Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Why did you buy your Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

While shopping for a 3-row luxury crossover, the Q7 was way ahead of the competition (BMW X5, MB GL and Acura MDX). It was hard to find a department (luxury, comfort, tech, driver's assistance and safety) in which the Q7 lagged. Maybe its not as nimble as a X5 but who takes their SUV for a drag race? In the end, the tech was major factor for me.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Because I wanted a new one.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For us it was the overall package (technology, performance, style) and the fact that my 3 teenagers fit comfortably in the 2nd row. Not a problem with my daughter, but the boys are 6’2” and 6’6” and built like linebackers. 4+ hour road trips without complaints = priceless.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
I can’t believe how many people are mentioning CR. I for one could care less what they think about anything.

Q7 has had an edge on competition but with the releases of the new X5 this month and GLE this year that’s changing.
You may take issue with how they test their cars and some of the things they key into in the testing, but for me their frequency of repair ratings are important, and the fact that they don't accept advertising and buy the cars retail.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

For me the technology, the interior, needed the space for the 4 kids and I'm an Audi fanboy. Almost went with a CPO 2012 Cayenne turbo.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consumer Reports give it high marks, as did most other popular car magazines. The aesthetics of the car were great too, coming from an 03 GX 470. it is definitely the priciest car in the segment when options are added, even more than the GLE or X5, but I knew both of those cars were seeing refreshes soon and they also didn't feel as good to sit in as the Q7. Granted, I never sat in an example of MB or BMW that had had the premium leather upgrade (Nappa, Merino, whatever) but the bigger issue for me was the impending refresh of the MB and BMW models and needing a car almost-immediately, nearly a year ago, as the Lexus was on its last legs. The current GX is nice but that felt like a mammoth to handle.

We had a very crap experience with our local Audi dealership in 97 where we bought a used 94 100S wagon. Nothing but issues and the dealership only stuck the knife in deeper. We moved on to Lexus, BMW, and MB before slowly coming around over 20 years later. I can't say we regret the Q7 purchase as it's been a great car for us. The features are there, though like I said earlier, the price is a bit steep. And we lacked the $7.5k in total options of the Bang sound system and Night vision and it was still an $82k car MSRP. Discount was just a few thousand less, which I could barely consider "standard" but the cars optioned the way we wanted were not common in the Midwest and we saw 3 go from under us in about a month of inquiries in our area. So we bit.

What keeps me smiling and happy in it? I love the air suspension. I don't mess with the settings to raise or lower or put in to Sport, I just keep it in comfort, and it's fine. It's similar in sound and ride to our W222 S550. Not the same, but it's close for something this size and weight and height. The drive is incredible, enough power and efficiency if you're being smart about it. Many cars have Android Auto and Apple Car but it was still the first car we bought with it, so that may give it some bias. It's an incredible feature to have for nav and phone calls and weather updates, etc.

It's just a great car. I just hope I don't have the issues I read from some users on here. The major ones, at least. I'd hate for the air suspension to die out of warranty, like our GX's did. But the GX lost its air suspension well over 7 years after purchase and probably 100k, or close to it. That I can deal with.

One more pro is the panoramic roof. That feature isn't new to use either (MB did it) but it's quite different for those in the rear seat. They seem to appreciate it more in the Q than in the S550.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Towing capability for the price, that is not a pickup.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an Allroad that was a great car. Traded up to a Q7. I feel like I’m a beta tester for Audi with this car. Lots of electrical and software issues they can’t or won’t fix. #lastAudi#can’twaittogetridofit
Old 11-04-2018, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Had a Q7 TDI which I had bought used. Did the buyback (actually trade in) and got back essentially what I had paid 4 years prior! Staying with Audi let me do it as a trade, saving tax on the new one. Thankfully, no other 3-row SUV could hold a candle to the Q7 for overall package IMHO and also in towing capacity. Use it to tow a 21' travel trailer for camping trips with my family 3-5 times per year, and didn't want to be stuck driving a pickup truck all the other days of the year. Absolutely love how smooth and quiet the Q7 is, and yet is relatively fun to drive and handles nicely.