Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why does my map revert back to standard from satellite?

Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why does my map revert back to standard from satellite?

 
Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
Karrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,688
Default Why does my map revert back to standard from satellite?

Just picked up a 2019 Q7 as a kid hauler for my wife. Have noticed some quirks lately, namely that the map will randomly revert back to standard from satellite. I have to go into the menu and re-select satellite and then it flips over fine. Sometimes it stays...other times I start the car and it has gone back to standard. Anyone know if I am missing something??

Thanks,
Kent
Karrera4 is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
Doc H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: The Wilds of Nebraska
Posts: 418
Default

Happens on both my 2018s as well, along with the overhead camera shift to graphic. I've just chalked it up to Audi and moved on. Maybe a software update needed, but I assume your 2019 already has the latest. Reliable high tech programming does not seem to be a core strength of Audi.
Doc H is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:38 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 541
Default

Originally Posted by Doc H View Post
Reliable high tech programming does not seem to be a core strength of Audi.
To be completely fair its not really a core strength of a lot of so-called tech companies either! (but I totally agree about Audi)
Brimstone is offline  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:50 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Doc H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: The Wilds of Nebraska
Posts: 418
Default

Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
To be completely fair its not really a core strength of a lot of so-called tech companies either! (but I totally agree about Audi)
Considering I reboot my MS 10 operating system a half dozen times a week, truth. Maybe the systems have just gotten too complex, but I will say this about other software in other cars I've owned - whatever didn't work, uniformly didn't work when I tried that feature, and usually there was a fix somewhere along the line. In the Audis, what doesn't work seems to be variable, sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes maybe, and never a fix announced. Maybe the phase of the moon. Perhaps would be better if they followed the stopped watch analogy - at least it's right twice a day. So whatever is broken (let's use the backup camera for example), just make it permanently broken until they find a fix, if ever. Should be easy to program "broken" - the in-car manual in the Q7 being a good example: it just says "download manual" in MMI and never actually does it; I don't need to revisit that option, I know it will never work. That way, I won't have to wonder, like a box of chocolates, what I'm gonna get when I push a button...

Last edited by Doc H; 04-16-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Doc H is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 92
Default

Originally Posted by Karrera4 View Post
Just picked up a 2019 Q7 as a kid hauler for my wife. Have noticed some quirks lately, namely that the map will randomly revert back to standard from satellite. I have to go into the menu and re-select satellite and then it flips over fine. Sometimes it stays...other times I start the car and it has gone back to standard. Anyone know if I am missing something??

Thanks,
Kent
Just a thought. Google Earth map requires an internet connect through your Audi Connect subscription. If the car does not make a timely connection the map function may think the service is not available and default to the standard map. Another option is that the Audi Connect server (in the cloud) may have an issue with the google earth function so you car will not have the ability to show google maps.

I know when I had Audi connect there were times when it would not connect right away. I dropped the service since it will not pay $499 for 18 months for real time traffic info which is basically the only Audi connect service I used.
dbull is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
Karrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,688
Default

Originally Posted by dbull View Post
Just a thought. Google Earth map requires an internet connect through your Audi Connect subscription. If the car does not make a timely connection the map function may think the service is not available and default to the standard map. Another option is that the Audi Connect server (in the cloud) may have an issue with the google earth function so you car will not have the ability to show google maps.

I know when I had Audi connect there were times when it would not connect right away. I dropped the service since it will not pay $499 for 18 months for real time traffic info which is basically the only Audi connect service I used.
It seems to happen most often in my work parking garage which does have crappy cell service...so that could be part of it. Has happened a few times at home garage too so that is what made me curious if it was something else. Thanks.
Karrera4 is offline  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3
Default

Originally Posted by Karrera4 View Post
Just picked up a 2019 Q7 as a kid hauler for my wife. Have noticed some quirks lately, namely that the map will randomly revert back to standard from satellite. I have to go into the menu and re-select satellite and then it flips over fine. Sometimes it stays...other times I start the car and it has gone back to standard. Anyone know if I am missing something??

Thanks,
Kent
I've had the same problem since I got my SQ5 in February. I've asked both my stores in Tampa and Miami and they have different answers. One technologist said Audi servers goes down often and when that happens it kicks you out, but you can switch it back. A different technologist told me that should not be happening and verified my Audi account subscription to make sure it was active. It was and he said if it did it again bring it to service to see if there was an update. I brought the issue to my advisor and she also said it shouldn't be doing it and she'd get back with me to see if there was an update or if she could get any more info. Didn't hear back from her. So, I've been just leaving it on standard maps. It's annoying to keep switching it over. Next time I'm there I'll bring it up again and see if there's an update on the issue. If it doesn't stay on satellite maps, there's barely a reason for me to keep my subscription when the time comes to buy... Love the rest of the car, though

Bob
bobby111333 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
Karrera4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,688
Default

Originally Posted by bobby111333 View Post
I've had the same problem since I got my SQ5 in February. I've asked both my stores in Tampa and Miami and they have different answers. One technologist said Audi servers goes down often and when that happens it kicks you out, but you can switch it back. A different technologist told me that should not be happening and verified my Audi account subscription to make sure it was active. It was and he said if it did it again bring it to service to see if there was an update. I brought the issue to my advisor and she also said it shouldn't be doing it and she'd get back with me to see if there was an update or if she could get any more info. Didn't hear back from her. So, I've been just leaving it on standard maps. It's annoying to keep switching it over. Next time I'm there I'll bring it up again and see if there's an update on the issue. If it doesn't stay on satellite maps, there's barely a reason for me to keep my subscription when the time comes to buy... Love the rest of the car, though

Bob
It has been intermittent enough I have been switching back. I dont think it should revert back because of bad or no signal...on my S4's, S8, Q5...if there was a bad or no signal, it just told me the map might not be updated but it still showed the satellite image if that is what i had selected. Oh well...not the end of the world. I am more annoyed with the clinking sound coming from the seat behind the driver.
Karrera4 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:51 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Happens to me all the time in my 19
bcre3306 is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 09:33 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 336
Default

in my S5 sportback and prior 2018 Q7 prestige this happened as well. the recent mmi software update seems to have fixed it. version 1316. sometimes it helps to search the forums to find fixes rather than accept substandard electronics in vehicles this expensive.
OneOfOne is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does my map revert back to standard from satellite?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: