Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Wife's iPhone keeps disconnecting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wife's iPhone keeps disconnecting

My wife's phone often disconnects from her new Q7.

It will connect and work fine and then disconnect 10 minutes or so later. Mostly while she is on calls.

I plan on looking at it this weekend but anyone else experience this?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be interference if happening in a particular spot. Otherwise, I would unpair the phone to make the vehicle forget the phone. Turn off car. Restart the vehicle and pair the phone again.

This worked for me once on my BMW
Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gta7
My wife's phone often disconnects from her new Q7.

It will connect and work fine and then disconnect 10 minutes or so later. Mostly while she is on calls.

I plan on looking at it this weekend but anyone else experience this?
Was the phone connected via Bluetooth or cable (CarPlay)? I used to have a disconnection issue when using CarPlay, and it turned out to be the dirt inside the lightning port that caused random disconnection.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I keep my iPhone6 in my pocket. Lightning port collects lint. I took a wood tooth pick and gently cleaned it out. After that - no more problems.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that with iOS 11.2 that Carplay would disconnect a lot. Tonight, I tried some things in the connection manager. In the Settings, Connection Manager, under MMI Connect App, I de-selected my iPhone from it. This seemed to make Carplay more stable. However, I did notice that when the proximity sensors and popup graphic show up, that I am not able to get back to CarPlay. I have to go back into the connection manager, and select my iPhone under Audi Smartphone. I am attaching a picture of the selection screen in the MMI Connection manager to show the "Not Connected" status of the MMI connect App.

NOT selecting mobile device or the MMI connect App selection appears to reduce the amount of CarPlay drops. It does drop out when the proximity sensors come on. You can get back to CarPlay (at this time) by re-selecting your iPhone in the Connection Manager (at least for me on my 2017 Q7)
Hopefully, there will be some software updates in both the MMI as well as iOS that might fix this. This is the best that I could find right now. If anything else changes or improves I will update my post.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As another point of reference, my wife had a problem with CarPlay dropping her calls while connected via USB to her iPhone XS. We reproduced the issue at the local dealer and they suggested using the official Audi USB/lightning cord. We quickly discovered that did not solve the issue, but it got me thinking about lightning cords. I recall having issues with iPhones connecting to other devices if you didn use the iPhone USB cord from Apple. We were using a 3rd party cord because Apple cords are only white. So I switched the cord in her 2018 Q7 to an OEM Apple cord... low and behold, never another dropped call!

i have no idea whether this is the root cause, but it seems to work for us.