestige at nearly full sticker price vs. a Cayenne S with a $9K discount. Then today I saw a used 2014 Cayenne Turbo with 30K miles at the nearby Land Rover dealer and of course the asking price was $74K, so you can add that to the choices available at around the same price.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:07 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
True, my original topic was the dilemma of a new Q7 Prestige at nearly full sticker price vs. a Cayenne S with a $9K discount. Then today I saw a used 2014 Cayenne Turbo with 30K miles at the nearby Land Rover dealer and of course the asking price was $74K, so you can add that to the choices available at around the same price.
If you need a 3rd row, want state of the art technology and want a very luxurious ride, the Q7 is undoubtably the choice. If you don't need the 3rd row and extra cargo room, are ok without cutting edge tech and don't mind have one of the last model years of current model, but a sportier ride, the Cayenne S is a great choice. Both are really great suv's but really are for different owner needs.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 PM
LMR
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
When we started talking about replacing my X5d with sport package, the Cayenne was at the top of my list (my husband had just purchased a new Macan Turbo. I loved the drive, but it was too small for me, as I had the designatd "hauler") The cargo capcacity was smaller than the X5 I was driving. It also does not have a third row option, which we determined we still needed. With the need of more cargo and a third row, we ruled out the Cayenne. When we went to Audi, the dealer informed us of the major redesign and asked if we could wait until it came out. We were in no hurry to replace, so we waited 18 months. I did pre-order in December, so I knew I would have one if I liked it. All I can say is, I am so glad I waited almost two years for the car. I have had my Prestige for almost for three weeks and enjoy the drive more every day. We have used the third row (my 5'7" son was able to fit back there comfortably) and all of his baseball gear fits in the trunk with room to spare. It has the standard steel springs and 21" wheels. I can "feel" the road better with that combo and it corners great with the 21's. The interior is not complicated and very well appointed. If it is cargo capacity and third row you are looking for, the Q7 is a great choice. But they really are two completely different cars and probably should not be compared.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are you sure? I'm asking, because air suspension is noticeably softer for all settings and "disconnected" comparing to standard springs. Plus air suspension has pronounced body roll.

Macan and Cayenne are awesome cars. To all points mentioned to other posters, I'd add one more 1c. Traveling around the world and here in US, I noticed one thing... Porsche SUV's became cars of choice for women, while Audi's are more gender neutral. My wife hated SQ5 and Macan because of harsh ride. That's why we got Q7 eventually. :P I strongly disagree that Macan has sportier ride than SQ5. They feel pretty much the same. Especially when you drive them one after another. Two reasons why I'd consider Macan over SQ5 (if money factor is not important): Porsche's design is more aggressive (and less practical though, smaller cargo area) and 50 extra HP you can get from it. Otherwise, both cars are pretty similar.
The new Q7 rides more like the current Q5 - soft and disconnected when compared to the Porsche Macan. The Macan does not seem to feel like anything close to the Q5 platform.

I will be waiting for the new Macan 2.0L 4 cylinder 257HP and compare it to the 2.0L Q5....
Old 04-29-2016, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
The new Q7 rides more like the current Q5 - soft and disconnected when compared to the Porsche Macan. The Macan does not seem to feel like anything close to the Q5 platform.

I will be waiting for the new Macan 2.0L 4 cylinder 257HP and compare it to the 2.0L Q5....
I think we agreed to stop talking about Macan in this topic. :P Anyway, consensus was that most people find Macan and SQ5 exactly the same handling wise. Of course, you're entitled to have your own opinion. Comparing Q7 to Macan is just nonsense. Sorry.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am in the same boat as OP but also looking at the Mercedes 450 GLS. After doing the research and spending some time here in the forums I am leaning toward the Q7 but this will be Mrs. B's car and she really wants the Mercedes because "all the PTA moms drive them in this area" (yes we are fortunate to be in a pretty affluent community where every 20th car is a Tesla... but I digress).

Anyway I am hoping the test drive will convince her to go with Audi - I gather we should go with the "air suspension"

Quick Reply: Went shopping for the new Q7 and considered buying a Cayenne.